Aluminum Pirogues? Anyone used one?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone ever own or use an Aluminum Pirogues
Wonder how they would stack up or work vs a 12' to 14' jon boat or other swamp boats.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Had a friend that had a small one we used in a swamp in lower Sc/Ga if you weren't extremely nimble and adept at handling it it was an azz wetter. I was considerably younger and we used it for duck hunting and setting decoys when the water was too high for wading. I am waaay too old for one that was constructed like that.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I played with one down in LA on a fishing trip a couple of years ago. I cant say it was less stable than the heavier wood or fiberglass ones, but it was quicker and more responsive to slight shifts in weight. It was pretty tender compared to the old school piroges that were heavier

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I used to have one that had a modified canoe front instead of the traditional bow that was completely flat. It was a noisy, tipsy little thing that had no use being in the cypress swamp that I used it in to check bush hooks and trotlines and was soon replaced with a traditional pirogue except it had a transom that would take a 2.5 hp Johnson that loved eating shear pins like candy. Fun times in the swamps of the Ochlockonee River in N. Florida.