Alabama bound

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Heading out Thursday Morning (April 1) to fish with my buddy. Taking the youngest, 13, to fish Jordan and Guntersville. We might hit something Sunday morning, plans haven't been made yet. Bass fishing is not my thing but the kid thinks it's awesome. Looking to have a good time no matter what.

Maybe, just Maybe, little man will catch a bigun.

venom17

Six Pointer
G'Ville this time of year, heavy line and stout rod on the grass. or ledges and drop offs. BIL fishes there religiously for his club that he runs. I have seen 100 fish days from there averaging 4-6lbs.

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Be prepared that when you get to Guntersville to get to the ramp very early, like before daylight, if you want to have somewhere to park. Doesn't matter which ramp or what day of the week, they are all the same. Not joking either. It's different than anything you can imagine until you've experienced.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Be prepared that when you get to Guntersville to get to the ramp very early, like before daylight, if you want to have somewhere to park. Doesn't matter which ramp or what day of the week, they are all the same. Not joking either. It's different than anything you can imagine until you've experienced.

Sounds like every public lake in North Carolina since last March.

venom17

Six Pointer
As mbh said, if you don't get there early, you WILL NOT find a park for miles. Truth! PPl will drop their boat and drive to other places to park the trailer. Some places have even set up shuttle service just for that. I have seen 3-4hr wait just to drop in on a week day. This time of yr is the holy grail for that lake. Not unusual to have 5-10 tourney's trying to launch at the same time at the same ramps. I haven't fished there since the early 90's but have family members that fish it almost everyday of the year.

Ceehawk37

Ten Pointer
I’ve fished Guntersville a few times and if I were coming from out of state for a few days, I’d try to rent a house on the lake with a dock. Put in where you can and drive the boat to said dock. Eliminates the hassle of the overcrowded public ramps.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Not even close. I know it sounds far fetched, but like I said, you have to experience it to believe it.

It’s not far fetched to me.....been there and done that. It’s like chickamauga......which in turn is just like falls, Jordan, tuckertown here on any given weekday this time of the year. A full lake, just not as much of it to fish as gville. Gville used to be incredible, but like everything else the pressure ruins it along with when they killed the grass. There are much better places in alabama to fish especially on that chain. There are also a bunch of boat ramps to chose from with it being so big. Haven’t been there in a long time and haven’t spent a ton of time there but I went during this time of year and it didn’t seem any different from anywhere else popular that I’ve been during the spring.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Heading out Thursday Morning (April 1) to fish with my buddy. Taking the youngest, 13, to fish Jordan and Guntersville. We might hit something Sunday morning, plans haven't been made yet. Bass fishing is not my thing but the kid thinks it's awesome. Looking to have a good time no matter what.

Maybe, just Maybe, little man will catch a bigun.
Did they bite? We need "the kid' to stay interested.
I hope you had a fine time.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did they bite? We need "the kid' to stay interested.
I hope you had a fine time.
They were frozen. 34 degrees with a Stiff wind Friday at Jordan. I caught one fish.

Saturday at Guntersville, there was frost on everything at 32 degrees. But my boy caught his best fish at 4 pounds. I caught a dink and my buddy put 5 in the boat.

We didn't catch much, but it was an awesome trip.

0403210901a.jpg

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Take little man to Jordan or Falls this month and he should fair pretty well as far as catching a bigger than average bass. They should be starting to come towards the bank.
Little man is going to be bass fishing off the back while I bream fish off the front around the New Bern area. It's time for me to catch some fish.

I've got to get on the front of my boat and catch some fish before I get the itch for one of those fancy Skeeters.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Guntersville is OLD money; try Smith Lake about an hour south on your next trip.

My buddy stays in Tallassee, 30 minutes east of Montgomery, It was over 3 hours to Guntersville. We ate at a place on Martin Thursday night, but he says he has no desire to fish Martin, even though it's 20 minutes from his house.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
Little man is going to be bass fishing off the back while I bream fish off the front around the New Bern area. It's time for me to catch some fish.

I've got to get on the front of my boat and catch some fish before I get the itch for one of those fancy Skeeters.
Yeah I’m looking hard at a skeeter zx200 myself lol.