Angry, Chix Wings Prices

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Those whom know me are well aware that chix wings are not only a HUGE part of my diet, but also an item I consider cooking to be a form of art. I have long searched for "the perfect wing" like that japanese dude searching for the perfect bloom in the movie "Last Samurai".

Tonight, with the Bristol Race, Space X Splashdown, ISS apparently in an hour and a half, seemed like a PERFECT night to cook chix wings (I have also cooked them in sleet, hail, fog, snow, etc).

I run up to the local Harris Teeter, they know me there. I was SHOCKED to see 1 full tray of wings cost $24.00!!!!!

Literally $4.99 per pound!!!!

Boneless skinless chix breasts are only $1.99 per pound, same with boneless tenders. Chix drumsticks? $1.50 per pound!!!! Same with thighs.

WTH happened that caused chix wings to become more valuable (per volume) than GAS, Water, Good cuts of BEEF, Seafood, !?!?!?!?!

Anyone who knows me knows chix wings are an IMPORTANT part of my lifestyle! I take pictures, I cook them, I even eat them at restaurants and give feedback.
I can NOT afford $46 in chix wings every night I want to have a "cookout".

Somewhere is a crook.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
If you can wait till November you can get 40 pounds of wings for $140. Or, if you would settle for drumsticks, you can get 40 pounds for $25.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
Those whom know me are well aware that chix wings are not only a HUGE part of my diet, but also an item I consider cooking to be a form of art. I have long searched for "the perfect wing" like that japanese dude searching for the perfect bloom in the movie "Last Samurai".

Tonight, with the Bristol Race, Space X Splashdown, ISS apparently in an hour and a half, seemed like a PERFECT night to cook chix wings (I have also cooked them in sleet, hail, fog, snow, etc).

I run up to the local Harris Teeter, they know me there. I was SHOCKED to see 1 full tray of wings cost $24.00!!!!!

Boneless skinless chix breasts are only $1.99 per pound, same with boneless tenders. Chix drumsticks? $1.50 per pound!!!! Same with thighs.

WTH happened that caused chix wings to become more valuable (per volume) than GAS, Water, Good cuts of BEEF, Seafood, !?!?!?!?!

Anyone who knows me knows chix wings are an IMPORTANT part of my lifestyle! I take pictures, I cook them, I even eat them at restaurants and give feedback.

Somewhere is a crook.
Thanks Shaggy

Fatkid

Eight Pointer
It’s football season…..inflation touches all corners of society.

didn’t they have a shortage of wings last year?

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So in a nutshell....

The US has a few months of chicken wings frozen at all times. This is including grocery stores, eating joints, major chicken plants....etc.

Last year we had “COVID”. Lots fewer people working. Even more working from home. Food delivery services have went crazy with business.

Basically.....there has been a large surge in chicken wing eating going on.

the supply has dwindled and now you are seeing demand stay similar or even go down a bit. Supply can’t keep up. Prices go up, up, up. Inflation isn’t helping....but chicken wing prices are a direct result of eat out joints being shut down and carry out places being used more. USA has been putting down wings like hotdogs on the 4th in Coney Island.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And now you know the rest of the story.

how about figuring out how to make breasts cook up as fulfilling as wings.

boneless skinless thighs are a good fall back.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
It didn’t help supply is lower due to the effects of the shutdown and other business practices but the recent shortage I would attribute to is the Listeria outbreak. While it was the precooked portion that was recalled, these products needed to be caught back up so meat has to come from somewhere.

704Josh

Four Pointer
I was talking with the owner of a bar in PA while I was there during turkey season this yr. She showed me her spreadsheets from January 2020 to may 2021. I can’t recall the exact numbers but in may she was paying more than she ever had. Normally the high price is at the time of the super bowl then goes down by more than 50% of that price throughout the yr. This yr it hit the high mark and kept climbing.

I was in Idaho a few wks ago and a restaurant we ate at was serving skinless bone in thighs instead of wings.
I eat a lot of wings in a lot of places and I can’t make sense of any of the price increases as they are. I don’t buy the high demand argument as I can’t see it being any different than past yrs. I’ve seen many privately owned places stop serving bone in and just go to boneless (which are disgusting) because they refuse to pay and pass on the high prices.

