Albemarle bow hunters want minimum acreage requirement changed

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Albemarle resident and outdoorsman Mitchell Cook appeared before council to request a change in the city’s ordinance governing the Urban Archery Deer Season, and expressed concerns that the minimum area of consent for hunting (5 acres) is too large, and requested the area be reduced.

Mayor pro-tem Martha Sue Hall noted Cook’s request coincided with concerns expressed at a public hearing conducted by the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission (NCWRC) on Jan. 11.

“There was much sentiment for change because of the high acreage requirements,” said Hall, who recommended local NCWRC authorities be consulted before any action was taken.

http://www.thesnaponline.com/news/c...cle_ca21999e-fd68-11e7-b526-d3eec5e6f5fc.html

Sp8

Ten Pointer
I don't think the 5 acre rule is a bad thing it was put into place after considering deer being shot and running off the property.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I would agree that the 5 acre rule is a little limiting. I get what Sp8 is saying, but it also remove a huge majority of properties from consideration, lessening the potential benefits of UA. UA isnt just about hunter opportunities, its about helping limit deer damage in 'urban' ( funny to think of Ablemarle as urban) areas. I would be in favor of this and will be reaching out to the NCWRC to show my support.

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Maybe you could present the idea of handling UA locations similar to how Concord regulates UA hunting areas. "UA hunting areas must be parcels of 2 acres or greater and a must have a 250 ft wide buffer around structures."

http://www.concordnc.gov/Portals/0/Documents/Police/Urban%20Archery%20Map.pdf?ver=2011-01-04-114411-847

This is the link for the City of Concord Urban Archery Map, it is slightly outdated (2007) but could be used as an example to state your case.

Thanks and agree. Alot of other towns have lesser parcel restrictions and dont seem to have alot of issues so I am not sure why it wouldnt work in Ablemarle. I would suspect the locals there are more accepting of hunters than some of the towns that currently allow it and have not had any complaints ( harrisburg, huntersville, pineville etc)

Sp8

Ten Pointer
I would agree that the 5 acre rule is a little limiting. I get what Sp8 is saying, but it also remove a huge majority of properties from consideration, lessening the potential benefits of UA. UA isnt just about hunter opportunities, its about helping limit deer damage in 'urban' ( funny to think of Ablemarle as urban) areas. I would be in favor of this and will be reaching out to the NCWRC to show my support.

I am not opposed to the lessening of the restriction but I don't want one bad apple to spoil the bunch and the UA get voted out because somebody shoots bambi's mom and she runs in someones yard that is not as hunter friendly as most.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I am not opposed to the lessening of the restriction but I don't want one bad apple to spoil the bunch and the UA get voted out because somebody shoots bambi's mom and she runs in someones yard that is not as hunter friendly as most.

It’s a fine line for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I quit urban hunting because I couldn't recover mortally wounded deer because they ran onto other property (Chapel Hill). I had much more than 5 acres.