An Observation

My observation is everyone is so worried about what other people are doing. Who cares. Mind your own business. If they are not breaking any laws why do you care. Just because you think it should be done a certain way doesn’t make it so. Why are folks all up in everyone’s business anyways?

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Laughing, I lived aboard a 50' houseboat and worked at the same 28 acre marina on the St. Johns River in Florida for the better part of 15 years. Aside from the obvious perks, you wanna know what the biggest benefit was? If I didn't like my neighbors I just untied the freakin' dock lines and moved to another spot....

Eventually I had great neighbors, the kind that if they saw you on your front deck in the evening without a beer in your hand they brought some over.

Sounds like some of y'all should either cut the lines loose....or try bringing the beer..... ;)

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Laughing, I lived aboard a 50' houseboat and worked at the same 28 acre marina on the St. Johns River in Florida for the better part of 15 years. Aside from the obvious perks, you wanna know what the biggest benefit was? If I didn't like my neighbors I just untied the freakin' dock lines and moved to another spot....

Eventually I had great neighbors, the kind that if they saw you on your front deck in the evening without a beer in your hand they brought some over.

Sounds like some of y'all should either cut the lines loose....or try bringing the beer..... ;)
so you're saying torch the neighbors???😄

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve done a lot of things in life.

This is not one of them.
FF21F8FD-D82B-416E-B5E8-7B9C79241B5B.jpeg7D0AF330-330A-45E3-9E76-591A108BA4C1.jpeg

Being one of the most used piece of machinery, wax makes a quick rinse in between cutting and baling. I’d rather look at that red nose instead of that weirdly similar to an inferior tractor paint scheme.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
View attachment 96440View attachment 96441

Being one of the most used piece of machinery, wax makes a quick rinse in between cutting and baling. I’d rather look at that red nose instead of that weirdly similar to an inferior tractor paint scheme.

I can’t argue with that. Before reading what your wrote I got tickled thinking I never cut, waxed, baled. That’s a new interim step for me.

These modern farming practices. Do you wax before or after raking?

ol bob

Six Pointer
Sure wish all I had to worry about was the neighbors high grass and weed eating. Sitting on my front porch I'm looking at, 3 40' semi trailers, 5 12X24 utility building, a 20' utility trailer, 2 cars and a truck, about 6 large signs from a business, 8 to 10 large campaign signs from the last election, and a few bags of garbage, and a house.All on 1 acre.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I’m going to dust off my millennial soapbox and have an “ok, Boomer” moment here.
The oldest millennials were 24 and the youngest around 9 or 10 when the Great Recession hit. My dad was lucky. He kept his job, but I saw all sorts of men up and down my block laid off, in their 50’s, without great prospects. There was only one foreclosure on our block because most folks had lived there a decade or more. My mom was a nurse, a supposedly recessionproof profession and she couldn’t get work in a hospital, and worked as a school nurse at $15 an hour. My college girlfriend had to take a part time job at a nursing home after passing her boards and graduating with a BSN (with honors.)

I remember a couple summers that I made extra money cleaning out and mowing foreclosures for investors.

I remember all sorts of slightly older friends and family that found themselves put in a position of praying the bank approved their shortsale offer if they had to move for various reasons.

I remember being the only one of my friends from college that DIDN’t work cleaning up the foreclosure crisis, dealing with HAMP and HARP loan modifications. I remember a good friend that made $10 more an hour than the rest of them, because his job was calling homeowners and telling them, “sorry, we’re foreclosing.” I remember him saying he didn’t know how to react when a grown man broke down crying. I also remember him becoming progressively more cynical about it all…first he’d say “we only ever seem to foreclose on houses with equity.” He said it with a sense of guilt. Then he said “idiots have equity, sell the damn farm grandpa.” He’s a VP at a major bank now.

So yeah, I don’t see my house as a trophy worth polishing. It’s a pile of sticks and bricks that allows me to paint or have dogs without answering to a landlord, that largely secures my housing costs over the long term. Nothing more.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I'm afraid I'm becoming a millennial. About all I can do these days is ride the mower once a week and that takes me about 3.5 hrs. I have to hire somebody to do the weedeating. I never did much pulling weeds but have now just gone to roundup for weeds and edging. The good thing is, I am so far away from everyone that hardly anyone ever sees the place. But then, that is my problem. I can't stand to see the things going downhill that I worked so hard to keep up. The wood's pathes,around the pond, the grass in the driveway, firewood..... and on and on. It gets really depressing sometimes when you see all that needs done and can't handle it any more.
Lee, your place looks great, well except the chiggers:oops:

hoyt85

Six Pointer
I think it's a combination of many things...priorities, time management, mind seat, pride, and work ethic being at the top. Unfortunately my wife and I fall into the "millennial" category and we both greatly resent it. I'll be 37 in a few days, she's 38 and if you look at most folks our age and back up 10 years to say 27 or 28 "our" mindset is vastly different....vastly. Almost to the point that it's laughable. I have friends tell me all the time how busy they are or have been and I just laugh. I or we, can literally run circles around most of our "friends" when they start listing the things they feel like they've accomplished throughout the day to equate to how busy they've been.

