Alcoa (Newsome Rd)

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I'm confused looking at OnX as it doesn't show the Alcoa gamland the same as the others. I know there was a thread not long ago about it but can't find it. Can you still hunt the Alcoa land off Newsome Rd or has that gone away? Don't want to waste time driving there for nothing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

wl704

Ten Pointer
I'm confused looking at OnX as it doesn't show the Alcoa gamland the same as the others. I know there was a thread not long ago about it but can't find it. Can you still hunt the Alcoa land off Newsome Rd or has that gone away? Don't want to waste time driving there for nothing.

Still shows on NC wildlife. On OnX, I don't believe it shows as public, but you can check the parcel and landowner to make sure you don't stray.

I also use the kmz files ( https://www.ncwildlife.org/Hunting/Where-To-Hunt-Shoot/Public-Places) with Google earth on my phone as a backup.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
Still shows on NC wildlife. On OnX, I don't believe it shows as public, but you can check the parcel and landowner to make sure you don't stray.

I also use the kmz files ( https://www.ncwildlife.org/Hunting/Where-To-Hunt-Shoot/Public-Places) with Google earth on my phone as a backup.
It shows normal on those. Just got OnX yesterday and was messing around trying to learn how to use it. Those files on Google Earth are great as well

genbud78

Ten Pointer
Alcoa sold all of their holdings, different landowner now. But most places still same rules apply AT THIS time.
That's what I was thinking but wanted to get some clarification. Got a buddy that wants to hunt some public land so we're planning a scouting trip. I've actually seen deer off Newsome so thought about going down and looking around.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's what I was thinking but wanted to get some clarification. Got a buddy that wants to hunt some public land so we're planning a scouting trip. I've actually seen deer off Newsome so thought about going down and looking around.

It used to be hunted extremely heavy. I have no clue now. I used to like to go down there early in the coon season and hunt. Certain ethnic groups moved in several years ago and small game, well all game in that area took a beating. Those guys are like a rake, when they go through the woods there isn't a whole lot left. But if they were around they would gladly take any excess game you had if you wanted to give it to them.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
It used to be hunted extremely heavy. I have no clue now. I used to like to go down there early in the coon season and hunt. Certain ethnic groups moved in several years ago and small game, well all game in that area took a beating. Those guys are like a rake, when they go through the woods there isn't a whole lot left. But if they were around they would gladly take any excess game you had if you wanted to give it to them.
I hunted down there a good bit a few years ago and had folks walk all over me several times while they were squirrel hunting.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Not sure that ALCOA sold all their holdings, yet. According to the Davidson County tax records ALCOA still owns the Newsome tracts, but CUBE owns the property around High Rock dam. Might have something to do with the relicensing agreement which gave some conservation groups a chance to buy part of the property. Some of the ALCOA property further north was already purchased and transferred to state ownership.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not sure that ALCOA sold all their holdings, yet. According to the Davidson County tax records ALCOA still owns the Newsome tracts, but CUBE owns the property around High Rock dam. Might have something to do with the relicensing agreement which gave some conservation groups a chance to buy part of the property. Some of the ALCOA property further north was already purchased and transferred to state ownership.
According to Davidson County tax records my property is still owned my my mother who has been dead for years. I bought it 21 years ago and it has been paid off 11 years and the deed is in my safe and in my wife's and my name. So I don't put a whole lot of stock in their record keeping. I wouldn't have known it but I was updating some GPS for some friends and they were setting here and one pulled up this place and asked me about who showed up as the landowner. I called the tax office the next day and questioned them about it. Their reply was so you have the deed with your name on it? Yep, you get your tax bill correctly every year, yep, why worry about it? So I haven't.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
According to Davidson County tax records my property is still owned my my mother who has been dead for years. I bought it 21 years ago and it has been paid off 11 years and the deed is in my safe and in my wife's and my name. So I don't put a whole lot of stock in their record keeping. I wouldn't have known it but I was updating some GPS for some friends and they were setting here and one pulled up this place and asked me about who showed up as the landowner. I called the tax office the next day and questioned them about it. Their reply was so you have the deed with your name on it? Yep, you get your tax bill correctly every year, yep, why worry about it? So I haven't.

A bit more info than just the tax records. Retained tracts which were offered for conservation purchase as part of the FERC license. So if you click on the "view tax bill" for your property is the tax bill name and address still in your mom's name?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A bit more info than just the tax records. Retained tracts which were offered for conservation purchase as part of the FERC license. So if you click on the "view tax bill" for your property is the tax bill name and address still in your mom's name?
No, tax bill is my wife and my name. But when you pull it up under any of the various hunt map (GPS) programs which wasn’t even out when my mother still owned it or alive for that matter, she is still shown as the landowner.