Advice please (update)

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I'm putting this here so hopefully more will see it. Last night some critter ate one of my cantaloupes. Picked it up and moved it between two tomato plants and ate it all but the rind and seeds. I didn't see any deer tracks and considering where it was eaten I think it was something smaller than a deer or bear. I know there are people on here that have more experience growing cantaloupes than I do so what have you had problems with? Groundhogs, haven't seen one in over a year, raccoons, no shortage of them, coyote, a few but not that many, it was something that had either paws or mouth that could pick it up whole and carry it five or six yards. Appreciate any suggestions.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Trail cam revealed the thief to be a huge possum with a smaller buddy. Tried several things including motion lights. Nothing stopped them until I lined the outside edges with moth balls. I have pictures of them coming to the edge every night but so far they have not crossed over the moth balls. I also threw some close to every cantaloupe. Not saying it’s a sure thing preventive, but it’s working so far.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Have pictures somewhere of yodels eating apples and butternut squash.

Not a prepared meal, mind you, although its good cooked that way.

But I had a few BN's planted near our apple tree and set a game camera out to find out what was doing the deed. Thought it was deer. I was wrong.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Trail cam revealed the thief to be a huge possum with a smaller buddy. Tried several things including motion lights. Nothing stopped them until I lined the outside edges with moth balls. I have pictures of them coming to the edge every night but so far they have not crossed over the moth balls. I also threw some close to every cantaloupe. Not saying it’s a sure thing preventive, but it’s working so far.
Grinners are the dumpster of the animal kingdom.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dog proof trap with mini marshmallows and cat food ….
That is the bait I use IF I want to avoid possums and skunks. Works great for raccoon and will still catch the occasional possum. If I wanted to target possums, I would use half rotten meat of most any variety. They are attracted to the stinky stuff more so than the sweet bait.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
That is the bait I use IF I want to avoid possums and skunks. Works great for raccoon and will still catch the occasional possum. If I wanted to target possums, I would use half rotten meat of most any variety. They are attracted to the stinky stuff more so than the sweet bait.
Dead fish will bring in every possum in town

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Possum belly in the near future? Never had possum but would try it. I think the only way I've heard people say they had it was baked with sweet potatoes.

This would be a great opportunity and excuse for a night vision scope and a .17 HMR

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Mom's dad said he knew a couple of guys that caught them, put them in a raised pen and "cleaned them out" with fruit, etc. for several weeks before dispatching them. I would prefer the one I would sample to be cleaned out. Lol. Supposed to be a little be a little greasy.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Mom's dad said he knew a couple of guys that caught them, put them in a raised pen and "cleaned them out" with fruit, etc. for several weeks before dispatching them. I would prefer the one I would sample to be cleaned out. Lol. Supposed to be a little be a little greasy.
I had a great uncle that did that exact same thing, he ate several a year.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We did the same at our house when I was a youngster. My Dad liked them and Moma would fix them, baked with sweet potatoes floating in grease.

There were still a few oldtimers in the community that would hunt them along with raccoons at night back then.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
My grandfather I mentioned earlier was an avid quail hunter(birds were plentiful back then). On one hunt he came across a dead mule. Said 3 possums came out of it's belly. Dang!!

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I lost 4 the other night but I’m thinking one of my pigs jumped into garden and under the hot line.