Another squirrel story...

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
wturkey01's thread (hilarious, btw) caused me to remember a squirrel story of my own.
Years ago, in the woods at the edge of my back yard, I saw a squirrel fall out of a tree. I laughed, and thought how rare it must be to have witnessed a squirrel falling out of a tree. It seemed stunned and just kinda laid there on the ground. Then, another squirrel descended from the same tree, scampered over to the one on the ground, bit it on the nape of its neck, and carried it straight back up the tree and disappeared.....into a hollow I'm pretty sure. The one that fell appeared as big as the one that rescued it....but I always figured it was a mama and her near-grown young. Otherwise, it would have probably just busted a gut laughing, like I did. Anybody else ever witness a squirrel rescue like this?

Belews Boy

Six Pointer
Cool story.Not seen that before but seen them fall or jump many a time. Put a dog under them and some hunters circling the tree they cant take the pressure some times. I have seen them jump and be running when hit the ground from way up top trees. Seen people dodge them coming down. Also seen them try to timber and miss judge limb and hit ground.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have seen a mama moving small young up to a nest like that. Only seen it once though. It looked like she was moving them from the base of the tree back up to the nest. Not sure if they fell out, or if she was moving them from another nest somewhere else.

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
As a kid one time I was walking to my bus stop and was watching a squirrel climb to the very top of a huge poplar tree, that seemed at that time to be 100 foot high. When the squirrel got to the very tip top. The branch he was on broke, and he feel all the way down. When that sucker hit the ground he bounced at least a foot high. I was very surprised to see him jump back up and run off.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
My ex neighbors son's hobby was squirrel torment. He would build some kind of catapult and fling them across the yard. The one I saw was a metal spaghetti strainer that he would put peanuts in. After they got comfortable going to it he would attach it to the launching mechanism. They would go in, set it off, and then get flung 20' off the deck. I wish I filmed it. They would get wise to it right away and come and look at it but would not enter after they were flung so he would change it. I don't blame them. I couldn't imagine some sinister being putting a rare piece of filet mignon on a plate everyday for me to eat and then one day I cut into it and get launched the equivalent (see the math from the other thread), a quarter mile into the woods. BTW my neighbor was 95 and his son was in his 70's doing this.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
My ex neighbors son's hobby was squirrel torment. He would build some kind of catapult and fling them across the yard. The one I saw was a metal spaghetti strainer that he would put peanuts in. After they got comfortable going to it he would attach it to the launching mechanism. They would go in, set it off, and then get flung 20' off the deck. I wish I filmed it. They would get wise to it right away and come and look at it but would not enter after they were flung so he would change it. I don't blame them. I couldn't imagine some sinister being putting a rare piece of filet mignon on a plate everyday for me to eat and then one day I cut into it and get launched the equivalent (see the math from the other thread), a quarter mile into the woods. BTW my neighbor was 95 and his son was in his 70's doing this.
A lot of folks put this on youtube, Hilarious

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
BarSinister, I find it hilarious that the entire time I was reading your story, having described the perpetrator as "my ex-neighbor's son", I was picturing a snot-nosed young hellion.....only to find out at the end it was in fact an old snot-nosed hellion. I got a good chuckle out of that. :)

Last edited:

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
Years ago I was sitting in a deer stand on a lease in South Carolina. There was a male grey squirrel on the ground in front of me. He was chasing all the other squirrels away from the acorns under an oak tree about 30 feet in front of me. He chased one squirrel up a tall slender tree about 40 feet tall. The one he was chasing got almost to the top and jumped to the next tree. The chaser was bigger than the chasee and when he tried to jump to the next tree he came up short and fell all the way to the ground. He landed on flat on his belly. When he hit the ground he must have hit his big set of cojones real hard. He raised his head up , squinted his eyes , shivered real hard and walked slowly up the hill out of sight. I laughed so hard I almost fell out of the tree.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
My favorite squirrel story happened in Granville County. I was hunting the edge of a hay field, about 80 yds back in woods. Had two squirrels eating around me, all of sudden they went nuts. Thought a big buck was walking in. Suddenly, a red tail hawk half heartedly swooped in and tried to grab a squirrel. It missed, then lit in a tree near me. Those two squirrels sat on limbs and chattered and barked at that hawk for 5 minutes. Then, all of a sudden, a second red-tail comes out of nowhere and grabs one squirrel. The other squirrel, clearly stunned and distracted by what was happening, just sat stock still on the limb it was on. The first hawk then swooped down and grabbed that squirrel! Predator team work resulted in both hawks having full bellies and two less squirrels in the woods. It was an amazing coordinated attack.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I find it hilarious that the entire time I was reading your story, having described the perpetrator as "my ex-neighbor's son", I was picturing a snot-nosed young hellion.....only to find out at the end it was in fact an old snot-nosed hellion. I got a good chuckle out of that. :)

I know whenever I told that story everyone thought the same. I think it is funnier that the guy was 73!

