advice needed...mod/cam issue **Updated**

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I'm having the same issue on 2 different bows of different makes. One bow has a binary cam system, the other is a one-cam bow. The issue is cut serving where the draw mod track meets the cam track. I can feel no apparent burrs, and the mods are nice and tight on the cam. Of course there is a small seam where the two meet but nothing feels sharp and the seams are not in the more 'radical' portions of the cam. I've even tried running a q-tip over the seam, looking for pulled fibers...nothing. But after about 5-600 shots the serving will eventually be 'cut' and here I go back to my string maker. Is there any special tool made to file/sand this area where the two meet to stop this ? What is my solution ? Don't have any reputable pro shop nearby and I've done my own work for 30+ years, but I admittedly know nothing about this issue...

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
you should try and have someone look or film in slo mo while pulling back, could be a very slow/small pinch point

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
I was hoping you would chime in....
Im north of Hickory, in Alexander Co., Taylorsville area.

If you have time and don’t mind a drive.
Call John at Johns Custom Archery in Ringgold Va. 434-251-0924. He can build you a set and you could possibly ride over to his shop one Saturday morning and have him install and setup for you. He will use serving that will not be as susceptible to what you are experiencing and he hand makes his strings and cables, so his servings will be tighter. It’s worth the effort and drive.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Mjbrady and Dadogg14 have provided good advice. You could also have some cam lean that could be part of the problem, but that is an easy fix for a tech.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Agree with MJBrady, your currents strings are not up to par. I can second the use of John’s strings. Well worth the money.
String building is the one thing I don't do. The current set came from a highly recommended source....ain't skeerd to opt for better. Thanks for the recommendations, i'll be giving John a shout.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
4C4D3582-ED8C-47C4-B9A3-97E85DDB8ADC.pngShe's on her way back to western NC.
John is truly a wizard, he brought a new life into a new bow.
It was an incorrect serving issue causing the separation where the mod attached to the cam. Also did a little shimming of the cams and put his super tune on it. The new threads look great, cant wait to shoot it. Thanks to all that suggested I reach out to John, very fast turn around and very fair pricing.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I promise you wont be disappointed...reminds me, I need to text him. Got a nick on my only 2 yr old string:/

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks to me like the string/serving may be a little tight. A string with less strands or thinner serving may help.

They have materials now that are a lot stronger. You can deleted a few strands with the new materials and be fine.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Looks to me like the string/serving may be a little tight. A string with less strands or thinner serving may help.

They have materials now that are a lot stronger. You can deleted a few strands with the new materials and be fine.

Yep...the original string builder used an end serving that was too thick. That cam track is very tight. JCA used Majesty for the end serving...problema solved ??

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good deal. I’m not sure what comes on bows these days new. I know a few years ago the aftermarket products from custom guys could be a lot better and have virtually no stretch. A couple strands less was used to pick up a bit of speed but could also make the string smaller.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
I have their strings and like them. Only set to compare quality would be catfish customs. BTW I'm in ellendale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You obviously haven’t shot many strings. John is one of the best at his craft in the country. I have used and serviced as many strings as anyone I know of. John will hold his weight with anyone, PERIOD!

hurricanepeppers

Six Pointer
You obviously haven’t shot many strings. John is one of the best at his craft in the country. I have used and serviced as many strings as anyone I know of. John will hold his weight with anyone, PERIOD!

There are many fine string builders. I was just sharing the 2 best strings I have had. Freedom strings. And catfish customs. That is all.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
There are many fine string builders. I was just sharing the 2 best strings I have had. Freedom strings. And catfish customs. That is all.

Sorry hurricane, I may have came off a little strong there. What I was intending to say is John has a National following. Many of the celebrity/professional hunters send him their bows to setup and build strings for. He’s not your typical guy down the street string builder. Good luck

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sorry hurricane, I may have came off a little strong there. What I was intending to say is John has a National following. Many of the celebrity/professional hunters send him their bows to setup and build strings for. He’s not your typical guy down the street string builder. Good luck
And the best part about John is you can drive up in his driveway and walk in his outbuilding and feel like you've been friends for years. He's a good a guy as you will find and superb string builder.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I haven’t been on archery talk in years, but is he the same person that was building custom PSEs for some folks?