Alliance of American Football

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Had never heard of it before...stumbled across it last night...first game night of its season.

Appears to be sort of a minor-league thing, maybe a cut above.
Some players were excess NFL draft candidates, NFL players between trades, etc.
Better than college level / decent football without the pompous "kneeling" mentality of many NFL players.

Didn't even watch the super-bowl because of all the recent couple years of NFL crap, but this seemed like a good option.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Your so cute, thinking those players have any different mentality than NFL players.. every one of them are NFL wantabe's I am not saying that is bad.. we are all wantabe's until we get there.. regardless of where there is

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'll watch Spurrier coach the Orlando team. Sorry I missed their opener. Would have watched.

As for them having a different mentality or not @Firedog .....Did they kneel? Did they sign Kaepershit? No on both? Thats good enough for me for now. I'll support them until they decide to piss me off. That's how this spectator sport thing works.

I will also be tuning in to see how the LFL (Legends Football League) does this year. Only a month and a half until kickoff.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'll watch Spurrier coach the Orlando team. Sorry I missed their opener. Would have watched.

As for them having a different mentality or not @Firedog .....Did they kneel? Did they sign Kaepershit? No on both? Thats good enough for me for now. I'll support them until they decide to piss me off. That's how this spectator sport thing works.

I will also be tuning in to see how the LFL (Legends Football League) does this year. Only a month and a half until kickoff.

Orlando / Spurrier kicked Atlanta, 40 to 6.....good game, without all the player attitude, politics, & constant background chatter about it by commentators...refreshing sort of real football again makes it even easier to be done with the NFL.

Last edited:

sll

Four Pointer
Saw it on last night too and had never heard anything about this league. I wonder if it will turn out like the XFL did several years ago.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Well its on in dead of winter not whole lot going on except Daytona and college/pro B-ball so I'm sure it'll get some viewers so least to start

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well its on in dead of winter not whole lot going on except Daytona and college/pro B-ball so I'm sure it'll get some viewers so least to start
Had a similar thought...February, March, April gets a lot of Golf coverage, and this should be a good alternative / option

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Saw it on last night too and had never heard anything about this league. I wonder if it will turn out like the XFL did several years ago.
Supposedly the XFL is coming back also.

I watched the game last night and liked it well enough. I plan on watching the Birmingham game today. Trent Richardson is on that team and I want to see how he does.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Had never heard of it before...stumbled across it last night...first game night of its season.

I had to google it. Seems like they at least acquired some name recognition. I was surprised they got as much NFL talent as they did and got CBS to cover it. There was some very recognizable names both on the field and the production/broadcast team.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had to google it. Seems like they at least acquired some name recognition. I was surprised they got as much NFL talent as they did and got CBS to cover it. There was some very recognizable names both on the field and the production/broadcast team.
Yes, same here.....and got that same impression, that it was a cut above some routine local minor league thing..
Since I dropped cable several years go, I was glad to see that it's CBSSports channel is being broadcast over-the-air by the Raleigh area CBS / WNCN / Ch17 yesterday.....unfortunately, the channel guide is showing basketball instead of more AAF games today.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Game is on tonight at 8pm on NFL network. 2 players from ECU will be playing

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, same here.....and got that same impression, that it was a cut above some routine local minor league thing..
Since I dropped cable several years go, I was glad to see that it's CBSSports channel is being broadcast over-the-air by the Raleigh area CBS / WNCN / Ch17 yesterday.....unfortunately, the channel guide is showing basketball instead of more AAF games today.
Was gonna try it today but I don't get CBS sports or NFL network so maybe another day

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Was gonna try it today but I don't get CBS sports or NFL network so maybe another day
I'd never seen CBSSports from my over-the-air antenna...hope its a new add that hangs around and not just some initial introductory start-up thing that disappears

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

ECU_Pirate

Banned
I think I read somewhere that 80% of the players were under NFL contract at one point. So there probably were some kneelers out there.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd never seen CBSSports from my over-the-air antenna...hope its a new add that hangs around and not just some initial introductory start-up thing that disappears
Bummer...just heard back from WNCN / CH17 Raleigh about continued broadcasts of AAF games from their 'over-the-air' antenna:

"...Currently, that is the only Alliance Football game that we have on our schedule for this season..."

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
LOL...IMHO, unless and until the best athletes are competing, it wont last. Its JV vs Varsity. If this league makes it longer than 5 years I will shart my pants.

People like a new shiny object until they realize the shiny object isnt that much, if any, different than the shiny object they already have.

if NFL loses any market share long term, I would think it would be that a greater percentage of football fans will look to college instead of the NFL for their fix.....I know its already like that in parts of the south and midwest, but its not for a majority of the country.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Hey Tip you see this. That was my point.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
C.kapernick only wanted $20 million to play in the AAF....lol
I don't think this league will last to long, but I wish them the best.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
C.kapernick only wanted $20 million to play in the AAF....lol
I don't think this league will last to long, but I wish them the best.

From my understanding each player makes 250k with a 3 year contract. Regardless of the position.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Hey Tip you see this. That was my point.

Yep. I saw that this morning. I think they knew he wasn't going to be reasonable before the contracted him. Regardless, he's not playing and they aren't kneeling so I'm willing to watch.

roughrider

Six Pointer
This AAF supposedly has a contract with the NFL, so idk if it will go away as quickly as some believe. It is sort of like a G-League with the NBA or the Championship Level of English football.

NFL helped rush it out to get a foothold before the XFL has a chance of doing anything next year.

I'll tune in when its on for something to watch sure, but not if college basketball ball is on. And the NFL will always be king in the fall

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
Kaepadick what a commie lol. I really like most people and can get along with most anyone but I really wish he would go on to cuba or somewhere.

MtnMan

Ten Pointer

LFL.....I'm up for that.