Annual Plot Advice *update*

BJordan

Eight Pointer
See comments below for updated pictures.

I have a 1/2 acre separated by fence from a 10 acre open field I'd like to do something for the deer in. I'm not interested in perennial as I want to plant for doves in the spring. I planted sunflowers this year and what the deer didn't eat did well but I did have a lot of weeds come up also. I had a few birds show up so hoping to build on that for next year. I'm not a farmer/gardener so I don't know what to plant and don;t have any experience planting. Been searching the forum a few hours today and have information overload. It's currently disked up and ready to plant unless I need to spray first. I'm new to planting so something easier to grow the better. I'm sure I'll learn alot along the way and be able to improve in the years to come. Thanks.

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
plant a 1/2 mix of rye grain and oats or a 1/3 mix of rye grain, oats and wheat. Add a pound of crimson clover and a pound of 7 top turnips and you've got a great food plot that will carry you through winter.
Eric is right...

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
plant a 1/2 mix of rye grain and oats or a 1/3 mix of rye grain, oats and wheat. Add a pound of crimson clover and a pound of 7 top turnips and you've got a great food plot that will carry you through winter.

This is great advice. Inexpensive, easy, attractive to wildlife.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Eric is on point another suggestion is a Mix of Austrian winter peas and some cheap oats And u get a bonus turkey hunt in spring too If you bush hog a few streaks.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Rye grain is my favorite for fall food plots for the fall/winter. Comes up really good by just broadcasting it plus it will kill off a lot of weeds. Oats will die out in some cases and wheat can be tough to germinate unless you are drilling it. I've never seen much evidence of deer eating Crimson Clover for some reason here or winter peas so i've quit planting both of those anymore. I will add some rape mixture in it.

Last edited:

BJordan

Eight Pointer
Update, its looking great! Thanks for all the help/advice.
e6c3a607c7e1b793bcadf6e5aff26018.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hit that mid-November with 3 bags of triple 10 fertilizer right before a rain and you'll be amazed at the new growth spurt. You can also use just plain nitrogen if you can find it and do just as good.