Advice needed

The Foreigner

Button Buck
Ok folks, I'm fairly new to hunting and have little "field-knowledge". The private, 45 acre plot I have been hunting, which is surrounded by hundreds of acres of forest, water and swamp, has been cut down. Everything is gone except for the trees to which the tree stands were attached!

The company taking the trees is also spraying the undergrowth to kill it right back. Typically this property has been stuffed to the gills with deer, mainly does, but also a good number of bucks.

Two questions: what effect do you think this will have on this year's hunt? Some have said, the first year will be rough and then recover, others have said, that a 45 acre cut will be fantastic for hunting. Thoughts? Second question: do you , and when do you, start to feed pre-season?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Its been my experience that "the first year will be rough and then recover," is usually the case. If the cutover is allowed to grow back, years two & three will improve; the key is to maintain paths & shooting lanes as the undergrowth grows back.

The Foreigner

Button Buck
Its been my experience that "the first year will be rough and then recover," is usually the case. If the cutover is allowed to grow back, years two & three will improve; the key is to maintain paths & shooting lanes as the undergrowth grows back.
Thanks. I should have added, that I believe they will be replanting pine throughout the 45 acres.

Southern

Ten Pointer
If they are spraying it, the recovery will likely be longer. You may have just a pass through plot for a few years. If not sprayed, years 2-4 or so are usually spectacular

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Most of the time they are spraying a selective herbicide and there will be plenty of browse to still attract a deer. Occasionally they spray or apply a non-selective product and you will be left with a deer desert for several years to come. If you can, I'd ask them what product they sprayed. Some will allow you to plant the loading decks and grasses and grains will grow well if a broadleaf herbicide was used.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Plant near border cover with food plot i myself don't like the future with planted pines hopefully there will be some browse back by at least next year then you'll be alright

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
which is surrounded by hundreds of acres of forest, water and swamp,

Because of all that good habitat surrounding your tract, I bet you will see a lot of deer activity this fall in and around your 45 acres. Whether the deer are using it for a food source or not, I imagine they will be crossing it quite a bit in their daily travels, especially during the rut. Provided there's not too much pressure on them, that is. Keep us posted.

ahales

Four Pointer
I had the same situation last year on a piece I hunt. It was logged and surrounded on all side by thick woods and swamp. The deer used the heck out of my spot to travel and browse on some of the new growth. It was so much easier for them to travel through the cutover. As others mentioned it should get better each year and soon be a bedding spot for the deer.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I’ll do you a favor and hunt it the first year and you can have it after that. It’s gonna be terrible maybe even miserable. But I’m will no to take one for the team. That’s just how nice I am................

I think you posted same question on FB. I say it again. Haha. Lock and load!! No other place I’d rather hunt than a fresh clearcut. Yeah, it’ll get better as you get regrowth, but if you have a lot of deer there and woods/thickets all the way around it, hunt it. Cold clear mornings are the best!!!!

Said it before and I’ll say it again. Logging be it clear cuts or select cuts bother deer hunters way more than they bother deer.

The Foreigner

Button Buck
I’ll do you a favor and hunt it the first year and you can have it after that. It’s gonna be terrible maybe even miserable. But I’m will no to take one for the team. That’s just how nice I am................

I think you posted same question on FB. I say it again. Haha. Lock and load!! No other place I’d rather hunt than a fresh clearcut. Yeah, it’ll get better as you get regrowth, but if you have a lot of deer there and woods/thickets all the way around it, hunt it. Cold clear mornings are the best!!!!

Said it before and I’ll say it again. Logging be it clear cuts or select cuts bother deer hunters way more than they bother deer.

Well spotted sir. Thought I'd cast the net widely. No harm no foul. It's interesting that there are broadly speaking two opinions - first that the opening year will be tough and then recover; second that it will be great hunting this year. Thanks for all the replies, I will keep you posted come season.

The Foreigner

Button Buck
Because of all that good habitat surrounding your tract, I bet you will see a lot of deer activity this fall in and around your 45 acres. Whether the deer are using it for a food source or not, I imagine they will be crossing it quite a bit in their daily travels, especially during the rut. Provided there's not too much pressure on them, that is. Keep us posted.
Thank you sir. Will keep you posted.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
go find you a tree about 8 - 10 ft tall,,,,cut her down and "plant it" about 15 ft from a corner of that clearcut,,,,trim low branches, so that first ones are at deer nozzle licking high,,,(about 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 ft,,,,,put you a mock scrape on it about the 3rd week of october and hang on!

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a tract cut, but not so completely as you describe, a few years ago. I actually saw more deer once it was cut than before. Also, be aware that they will not replant it until late fall to the end of Feb.
My advice is, hunt the edges. Likely, the stands/trees left will stick you out like a sore thumb. If there isn't a property line tree to use, or one that won't expose you too much, get a ground blind.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Many years ago on my first hunt to NC i hunted a barren clear cut and thought why am i here. Sitting for a few hours i was extremely disappointed and flat out upset that i drove all this distance to watch deer all over the place and some were just too far away to shoot. Could see deer movement all over the place and some well over 800 yards. Was wishing for some tree's to help hide them