I've held down a 40 hour week job and done lawncare and landscaping on the side for 14 years now averaging 15 yards a week on top of mine. I do it for extra money to fund my hobbies and other enjoyments in life. I hunt, fish, workout, shoot my bow, travel etc. So when someone says they don't have time or are too busy I laugh. Is my yard in tip top shape. No. Does it look nice, yes. Are the shrubs trimmed, are the pine needles weed free, is the driveway edged, gutters kept clean? Yeah they are and so are the other properties I take care of. Do I work some Saturdays throughout the year? Yes, but it's minimal and it's generally bigger projects other than just general weekly maintenance. Do I spend 3 to 4 hours a day on my yard or anyone else's yard...No. It's really not that hard to get a property in check if you take the right steps to where just general once a week maintenance in regards to mowing, trimming, edging and blowing things off. Tons or variables come into play in terms of the size of the property or other factors in life such as working X amount of hours or possibly out of town work. I've just never understood how someone can't "find" the time to keep their yard up, especially on something that's less than an acre and most now have cookie cutter yards and still let :donk:donk:donk:donk go. It's not finding the time, it's taking the time to do so, which is where pride and time management come into play. And if you have a partner in crime and you personally don't have the time, hopefully you're lucky enough to have a woman who doesn't mind jumping on the mower or taking care of other odd and ends. Which, in that regard I'm very lucky.
My wife loves flowers, loves to garden, and loves being outside once her 40 or 50 hour a week job is taken care of. She's a worker. She'll help spread pine needles, trim shrubs, mow.....anything. She started a little side canning business last year and it's really taken off. Anything from pickles, okra, beets, carrots, cauliflower, chow chow....she cans it and sells it. Along with eggs from our chickens and homemade ranch....People buy homemade ranch from her because they're either too damn stupid to make it themselves or too damn lazy to do so. I mean it's money in our pocket but just simple little tasks people would rather pay for the convenience instead of learning to do so themselves and taking the time to do so. Since January she's canned over one thousand quarts and still finds the time to take care of the daily household tasks, cooks dinner and in general keeps our life rolling. Nothing like most women these days that are in our age bracket that can't even keep a damn fern alive for more than a few weeks because their too damn preoccupied with their hair, nails, instagram or some bull crap that's on tick tock. I mean how hard is it to keep a freaking fern alive? And no, she's not some homely looking woman, in fact she's rather beautiful and was lucky enough to be raised by hard working parents who taught her the value of hard work and taking pride in what you have and making the most of it. She'll drink the hell out of beer and has one helluva right hook. When you look up the definition of a woman, its her. What you see walking around on most sidewalks or in department stores nowadays are not women. They are girls....and much can be said about "most males" you see these days....they are not men, they are merely boys who couldn't change a light bulb if it wasn't for your tube or some app.

I've got some pet peeves with some of my older neighbors, not just younger ones. I mean how hard is it to blow the grass out of the road? Why must you leave it. Is it because they don't care or just too damn lazy. I mean they found the time to mow their yard, why can't they take the time or have enough pride to finish the damn job? I mean if you're gonna start something you might as well finish the damn job. Otherwise, don't start something you're not going to finish. And don't get me started on leaving your trash can out on the side of the road for 3 or 4 days after the trash company has come by.

I know a guy who has it made and is a little younger than I am. He's Never had to work for anything, has been given and handed property, a business, trucks, toys etc. He left for the beach the other day and didn't even blow his driveway off before he left, and he has a nice place, just no pride. Mostly due to the fact he didn't have to earn what he has. His wife stays home with a 3 year old and literally does nothing, I mean nothing all day long. She has food and groceries delivered. I mean how sorry and lazy do you have to be to not find enough time to load up your kid and take an hour out of your week and go to the grocery store or find time to cook supper while you butt is literally inside that house all day long. The mindset of many now is we'll just pay for convenience and it's going to come back and bite us all in the ass as we continue the destruction of this country because eventually grocery shopping we'll just be wholesale outlets with curbside pick up or delivery and those businesses will be able to operate with half staff so we'll cut even more jobs out.

