Ammo in stock?

ermiller1016

Four Pointer
Contributor
Where are folks finding ammo these days? I can’t seem to find any at Cabelas or Bass Pro. Do the smaller gun shops have ammo? Live in the Raleigh / Durham area and haven’t been able to find anything in 308, 6.5, etc.

moonlight

Four Pointer
Perry's has plenty of 6.5 creedmoor as of closing time today, $35/box. Actually they have a pretty good supply of most calibers. The only thing I didn't see was 6.5PRC.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Where are folks finding ammo these days? I can’t seem to find any at Cabelas or Bass Pro. Do the smaller gun shops have ammo? Live in the Raleigh / Durham area and haven’t been able to find anything in 308, 6.5, etc.

I've seen some at smaller gun shops but you'll pay. Found a lot of 9mm ammo at Guns Plus Two in Fayetteville but they wanted $40 for a 50 round box. I was actually surprised at how much ammo they did have in stock but again its because they raised the price. The big box stores have all been pretty much cleared out. I personally havent seen the big box stores raise their prices on ammo which is probably why they were cleared out first.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
It’s around if you have the cash. I’ve watched 9mm on the search engines double in price. $40 a box is average right now.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Local shops here have been tapped out. When they do get shipments, there’s usually a line out the door. Limits on purchases too. Glad I stocked up last year. Been selective on what and why I shoot certain calibers. Other than 00 buck in 12 and 20ga I’m happy with my reserves

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Unless you get lucky running through local shops and pawn,online only consistent stocks I see is buds gun. Its hit and miss but checking randomly about twice a week I notice a few calibers available. Seems to have buckshot right now with limited selection. Thank God I stocked up this spring at the first signs of military calibers getting bought up. Reloading supply too at last minute before selection of powder,bullets got wiped out. Going to be a longtime before this is over

guyo

Ten Pointer
I buy my guns at windy Hill 6 in the last 2 years I have found that they can find me Ammo when I need it.
They have gotten me 444,45/70, and 45 LC in the last mouth at what I think as the going price at this time .

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m lucky that I travel all over for work. I get it wherever I find it.
I’ve found it at the big box stores
(Walmart, Academy, BPS, Cabelas, etc), hole in the wall Mom and Pop stores, local hardware stores, gun shows, etc.

Anytime I can stop anywhere that might have ammo, reloading components, or what have you, I stop.

Picked up my latest score at a gas station in Missouri. They had about 40 boxes of in assorted cartridges. I bought all they had that me or anyone I know had a rifle for. Was surprised to find 5 boxes of Federal Blue Box 150 gr .30/30 for $19 a box.

You never know where you might find ammo.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I’m lucky that I travel all over for work. I get it wherever I find it.
I’ve found it at the big box stores
(Walmart, Academy, BPS, Cabelas, etc), hole in the wall Mom and Pop stores, local hardware stores, gun shows, etc.

Anytime I can stop anywhere that might have ammo, reloading components, or what have you, I stop.

Picked up my latest score at a gas station in Missouri. They had about 40 boxes of in assorted cartridges. I bought all they had that me or anyone I know had a rifle for. Was surprised to find 5 boxes of Federal Blue Box 150 gr .30/30 for $19 a box.

You never know where you might find ammo.

That 30-30 is a good score. I haven't found any.
Except the $90/box Commemorative stuff.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That 30-30 is a good score. I haven't found any.
Except the $90/box Commemorative stuff.
I’ve found some here and there, and I’ve seen the $$$$ stuff, I’ve yet to spend more than $20a box on any of it.
I’ve picked up maybe 30 boxes of assorted 30/30 ammo since October. Probably the least of any cartridge I’ve bought.

I was out in EC a couple months ago and dropped in Chaunceys. They had plenty of .30/30, but at $50 a box on up, I let em keep it.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
A buddy of mine just bought 5 boxes of remington core lokt 30-30 150gr. Paid 30$ per box but it was a parking lot deal. Said original sticker had 15.97$

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Pretty much looks like there will be a shortage for at least the next 9 months.

People buying it like toilet paper, and factories running 100% as it is.

All my local gun stores say that they basically have every caliber and brand checked for order and they don’t even know what they are getting till it gets there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
Academy sports gets their shipments Monday morning (and Fridays??) last shipment, last week, they had not received ammo but thats where we've been getting it from. ammoseek.com is also reallllly good for finding ammo online. It updates with new ammo constantly but they go real fast so you better have your payment ready lol

RBR

Six Pointer
Gunbroker did have a good supply you just had to pay the price. We‘ll be playing the same game with gas soon. I’ve got my bulk tanks full.

EMB

Ten Pointer
My buddies used to always ask Why I bought 2 boxes of rifle cartridges for all of my hunting rifles every year, whether I fired a shot or not. Guess who is sitting on plenty of ammo that was purchased relatively inexpensively! I did the same with all my firearms, including my hand guns. You don't wait for civil disobedience, riots or worse, and expect to find ammo or for that matter firearms at decent prices.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
My buddies used to always ask Why I bought 2 boxes of rifle cartridges for all of my hunting rifles every year, whether I fired a shot or not. Guess who is sitting on plenty of ammo that was purchased relatively inexpensively! I did the same with all my firearms, including my hand guns. You don't wait for civil disobedience, riots or worse, and expect to find ammo or for that matter firearms at decent prices.

Yep. Buy it when it's there. Especially good to shop at country stores when out and about.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
ended up stopping at the local sportsmans warehouse on my way home from a job. picked up two boxes of 30-06 and two boxes of 45-70. and they were both what i paid last year for them. lady checking me out said the big stores have their prices set by manufacture. i dont know if thats true, but i walked in and the line to get ammo was no one and when i left there was a line of 25 people. i apparently walked in right as they unloaded the shipment and posting it on their facebook page.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's unreal. I've stopped by a couple shops, and from what I can tell, it's still getting worse.

The interesting thing to me is that each ammo "crisis" is bigger and longer than the last, and they are different each time. The first shortage was just a run on the self defense rounds. The second one included .22LR, which I guess is the toilet paper of the ammo world, and also began to significantly affect hunting calibers. This one has depleted every single cartridge (sans 28 Ga.) in every single store.

I don't believe we will see all calibers back until 2022, and normal pricing might be another year. But who really knows at this point, it's self-perpetuating. There's going to be some folks hurting for ammo in the next year. I really think hunters ought to do some trading and help each other out.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I was actually surprised at how much ammo they did have in stock but again its because they raised the price. The big box stores have all been pretty much cleared out. I personally havent seen the big box stores raise their prices on ammo which is probably why they were cleared out first.
^ A good illustration of how "price gouging" slows hoarding, helps keep things in stock, and lets folks determine just how badly they 'need' the product.

My wife now "gets it" ... she used to question me when I bought "an extra one of these and one or two of those" whenever we went shopping.

Last edited: