Almost Party Time

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Picking up The Boy tonight in Johnson City. He thinks he’s not coming till Friday night. Tomorrow we will get up early and hit the game lands with his “new to him” single shot 20ga ....thanks @Bluedogman ! Try to get him some doves to shoot at. Poke around for some squirrels. Maybe jump up a grouse. Regardless, just be fun to scour the game lands with him. Hope to set a few beaver traps on some private land if we don’t get hit with heavy rain. If it’s pouring it’ll be a good day to take him shopping for new hunting gear. Got ahold of some boys who wanna run the coon dogs with him. Friday we will close out bear season together and see if we can’t get one for him. Saturday we will hit the game lands again or see what other trouble we can get into. He might ask to go fishing. Gonna be a great way to end 2020 and start 2021. I’ll send pics and updates throughout the week!

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
Picking up The Boy tonight in Johnson City. He thinks he’s not coming till Friday night. Tomorrow we will get up early and hit the game lands with his “new to him” single shot 20ga ....thanks @Bluedogman ! Try to get him some doves to shoot at. Poke around for some squirrels. Maybe jump up a grouse. Regardless, just be fun to scour the game lands with him. Hope to set a few beaver traps on some private land if we don’t get hit with heavy rain. If it’s pouring it’ll be a good day to take him shopping for new hunting gear. Got ahold of some boys who wanna run the coon dogs with him. Friday we will close out bear season together and see if we can’t get one for him. Saturday we will hit the game lands again or see what other trouble we can get into. He might ask to go fishing. Gonna be a great way to end 2020 and start 2021. I’ll send pics and updates throughout the week!
We will be waiting on the stories and pics.
You’re a good man for doing what you do for the kid. Keep it up brother

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Well we hunted sunrise yesterday till 11pm. Started off dove hunting and Caleb was 0/1 on our only shot opportunity. He said he was just happy to shoot his new 20 gauge. Decided to go to a different area to small game hunt. Place was loaded with people, bow hunters , bird dogs, rabbit dogs, and squirrel dogs. I started to go into my greedy self dialogue of “I know this is public land but....” , although I kept it to myself. Caleb told me “this is great seeing all these other people hunting out here. Nice to know other people love it as much as we do.” I quickly adjusted my negative thinking. Never did get on the squirrels but I jumped a rabbit. He wasn’t able to get a shot but he had fun trying to find it in the brush. Curiosity got the best of us. “Wonder what’s over that ridge line.” Ended up in a laurel thicket going straight down to the creek . Got there just to realize it was so steep there was no creek bank to walk on so we had to go all the way back up. Caleb told me it was good practice for bear hunting. Finished the day at the dove field again. I shot like absolutely garbage lol. Shooting stuff outta trees might have ruined me . I kept aiming where the bird was, not where it was headed. Caleb did better than me with leading the birds, he was just shooting wayyyyy out in front of them. We coulda had a limit of birds but our marksmanship was mediocre at best. Ate some dinner and went and ran my buddy’s coon dog last night. That was a whole nother adventure involving a fox, barbed wire fences, creeks, and a very long walk back to the truck. Rolled in the front door at midnight and crashed.
E1E5BC80-CE3F-47EF-B433-FEABF85C0DA9.jpeg
the young man in contemplation

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
your a great DAD - HAPPY NEW YEAR
That gave me a good laugh but not in a rude way brother. He’s not my son. He was adopted by someone I know after a reallllllly rough life so I’ve taken him under my wing and showing him the awesome life outdoors. I laugh because yesterday I told him he did a good job and he said “Aw thanks dad” in a sarcastic teenager tone

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Forgot to ever make an update post. We spent a lot of time in the woods and had a blast. Did some hiking in a part of Pisgah I’ve never been in. Ran into some bear hunters that made me grateful for the crew we hunt with lol. Hunted with our crew for the last day of bear season. Free cast the dogs and never got on anything. Decided to call it a day at lunch time when the heavy rain came. Originally we were gonna try to squeeze in some trapping but the boy wanted to just be in the woods with his gun and go to places he hadn’t been to before. So we put that on the back burner. Ate a ton of food cooked on the pellet grill/smoker. Pissed away a full day going against my better judgment regarding someone else but that’s a story for another time. Saturday we went back to the dove fields. I took 2 half hearted pop shots. Then I spent the rest of the time watching my wife and the boy laugh and talk trash as they shot n missed. I wanted him to kill one pretty badly ...for him. But I could’ve cared less in regards to myself. It was nice to just be out there and see him enjoying it. As he said to me “I’ve always wanted to spend a buncha days in the woods and not have to worry about the stress of school...and politics.” Lol he’s a goon. Got him some new clothes for hunting and sent him on his way Sunday.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Forgot to add my mentor brought him over the house and gave him his only 1st place trophy from his days of running fox hounds. Mentor said he’d rather the boy have it since his wife took all the trophies and threw em in the barn while he wasn’t home 🤣 Clock on it still works. That boy acted like he had a priceless relic from the past. Then again, depending on a man’s perception, maybe he does
4A8ABCFB-9090-45BB-88A7-98F7AC6E97FD.jpegF6029251-E64A-4A5B-9F5B-9B7A6E3D1627.jpeg