All things pertainng to Hyde county.

DuckyDave

Four Pointer
I have been in touch with Cole past 2 days. His petition has 1979 signatures as of 1:22pm today.

If you haven't signed the petition yet, please do so now! It takes only 2 or 3 minutes. You can also read Comments from folks who have signed this far.

And if you can possibly attend tomorrow's meeting 7pm Swan Quarter please do so.

bigdrumnc

Spike
That document was dated in May not July??? Any way be ready something is gonna happen! But I personally feel Hyde county has no clue cost wise what it’s in for. They are going to need at least one paid position, to handle administrative duties, mailing overhead, web administrative duties, more responsibilities imposed on local GIS staffers etc. we have no one to blame but ourselves!

Inshore duck

Six Pointer
Apparently hunters don’t spend money in Hyde. So I guess Martelles is just full of residents of Engelhard on Saturday morning during the fall/winter. 125 out of county permits, going to be slim odds. Looks like they are still trying to figure out what determines a “resident”. A lot of folks will be upset if simply owning property in Hyde does not constitute residency.

I was at the meeting last night. I have to say that things are looking promising, however, nothing is written in stone and two of the members of the board were not present last night. Two members that could show up and throw a monkey wrench into the works. Also bear in mind, Commissioners Pugh and SImmons are not going to be happy, they want a SHL.

The general direction of the committee is as follows:

1) That there should be a 300 yard separation of hunters on a first come, first served basis. (I wholeheartedly agree)

2)Landowners should get first crack at hunting their blinds, as long as they are in the blind hunting by 1 hour before LST. Only occupied blinds qualify. (I think this is a reasonable compromise)

3)There should be a float blind license required. There will be unlimited number issued. The proposed fee is $200. There were to be some requirements for compliance, such as a white light, visible for 360 degrees so hunter locations could be easily ascertained.

The reasoning was that by requiring a float blind license(bear in mind, everyone who applies, gets one) will generate revenue for Hyde County. Hyde County is the poorest county in the state and could use this revenue. Also, it would have all the requirements to hunt Hyde County on the permit(mainly the 300 yard separation). It would leave a mechanism for enforcement of the 300 yard separation by having a fine for violators, revocation of the permit for repeat offenders. This is not a bad thing.

Overall, I think most of the committee members see the reaction of the public and realize the negative effects for their county if a restrictive system were put in place.

We cannot divert our attention. This is not done yet, the Commissioners are not going to be happy.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
wonder when counties will start looking in these type laws for ALL hunting,,,,you know, for safety

1 - minimum distance between hunters
2 - permits for deer stands, even on public land

etc

I agree, I am not thrilled at the prospect of a permit system, but a system of unlimited permits is at least fair and not restrictive. Considering how it could have gone, I call this a victory for us.

Considering Simmons and Pugh want a SHL, we can call this a win.

That document was dated in May not July??? Any way be ready something is gonna happen! But I personally feel Hyde county has no clue cost wise what it’s in for. They are going to need at least one paid position, to handle administrative duties, mailing overhead, web administrative duties, more responsibilities imposed on local GIS staffers etc. we have no one to blame but ourselves!
That was the latest minutes they had posted on the county website, and those just went up in the last couple of days.

Apparently hunters don’t spend money in Hyde. So I guess Martelles is just full of residents of Engelhard on Saturday morning during the fall/winter. 125 out of county permits, going to be slim odds. Looks like they are still trying to figure out what determines a “resident”. A lot of folks will be upset if simply owning property in Hyde does not constitute residency.
Last time I checked my camper I keep at big trout year round isn’t free, my meals at Martelles isn’t free, my groceries that I get at red and white isn’t free, the buttload of shrimp I buy isn’t free, my gas from ethco isn’t free. I could go in and on and on.

Inshore duck

Six Pointer
Last time I checked my camper I keep at big trout year round isn’t free, my meals at Martelles isn’t free, my groceries that I get at red and white isn’t free, the buttload of shrimp I buy isn’t free, my gas from ethco isn’t free. I could go in and on and on.
I agree. The minutes didn’t quote any research or data. Just a statement, that “outside folks don’t spend money here”. Just trying to further their agenda.

I think in the last couple of meetings the committee reversed it's opinions on people not spending money in Hyde. My guess(and it is only a guess), they heard otherwise from Hyde County businesses that would be losing income. Duck season gives business a much needed boost.

DuckyDave

Four Pointer
The next Committee meeting is August 14 at 7pm. Based on what I felt in the room last night it seems like the Committee Members are willing to listen to our input. (The County Commissioners--not so sure...). After the meeting we stood around and had some friendly positive off-the-record discussions with Committee Members. So if you can possibly attend on 8/14 please do., especially because we don't know how the 2 Committee Members missing last night will react at 8/14 meeting. BTW it seems the Meeting Minutes are posted on the Committee's website only after the Minutes are approved at the next meeting--therefore a time lag exists.

Fatkid

Button Buck
They will all start looking at them for.....revenue. 1000 permits would yield Hyde county 200,000 dollars in outside revenue. Just another tax.
If they start charging for hunting public waters it has to make the hunting better, right? Maybe they can use some of the funds to pen raise some buffleheads scoters and mergansers to release and keep the commandos coming back and bringing more friends.

Inshore duck

Six Pointer
Unfortunately the bird numbers will not increase, only the price to play. The 2 wardens for Hyde will not be sufficient to enforce and check permits. Is the county going to hire it’s own “homeland security” force to enforce the permits and distance requirements?

There will likely be no enforcement force. The GWs would just enforce law as they always have. I would imagine that it would only take a few patrols of the bay to check distances to insure compliance.

In a way I kinda agree with the folks there....its just to much for too little. All you gotta do is ride by rose bay and look at all the trailers backed in and you know where they're from. Then you ride out and you cant find a spot to set up in your own backyard smh.....its gotta suck.

Reactions: Gus
On the other hand....who gives two turds between 4 flat rocks about the guides. If they wanna make a living they can get real jobs and pay taxes. When they do that....then maybe they can complain. And the rich yankee's that wanna claim shore line above the hide tide mark.....carry you ass back where you come from.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Before we get complacent about the committee recommendations it is what happens after the meetings that should cause concern. The lobbying by some committee members began immediately the next day for a limit of 125 float permits for non Hyde residents.

I think the vote will be at the next meeting. One of the absent members, Randy Hignite, is the biggest proponent of the restriction on non Hyde resident float blinds.

I agree. The next meeting will be critical. There were only 3 people there to observe the meeting this month. Several of the committee members expressed concern about what would happen when the two missing members showed up.

We have to be there and hit back against any attempt to rig the system. The proposals that were made at the meeting were acceptable, but they won't be to Commissioners Simmons and Pugh. Several of the committee members told me that we need to be at the next meeting because the two missing members were going to flip out when they found out the direction the committee took.

August the 14th. We could all make that. You could make that. If you don't and this goes bad, it is on you as much as it is on the commission and the committee.