I could stay on my soap box and go on and on and give countless examples that I'm sure most of us have seen or experienced up to this point. The bottom line. I hate laziness. I don't care if you drive a 20 year old vehicle or have a brand new ride. I don't care if you have a million dollar home or live in a single wide trailer. I don't care if you make 400K a year of make 50K a year. You can still have pride, you can still take care of the things you have, you can still make things look as nice as possible because ultimately, IMO....what the outside of your home or property looks like is a reflection of what the inside looks like. Just like the outside of your life should be a reflection of the inside. Very, very seldom have I ever walked into a residence that looked like :donk:donk:donk:donk on the outside only to be amazed at how well kept, neat and tidy the inside was.

Bottom line. It grates my nerves to see the laziness in so many people. Everyone just wants a hand out and many don't seem to understand or can grasp the concept of working for what you want and not sitting around waiting on a free handout or someone else to do something for you. And sadly, they continue to reproduce at an alarming rate and the deterioration continues And no. I'm not some busy body who wants to have my nose in someone else's business or affairs. You'll never see me with my face in my phone at a restaurant, bar, or while eating with my wife friends or family. I don't ooh and ahh over the kardashian's or give two craps what's on tick tock or who posted some stupid damn story on instagram about how great their life is. I'm busy living my life and doing me. And I take great pride in every aspect. However, I am very observant...and this is my observation.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I added lime and fertilizer to the yard back when i firrt moved in. After HAVING to cut twice a week, i vowed never again.\

I'm the same. It's a yard, not a lawn. Now, back in the day when stuff was cheap, a guy in out group went on a 2 week vacation. Every time it was supposed to rain, we would go over and throw soda and feralizer on his yard. He was one of those, keep it 3 inches tall guys. He probably mowed twice a week the rest of that year.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm the same. It's a yard, not a lawn. Now, back in the day when stuff was cheap, a guy in out group went on a 2 week vacation. Every time it was supposed to rain, we would go over and throw soda and feralizer on his yard. He was one of those, keep it 3 inches tall guys. He probably mowed twice a week the rest of that year.
Dang, I'd do that to dad's yard just for the fun of it but fertilizer's too dang expensive now. He just mows what grows, but he has a lot to mow at various properties. I thought about posting his mower for sale on Craigslist this april 1 as a prank with his phone number, but he'd have gotten royally PO'd.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I think it's a combination of many things...priorities, time management, mind seat, pride, and work ethic being at the top. Unfortunately my wife and I fall into the "millennial" category and we both greatly resent it. I'll be 37 in a few days, she's 38 and if you look at most folks our age and back up 10 years to say 27 or 28 "our" mindset is vastly different....vastly. Almost to the point that it's laughable. I have friends tell me all the time how busy they are or have been and I just laugh. I or we, can literally run circles around most of our "friends" when they start listing the things they feel like they've accomplished throughout the day to equate to how busy they've been.

I've held down a 40 hour week job and done lawncare and landscaping on the side for 14 years now averaging 15 yards a week on top of mine. I do it for extra money to fund my hobbies and other enjoyments in life. I hunt, fish, workout, shoot my bow, travel etc. So when someone says they don't have time or are too busy I laugh. Is my yard in tip top shape. No. Does it look nice, yes. Are the shrubs trimmed, are the pine needles weed free, is the driveway edged, gutters kept clean? Yeah they are and so are the other properties I take care of. Do I work some Saturdays throughout the year? Yes, but it's minimal and it's generally bigger projects other than just general weekly maintenance. Do I spend 3 to 4 hours a day on my yard or anyone else's yard...No. It's really not that hard to get a property in check if you take the right steps to where just general once a week maintenance in regards to mowing, trimming, edging and blowing things off. Tons or variables come into play in terms of the size of the property or other factors in life such as working X amount of hours or possibly out of town work. I've just never understood how someone can't "find" the time to keep their yard up, especially on something that's less than an acre and most now have cookie cutter yards and still let :donk:donk:donk:donk go. It's not finding the time, it's taking the time to do so, which is where pride and time management come into play. And if you have a partner in crime and you personally don't have the time, hopefully you're lucky enough to have a woman who doesn't mind jumping on the mower or taking care of other odd and ends. Which, in that regard I'm very lucky.
My wife loves flowers, loves to garden, and loves being outside once her 40 or 50 hour a week job is taken care of. She's a worker. She'll help spread pine needles, trim shrubs, mow.....anything. She started a little side canning business last year and it's really taken off. Anything from pickles, okra, beets, carrots, cauliflower, chow chow....she cans it and sells it. Along with eggs from our chickens and homemade ranch....People buy homemade ranch from her because they're either too damn stupid to make it themselves or too damn lazy to do so. I mean it's money in our pocket but just simple little tasks people would rather pay for the convenience instead of learning to do so themselves and taking the time to do so. Since January she's canned over one thousand quarts and still finds the time to take care of the daily household tasks, cooks dinner and in general keeps our life rolling. Nothing like most women these days that are in our age bracket that can't even keep a damn fern alive for more than a few weeks because their too damn preoccupied with their hair, nails, instagram or some bull crap that's on tick tock. I mean how hard is it to keep a freaking fern alive? And no, she's not some homely looking woman, in fact she's rather beautiful and was lucky enough to be raised by hard working parents who taught her the value of hard work and taking pride in what you have and making the most of it. She'll drink the hell out of beer and has one helluva right hook. When you look up the definition of a woman, its her. What you see walking around on most sidewalks or in department stores nowadays are not women. They are girls....and much can be said about "most males" you see these days....they are not men, they are merely boys who couldn't change a light bulb if it wasn't for your tube or some app.

