Another "off season" hunting result.....

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Those are awesome Roundball.. I have recently gotten into using a DSLR in the woods myself. Very simple beginner setup. Nikon D3200 with a 55-80mm and a 55-200mm lense. I really wish I had a 300mm or 400mm or even a telephoto converter like I believe I saw you were using. Always look forward to seeing the pics you have taken. Here are a few I got since I got the camera a couple months ago and am learning the odds and ends of shooting in raw and manual mode. And believe it or not that white rabbit was in the wild..
View attachment 36717View attachment 36718View attachment 36719View attachment 36720

Last edited:

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Doggone turkeys are a BIG bird.
Is that a wild albino rabbit or a back yard kind of pet rabbit?

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
That rabbit was in the middle of a 700 acre farm... I really really dont think it was an albino atleast not 100% but I could be wrong. I mean the eyes weren't red and the nose wasn't pink. The weird part was he let me walk within 5 feet of him and only slowly hopped off. I probably got 30 pictures of him. While he is 100% in the wild, I don't see how he could be a true wild rabbit. Its just strange cause there are no houses near there.

Either way I hope to soon have some more in depth gear like you have. You know, I thought hunting stuff was expensive but man, its got nothing on photography gear.

Last edited:

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Something you might want to consider...the nosebleed expense of today's DSLRs is because of the huge full set of automation that's now designed into them and lenses.
Auto exposure, auto focus, auto image stabilization, etc, etc, etc...basically just extremely expensive point & shoot cameras.

Alternatively, "Legacy" glass from the big name companies is still the same top quality today that it was 20-30 years ago during film days...the difference being they don't have all the "auto-everything" point & shoot features...you have to manually focus them like we always did.

The reason I went with the Sony NEX-7 was because it was advertised to accept legacy glass with a simple adapter and my entire inventory of Canon FD lenses from the 80's jumped back to life. I just use my Canon FD lenses in Aperture mode, the camera reads the light coming in based on a selected Aperture setting, and sets the shutter speed according to whatever ISO I set.
(Its really simple...just like it always was: set ISO & Aperture...then go afield...see something, just focus & shoot)

The even better news is that you can pick up good clean name brand legacy lenses for the cost of a few double whoppers off EBay all the time.
But even their prices are starting to inch up as more people find out they don't need the high priced full automation.

Check to see if your Nikon accepts legacy lenses with an adapter...doesn't even have to be Nikon lenses.
The adapter manufacturers today make many variations of adapters.
For example, I use "Sony NEX-7 / Canon FD" adapters...because I already had the Canon FD lenses.
But I could just as easily buy a "Sony NEX-7 / Nikon (or Minolta, etc, etc) adapter" and use those lenses.

Last edited:

bflee

The rabbit is just white. Not an albino. If he were albino his eye would have no color either. It would be pink.
Just a side note!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk