Air rifles

dirtburn

Four Pointer
I was just curious as how many of you use air rifles to hunt squirrels. I bought myself one and a couple other family members one but they won't get there's until Christmas in hopes of sparking some interest. My other question is if you do use them can you recommend a good scope, I have read that the ones that come on them are normally short lived.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I have a leapers bugbuster on my rws. It's been on there about 2 years and 6 or 8 tins of pellets with zero issues. If your guns are springers, I would be dang sure to get a scope designed for the way springers recoil.

dirtburn

Four Pointer
Not sure if they have springs or not, can't find anything stating so. I have read warnings of the havoc the recoil plays on unfit scopes.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
BSA are some cheap butted scopes,,,but I will say, their customer service was first rate

I had a BSA air rifle scope on a RWS 34,,,,used it for practice during the week when I was stationed at MacDill (lived in South Tampa so had to shoot in the garage during the week to practice for the matches I shot back then),,,,

the reticle came lose,,,,floated counter-clockwise - they replaced it super fast

Fwawa20

Button Buck
For a spring or gas ram air rifle the Leapers Utg line of scopes will fit the bill. Also remember adjustable parallax is also preferred on air rifles. I have hunted seriously with my air rifles 10yrs now. I have moved onto pcp rifles as I progressed in airguning. It’s a good time to get in the game bc pcp’s are getting cheaper. There are some great entry level rifles for around $300 that would be all you’d ever need for squirrel. You can buy a hand pump for $50 to fill. That was unheard of 5 yrs ago as you expect to pay at least $700-1000 or more on a rifle and a way to fill. Also believe or not most of these entry level pcp’will will outshoot almost every .22 lr to 50/60yds with quality pellets. Stay away from box store offering’s such as crosman/Gamo pellets and buy some quality Jsb or H&N pellets. The box store pellets throw random fliers like cheap .22 lr ammo.

Reactions: Lee

Fwawa20

Button Buck
Here’s my setup now. ATI nova Liberty in .22. It has a 300 bar fill and is magazine fed with a side lever cocking system. Has a shrouded barrel and is super quiet yet really powerful. Gets a good 80 shots per fill. Does one hole groups at 50 yds. Measured they are under 3/8 of an inch. Haven’t shot out to 100 yet but I’m sure if the winds not blowing hard then it won’t be a problem to get under a inch.

Attachments

• 6F7FA346-D921-43E2-99FA-2E6537F1CEF8.jpeg
    6F7FA346-D921-43E2-99FA-2E6537F1CEF8.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 42

dirtburn

Four Pointer
Thank you. I am leaning towards the UTG line of scopes. I appreciate all the input, if they show some interest in the guns I can always upgrade scopes and even their guns.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've been pleased with my Walther 4x32 scope on my gamo. It holds a zero and has a generous relief. My 5 and 7 year old have a little trouble sometimes with the relief on some of the other guns. We beat the crap out of it and have not had to adjust it after the initial site in.

Lee

Six Pointer
I have several UTG Bug Busters and can recommend them. They are worth what they cost.

Lee

Six Pointer
The scope mounts are important on springers and rams. The models with the stops will save you lots of aggravating shifts

Fwawa20

Button Buck
Yup you may want to opt for a one piece mount. That’s what I use on my underlever spring piston guns. It’ll increase the weight but the scope will stay put until you decide to remove it.1DBC1D1D-D130-4776-87AB-40F88D11F8BA.jpeg

dirtburn

Four Pointer
From what I've read a one piece mount is a must. Thanks for the info. The mount that came with mine is a one piece with the dowel on the bottom to hold it in place, not sure of the others yet haven't open them.