another season approaches,,,

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Life IS indeed good….

Can’t wait for the dove opener and then a week later, teal season! This dove hunt will be very special simply because I missed last years opener with my buddies for the first time in a 55 year career due to being hospitalized. But all appears good now and look forward to spending time with my friends and dog in the field. Blessed!

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Got alot going on and trying to get ready and a baby coming in a week and a half! Life is good and the work continues. As for hunting work, mostly trying to keep the bears out of the corn, finishing our new observation blind, mowing some areas for doves, and general work until we start bushing blinds. Got alot to do and it wont all get done as my time is gonna be very limited soon but I am gonna hammer as much as I can.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Just bought a house, moved from Havelock to New Bern. I had NO IDEA how much duck hunting gear I actually had, and now I’m gonna be digging through boxes for the next few weeks trying to make sure I have everything together…

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I have a theory about the reduced population of NC ducks.

Every subdivision retention pond I walk past has a small group. In the past 30 years, how many retention ponds were built in the mid-Atlantic states?
I think I've posted videos before but maybe not. I walk most days along a river. The greenway trail is built following stormwater or sewer lines, and runs from 30 yards to 150 yards from the River. Up the grade from the greenway trail is a big subdivision, that also has a golf course.

Below the greenway, and above the river, are lowland oxbow type lakes that vary from dry enough to walk through to swamp. Right now they look like the most lush swampy areas I've ever seen.

The last two winters starting late December they fill up with ducks. I walk in the evening and see them pouring in, it looks like a Tony Vandemore advertisement. Unbelievable.

rbhunt

Button Buck
I
Just bought a house, moved from Havelock to New Bern. I had NO IDEA how much duck hunting gear I actually had, and now I’m gonna be digging through boxes for the next few weeks trying to make sure I have everything together…
just cleaned out my shed when I moved from PA to Southport - sold a ton of it, figuring I'd by new once I figured out, where and who'd I'd be hunting with. Anyone have ideas for the southport area for public duck hunting? driveable land based as well as boat? I'd love to find some new hunting buddies, I have a young lab from southern oak kennels that is coming back from camp in late september.

Rich

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I think I've posted videos before but maybe not. I walk most days along a river. The greenway trail is built following stormwater or sewer lines, and runs from 30 yards to 150 yards from the River. Up the grade from the greenway trail is a big subdivision, that also has a golf course.

Below the greenway, and above the river, are lowland oxbow type lakes that vary from dry enough to walk through to swamp. Right now they look like the most lush swampy areas I've ever seen.

The last two winters starting late December they fill up with ducks. I walk in the evening and see them pouring in, it looks like a Tony Vandemore advertisement. Unbelievable.

I’m going to need just a little more info here.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
That’s a beautiful sight and that mallard chuckle is a beautiful sound. I have a few behind the house and it’s a such calming sound, especially compared to those braying jackasses from Canada.

To be clear though, I was hoping for some map coordinates. 😂

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
That’s a beautiful sight and that mallard chuckle is a beautiful sound. I have a few behind the house and it’s a such calming sound, especially compared to those braying jackasses from Canada.

^^He's got jokes...

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Soaking 200 pounds of rice today that will be broadcast in the morning. I hope our season is better than last year. We had plenty of water, plenty of planted and natural foods, and no ducks. :mad:

Dingbatter

Four Pointer
I

just cleaned out my shed when I moved from PA to Southport - sold a ton of it, figuring I'd by new once I figured out, where and who'd I'd be hunting with. Anyone have ideas for the southport area for public duck hunting? driveable land based as well as boat? I'd love to find some new hunting buddies, I have a young lab from southern oak kennels that is coming back from camp in late september.

Rich
There are no public areas around Southport worth much effort. If you have a good size jon boat or some type of skiff 18 to 20 ft you can hunt around the mouth of Cape Fear but be advised it didn't get that name because is sounded good. Strong current and shallow areas that can get pretty nasty. Big impoundment at Orton Plantation will suck all birds that are around, owned by a billionaire who uses it as his private playground. Overall duck hunting is pretty bad in SE NC and leases in other areas are crazy, not worth it to me. There are guides up the coast that will offer you good chances at some birds but they will book fast so get to work on that ASAP. I would suggest that for the first couple of seasons until you can get a grip on how NC hunting works. My family came to Brunswick Co. in the early 1700s, owned property from the Lockwood Folly river near Supply to the Shallotte river near Shallotte all the way to the coastline itself. Many many family members in the Supply, Varnamtown and Holden Beach area. Sadly by the time I came along all that was left for me was the family name and the history connected with it. Not such a bad thing though.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I

Rich

They may not be your thing, but I’ve been fishing on oak island in mid-late October for several years and I always see scoters running the beach. There was a couple of years they were thick. A layout boat a couple hundred yards off the beach and some spray painted black 2 liter bottles would’ve made for a dang good time.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Dingbatter, I’m a lot more concerned about Mary Lee up in my neck of the woods that down here. I hunt the Pamlico and Bay/Neuse river areas and she “pinged” just off Pamlico Point winter before last and I think it was her again most resently at the mouth of the Neuse. I diver/sea duck hunt and am always concerned when he’s on a retrieve. Never heard of a dog taken by a shark but they got to be hungry in January!

Btw, you’re spot on with your suggestion to the OP on what to do the first few seasons.

Clark

Ten Pointer
The thought of being off the beach in a layout boat with Mary Lee or one of her big buddies unning the coast is not something I want to experience.
There are big sharks inside as well, Pamlico and Core Sounds. More likely to be bulls or tigers than whites, though. They did ping a white off the Bell Island pier a few years back - while I was on it...
BTW, I often see scoters a couple hundred yards off Atlantic Beach.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
I'm not too sure of the accuracy of the shark pings. Mary Lee was up this way on the Albemarle. Supposed to have passed by the point I was training my dog on. A hour or two later she was way of Virginia beach. According to the track she went straight there. That's some incredible swimming considering there's no inlet up this way. She's also came by a point I was hunting on the Pamlico. It does make you think about the dog occasionally

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
My stamp just arrived yesterday. Easier than running the gauntlet of post offices.
I work in Lenior, a few years ago, I went to their Post Office for a stamp. They only had the previous years stamp and tried to sell it to me., they didnt realize it. Good thing i looked at it before i bought it.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer

What do you mean "braying jackasses from Canada"??