Age and weight

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I know he ain’t gonna score much but how old do you think he is? How much do you think he weighs on the hoof?

Attachments

• 8E32A47A-E06A-4428-BA4B-1FEF2B3618FA.jpeg
    8E32A47A-E06A-4428-BA4B-1FEF2B3618FA.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 186
  • B37262E7-02A2-4B83-BC41-11E80AFB990D.jpeg
    B37262E7-02A2-4B83-BC41-11E80AFB990D.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 188

Ceehawk37

Ten Pointer
He’s been eating well and looks kind of stumpy. I’d guess 4.5-5.5 somewhere in that range. Weight wise is a little harder to tell. I know he’d be getting a ride on the deer cart if he popped out in front of me.

Blades

Six Pointer
It’s always hard for me to tell on night time pics but I’ll take a stab anyways.

In the 4-5 range and have no clue about the weight. Looks like that deer has been doing a lot of squats.:unsure:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'm no great guesser for sure but I don't think he would go over 180 a 200 plus pounder is tough to get and stick out quite bit. As far as age 3.5

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
We have had numerous threads in the past about this, but I believe people over estimate on weights.
I know I was shocked when I started weighing them to find out most weren't nowhere as heavy as I thought.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
We have had numerous threads in the past about this, but I believe people over estimate on weights.
I know I was shocked when I started weighing them to find out most weren't nowhere as heavy as I thought.

Me to same with turkeys. I killed solid heavy 8 point 3 year ago I woulda sworn he was heavier but came in at little under 170 looked stalky like tank and bout broke us down getting him up the mtn out of creek bed to logging rd

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Not saying he isn't over that, just saying to me he looks about 160-170lbs.
He could very well be over that.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Agree with MJ yes his hams look huge, but his front shoulders are no where near the same size and that will rob him of weight and also indicates a younger deer than 4 or 5.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Heck the doe I killed last Sunday weighed 100 lbs on the hoof. The buck in my first picture is way over 160 lbs.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Ive killed enough does to sink a ship and I have only seen a few over 100lbs....not doubting you just saying they run smaller where I am.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe, or y’all shoot em while they’re still young.
Nah, we dont normally shoot young bucks.
Ive killed a real heavy one once and seen 3 a lil over 200lbs killed on the place I hunt. Maybe our scale wasn't very accurate.
Not trying to argue with you just giving you my opinion on the one in your pic.

Kill him and weigh him and then will we know for sure [emoji106]

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Kill him and weigh him and then will we know for sure
emoji106.png
I'm a gonna try!

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ive killed enough does to sink a ship and I have only seen a few over 100lbs....not doubting you just saying they run smaller where I am.

What do you reckon this one weighed?

I’ve killed one buck that went 200#. I’ll try to find a photo

*edit

Last edited:

nontypical

Ten Pointer
DB, you've killed as many deer with the bow as I have with all weapons combined. What do you think about buck in first pic?

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
I know he ain’t gonna score much but how old do you think he is? How much do you think he weighs on the hoof?

He's an old boy...I'd guess 5.5. We killed a 197 this year and yours looks heavier. They will lose weight quickly, every day now.

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No big chest....no sway in the back......3.5 at best......need scales for weight......we never weigh them so I really can’t tell you a guess on weight