I read a rather long article about the price increases back in may and in the end it didn’t actually give an explanation.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Somewhere is a crook.

They're only allowed to sell the left wings, so that cuts availability in half... 😁

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Don’t know why the price is so high but I can back up NCST8GUY love of wings. Saw him eat wings whole one night, bone and all! He did end up in the hospital the next day. Still an impressive feat!

Have also seen him eat them for breakfast at o dark thirty before we went out for a morning hunt.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wings have been that way for months.

That's why we've moved to legs. 5lbs for $3 vs 5lbs for $25.

Last edited:

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
It is like Ribeye, Filet mignon or any other sought after product. Supply and demand. There are still only 2 wings on each chicken killed. Look at the price of scallops, king crab legs, Jumbo Lump Crab Meat, and fine cuts of beef. King crab legs are now $50/pound where they were 30/# last year.

It IS political by the way. Old papa Biden still wants to incentivize people not to work. Not enough workers at the Purdue processing facility and the price goes up due to limited production. That doesn't take into account inflation for all of our gubment monies that have been injected into the system......

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When your EBT card is based on multiple " dependents" that are recycled by multiple people, you can afford to buy the choice meats that the working class has to bypass for less expensive cuts.
I usee to love some wings..lots of fried and smothered wings. I can't even remember the last time I cooked any.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yup even when you catch the wings on managers special on one's bout go out date they still higher than my preferred thighs. Thighs have always been my part of chicken I'm stocked up real good on boneless ones caught bunch real cheap I grill em an bbq em or fry either way good eats

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Simple Supply and demand. Demand is high and we can’t get birds killed in the plants due to the unemployment benefits being paid to u skilled labor to sit at home. As a result, bird placements have been cut, which has cut the supply of wings on the market. This isn’t going to be fixed for a while.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yup even when you catch the wings on managers special on one's bout go out date they still higher than my preferred thighs. Thighs have always been my part of chicken I'm stocked up real good on boneless ones caught bunch real cheap I grill em an bbq em or fry either way good eats

That's the only time we buy wings now. Managers special.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
None of this makes much sense to me as do most things these days. In the link I posted they are selling 40# boxes of legs or thighs for $25. And floks are lineing up for them. Don't see how there can be any shortage of live chickens nor processors if they are moving product in that quantity all over the state instead of putting them in the grocery stores. The wings are still up there in price I believe about $3.50/lb. but I always thought it was because there was such a demand for them. I've still got plenty of thighs and drumsticks from the first time they sold like this and just don't have room for any more right now or would be back out there for more.

Packfan

Eight Pointer
None of this makes much sense to me as do most things these days. In the link I posted they are selling 40# boxes of legs or thighs for $25. And floks are lineing up for them. Don't see how there can be any shortage of live chickens nor processors if they are moving product in that quantity all over the state instead of putting them in the grocery stores. The wings are still up there in price I believe about $3.50/lb. but I always thought it was because there was such a demand for them. I've still got plenty of thighs and drumsticks from the first time they sold like this and just don't have room for any more right now or would be back out there for more.
Keep this in mind. You get two mouthfuls with two wings. That’s it. And that’s one bird that dies to get that. Breast meat has a whole lot more mouth-fulls per bird. And let’s be honest, drumsticks are just not that desirable in the USA. That’s why Nash Johnson(you guys see them as House of Raeford on the retail side) is selling those bulk boxes….to clear up freezer space and to move some product down the line. That’s part of the supply/demand equation. It all makes sense to me. I’ve been on just about every side of the poultry industry (except for cut-up thank goodness) over the last 20+ years.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Keep this in mind. You get two mouthfuls with two wings. That’s it. And that’s one bird that dies to get that. Breast meat has a whole lot more mouth-fulls per bird. And let’s be honest, drumsticks are just not that desirable in the USA. That’s why Nash Johnson(you guys see them as House of Raeford on the retail side) is selling those bulk boxes….to clear up freezer space and to move some product down the line. That’s part of the supply/demand equation. It all makes sense to me. I’ve been on just about every side of the poultry industry (except for cut-up thank goodness) over the last 20+ years.

Yeah but no chix die JUST for their wings right?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i would say that based on the local processing plant not having enough help to run wide open there are similar issues across the country.