Another Duck Hunting Tragedy

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
You actually shoot ducks or have a chance at p.p. Not at a jetty in dirty myrtle. That’s what gets me. Wtf was he doing, shooting comerants on the way to feed on cigarette butts? I don’t get it. Please some one educate me on jetty hunting.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
You actually shoot ducks or have a chance at p.p. Not at a jetty in dirty myrtle. That’s what gets me. Wtf was he doing, shooting comerants on the way to feed on cigarette butts? I don’t get it. Please some one educate me on jetty hunting.
Only thing I can figure was they were chasing scoters. In a small boat I don't know why....been years but the 2 times I went to dirty myrtle for new years eve it was stacked with scoters in the ocean. Seen em every time I went on the balcony to smoke 😂

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Only thing I can figure was they were chasing scoters. In a small boat I don't know why....been years but the 2 times I went to dirty myrtle for new years eve it was stacked with scoters in the ocean. Seen em every time I went on the balcony to smoke 😂
You learn something every day!

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I don't believe its a scam, more like some very bad decisions on these guys part. A 16 ft jon boat going through the jetties and out the inlet with small craft advisory in effect isn't the best idea. The fact that he had mechanical issues coming through the inlet didn't help. That being said how many guys go to Pamlico point on permit hunts in simular boats in simular conditions, or anywhere else along the coast every season. Wrong place Wrong time. He screwed up and it cost him his life. Sad

As a kid I regularly took a 16' Jon boat with a 35 tiller through the pass to go to the gulf island, fish beachfront, or bottom fish. However, I only did it in summer/warm water and obviously calm days (never late afternoon). Grew up on a 700 acre lake and got my share of fright from thunderstorms popping over the trees, but in any, of those situations I was never concerned about entering the water and swimming for it.

Add cold water and things change significantly.

I feel sorry for this guy's friends and family. It's one of those things that in the moment probably seemed like they could pull off. I've survived a lot of bad decisions that went sideways, but if you do it enough it'll catch up to you.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I’m not sure about that particular jetty but there is another jetty in SC that guys shoot scoters and a few common eiders around.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Not far from that area down in george town it used to be a duck mecca around those rice fields. I'm sure it's not the same now but I knew an old guy that hunted that area during the glory days and he told me it was as good as anywhere else in the country. I have seen a handfull of scoters around the myrtle area in the late fall/winter but never that many. I have heard of people targeting them. I wondered why they would be hunting a jetty as well and sea ducks are the only thing that would make sense.

Dingbatter

Four Pointer
The big WMA Sam worth just north of Georgetown has really taken a beating from hurricanes past few years. SCDNR has spent a lot of money trying to get it back in shape, but I hear a lot of grumbling from guys in that area. They're saying poor management by SCDNR. Actually saw a YouTube video this week about this