I've got some pet peeves with some of my older neighbors, not just younger ones. I mean how hard is it to blow the grass out of the road? Why must you leave it. Is it because they don't care or just too damn lazy. I mean they found the time to mow their yard, why can't they take the time or have enough pride to finish the damn job? I mean if you're gonna start something you might as well finish the damn job. Otherwise, don't start something you're not going to finish. And don't get me started on leaving your trash can out on the side of the road for 3 or 4 days after the trash company has come by.
Its really hard when your wife has ran the battery down on the blower and not put it on the charger. Again.

ctsnow

Six Pointer

I know a guy who has it made and is a little younger than I am. He's Never had to work for anything, has been given and handed property, a business, trucks, toys etc. He left for the beach the other day and didn't even blow his driveway off before he left, and he has a nice place, just no pride. Mostly due to the fact he didn't have to earn what he has. His wife stays home with a 3 year old and literally does nothing, I mean nothing all day long. She has food and groceries delivered. I mean how sorry and lazy do you have to be to not find enough time to load up your kid and take an hour out of your week and go to the grocery store or find time to cook supper while you butt is literally inside that house all day long. The mindset of many now is we'll just pay for convenience and it's going to come back and bite us all in the ass as we continue the destruction of this country because eventually grocery shopping we'll just be wholesale outlets with curbside pick up or delivery and those businesses will be able to operate with half staff so we'll cut even more jobs out.

I could stay on my soap box and go on and on and give countless examples that I'm sure most of us have seen or experienced up to this point. The bottom line. I hate laziness. I don't care if you drive a 20 year old vehicle or have a brand new ride. I don't care if you have a million dollar home or live in a single wide trailer. I don't care if you make 400K a year of make 50K a year. You can still have pride, you can still take care of the things you have, you can still make things look as nice as possible because ultimately, IMO....what the outside of your home or property looks like is a reflection of what the inside looks like. Just like the outside of your life should be a reflection of the inside. Very, very seldom have I ever walked into a residence that looked like :donk:donk:donk:donk on the outside only to be amazed at how well kept, neat and tidy the inside was.

Bottom line. It grates my nerves to see the laziness in so many people. Everyone just wants a hand out and many don't seem to understand or can grasp the concept of working for what you want and not sitting around waiting on a free handout or someone else to do something for you. And sadly, they continue to reproduce at an alarming rate and the deterioration continues And no. I'm not some busy body who wants to have my nose in someone else's business or affairs. You'll never see me with my face in my phone at a restaurant, bar, or while eating with my wife friends or family. I don't ooh and ahh over the kardashian's or give two craps what's on tick tock or who posted some stupid damn story on instagram about how great their life is. I'm busy living my life and doing me. And I take great pride in every aspect. However, I am very observant...and this is my observation.
Important question, what’s that ranch recipe? 😆 we have tried several but just haven’t found one that is good.

hoyt85

Six Pointer
Its really hard when your wife has ran the battery down on the blower and not put it on the charger. Again.

She's gotta keep them blower motors charged up and ready at a moments notice. Never know when work needs to be done.

Important question, what’s that ranch recipe? 😆 we have tried several but just haven’t found one that is good.

Evidently it's a good one from how much people buy, but you'd have to take that up with her lol. She's kinda stingy about her recipes. If you've got some prime turkey ground I'll bring you a 55 gallon drum, so there are exceptions to every rule.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I mowed my grass once this year. Mowed the shooting range once this year. I realized that I didn't like doing it like I thought I did. So, I'll let the teenagers do it.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
My neighbor and I both started working on our yards at the same time this morning (roughly 830ish). I mowed, trimmed and blew or the drive way and sidewalk. All done by 0915. I then took my kid fishing for a couple hours and then we had lunch together. We are now sitting by pool doing nothing.

My neighbor is STILL working on his yard. And we both live on 0.5 acre lots.

Yes his yard is much nicer than mine. But my kid and I caught 25 fish and spent some great quality time with each other.