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
The Saga of the Ninja Squirrel..... A few years ago I was sitting outside having a smoke, watching a squirrel at the base of a silver maple in the front yard. Out of nowhere a Coopers hawk sliced down between two trees and went for the squirrel. At the last second the squirrel saw him and jumped 4-5 feet off to his right. Now the hawk is occupying the spot where the squirrel was and we had a Mexican standoff. The hawk then flew up about 5 feet and pitched down to make another attempt. The squirrel makes another similar leap off to his right and another standoff ensued. The hawk repeats his previous attempt at the squirrel but old bushytail by now has had enough of this crap. His best defense became offense and he lit out for that hawk with fire in his eyes. The hawk turned and ran/flapped for all he was worth, got about two feet off the ground and the squirrel took a flying leap at the hawk. Don't know what would have happened if he had made it good but as it turned out he just missed the hawk by inches. He then stood up on his hind legs watching the hawk as it climbed over my house and suddenly he extended his front legs out in front of him and began trembling like you wouldn't believe, calmed for a couple of seconds and began trembling again. I guess he was so up on adrenalin that he couldn't help himself.

I told this story at a local NCGO get together and one of the guys dubbed him the Ninja Squirrel. At a couple of later get togethers I was getting requests to tell the tale of the Ninja Squirrel so now you folks have heard it.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Got a bird feeder in my yard that is on a metal pole like 8-9 feet high....a 3 foot metal rod thru the pole at the top and a bird feeder hanging on each side. Have a basketball goal about 7-8 feet away and this squirrel would climb the basketball pole and get to the very top....jump all the way to the bird feeder and just set there filling his gut. Well, I go out and remove the feeder close to the ball goal and he has couple more feet to jump to make it to the other feeder....he don't make it. Only tried one time...that was enough. Saw him make that jump and he hit the ground on his belly...liked to knocked him out. He got up staggering and crawling away. Later had to put one of them metal umbrellas around the pole to keep them off feeders...they smart little buggers.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
^^^^ guy I used to work with had a bird feeder in the middle of the back yard. He had a min pin that gave the squirrel hell but the squirrel always won. One evening after a few adult beverages, he greased the pole up with some wd40.....the race was on a little bit later. The squirrel with the dog on his heels. The squirrel grabbed the pole and kept going....he said it was one of the funniest things ever witnessed. The dog still didnt win but the squirrel didnt either that day.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Last deer season I was watching three squirrels working over my deer corn. About 30 minutes later they run off chattering like crazy. After a few minutes they go silent and a big bobcat comes trotting thru. Pretty cool sight, it's they only one I've ever seen in person.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This happened over 30 years ago. We'd bought my dad a pecan tree some years earlier and it had finally started producing pecans. However, being in the city with no hunting and few predators, the squirrel population was high, and getting a pecan for human consumption was quite a challenge. We started keeping a BB gun by the door to pop the squirrels with anytime we saw one. Well, my younger sister was at the door one day and saw one up in another tree in the yard, so she grabbed the air rifle, took aim and fired and saw a furry streak hit the ground. She walked back in the house holding up her prize, asking "Does the tail count?" She'd shot the squirrels tail off!

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Not seen anything like you guys report but, as I type this, 6-8 fox squirrels are having wrestlemania 42 right in front of me. They literally body slam each other and pen the opponent to the ground. It appears that some may be trying to breed others but I can’t verify that.

This may be more entertaining than watching fawns play.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Saw 3 bobcats sitting over a corn pile probably 30 yrs ago....was like 80-90 yds out and one came in sits down...another came in sits down....finally a huge male I guess came in and they all three line up side by side just sitting there. Could probably killed all 3 one shot, but I passed.

Uwharrieman

Ten Pointer
I have seen a few miss a limb while jumping and watched them "free-fall"
to the ground. What I enjoyed is how they use their tail to balance best they can.
When I was a teen my buddy and I had squirrel hunted one morning, I got one.
We came out of the woods about 9:30 am and decided to rabbit hunt for a bit.

There was an old tobacco sled by the barn with burlap in it, I put my squirrel inside the
sled and covered the top of the sled with the burlap.
We walked the fields for about two hours, when I went to get my squirrel he was gone.
We looked everywhere and never found it, we picked the sled up and turned it over (don't know why)
and he was not to be seen. That still bugs me to this day.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
WTH! I was picturing some 14 year old punk kid that was a middle school bully or somethin! Grandads Gone Wild

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
I had three squirrels on the floorboard of my Kubota, and walked to my tree stand half mile away. When I returned they we're gone. I suspect fox or coyotes.