Advice on run time for a spin feeder

emscott

Six Pointer
Greetings all,

First time trying to use an automated deer feeder. Bought a Moultrie pro hunter spin feeder kit and am going to rig it to the bottom of a 55 gallon drum. Was wondering what kind of timing I should use for the feeder meaning how many seconds or pounds of corn per day? Also I was wondering if y’all had any thoughts on what time of day. I was thinking an hour after sunrise and an hour before sunset.

Bears will rip up a feeder on the ground so I will be suspending it in the air on a cable between two trees. Also mounting a boat winch to a treated 2 x 6 and then to a tree to hoist it up. Any advice y’all have would be great thanks.

Scott

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
index.php

Attachments

• 1528073319375.jpg
    1528073319375.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 236

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
I generally only run mine for afternoon hunts but I generally decide that based on trail cam information. Amount I drop is usually based on how often or how difficult it is to fill. I for one like to drop enough to attract and create competition. Put down to much and they will come after dark with no sense of urgency . If I do set it mornings I set it to go when I expect to be arriving at my stand cause it will usually chase them away before I get there if they are underneath it already.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
This is based off my time in Texas as I haven't ran a feeder up here. But, generally I'd do 2-3 seconds in the morning and evening during the off Spring and Summer. During Fall and Winter, I'd do 4-5 seconds as a general practice. If I found corn pilling up, I'd scale it back, or if I find not a hint of it I may increase it. Never went over 5 seconds as that was about 10 seconds per day, which is a lot of corn. I also had a lot of coons, crows, hogs, and squirrels on it. But, deer did eat it.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've always set mine for 15-20 seconds at noon. Plenty of food on the ground for enticement, little potential for scaring off game, and saves a considerable amount of corn.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I only have one running at the house year round to watch deer.

in the summer when everything's green I only run it for 2 seconds about an hour before dark.
The deer don't hit it (or need it) nearly as hard as in the winter, and I don't wanna feed the squirrels all day.

It usually get's eaten overnight by my troop of 7 does.

Your plan with the boat winch is exactly what my dad does on his feeders. Mainly for bears. Also keeps the coons from spinning it out at night.

Eubanks01

Eight Pointer
This is what happened to 2 of our feeders we hung above the ground.

Attachments

• 548351392.jpg
    548351392.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 34

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've always set mine for 15-20 seconds at noon. Plenty of food on the ground for enticement, little potential for scaring off game, and saves a considerable amount of corn.

^This. Set it in the middle of the day. I'm not sure what kind of feeders guys are running, but if you're running less than 10 seconds a day, the deer are barely getting any. I may start at 10 seconds if it's a new spot to get them on it, then I run at least 20 seconds a day.

creekhobo

Ten Pointer
I put a skirt around the bottom of my feeders so it will drop straight down.
Squirrels will eat a plastic feeder. :mad:
Before...
2008005.jpg
After...
feeder1014.jpg
Drill a hole in the winch for a lock.
DSC068431.jpg

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
If you live in an area with bears, good luck. I dont care what you do with the feeder they will find a way to tear it down. Some setups take them longer to figure out than others but I promise it will come down eventually.

I have mine set for 5 seconds at 7am and 5 seconds at 5:30pm year round so the deer are semi use to it. They don't really frequent in as much during spring and summer but they are very active in fall and winter.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
I set mine that's on my land for 8 seconds at daylight and 8 seconds a couple hours before dark (changing as the daylight time shortens).

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I like to set mine to throw out just enough corn to keep 'em coming. I usually set mine to go off a bit before dusk. That way, turkeys don't come by and clean it up before the deer get a chance at it, and me at them. If you hunt mornings as well, you can either set it to go off again before dawn, or keep adjusting the evening spin time upwards until there is some uneaten still on the ground in the morning.