Advice about Neighbors.

BigCountry40

Six Pointer
I live in a old single loop develpment (if you wana call it that) from the 50's outside city limits, it butts up agaisnt a small woods and farm fields with maybe dozen houses total. It is mostly older folks that live in the development with 2 families with kids (mine, which are 6 weeks old and 3 boys a crossed the street). We just had a new renter move in about a year ago, directly next to the family with 3 boys. The new renters have been causing problems since they moved in (speedy up down the road, smoking dope on the porch,dogs loose, parking cars in other people property, loud partied that over flow into other peoples yard at midnight, etc, etc) I have never complained to the police or the land lord, my neighbor with the 3 boys has numerous times. The land lord actually lives about 20 minutes away and his 84 year daddy looks after his properties. The land lord's daddy has flat out told me he is afraid to kick out the tenant b/c they are a minority. The 84 year old daddy had to go over and break up the party at midnight where kids were running everywhere dancing to booty poppin music. Everyone in the neighborhood is white other than a old minority lady that is a great neighbor (so you can see how this all could be percieved). Can anyone on here tell me what rights the land lord has if complaints are being made to him and not the police? Can he kick tenants out for these numerous complaints from different people? Or do we have to get the police involved if the tenant don't calm down and if police reports are filed can that kick them out? I dont want to start a war with people a crossed the street and it turns into a police calling pissing match b/c my chickens broke out of their coop and went into their yard. Any advice, ideas? I would like to handle this as a mature christian adult.

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Totally depends on what the lease says, but in any case without a police complaint paper trail its all heresay. Nest thing is to call the police it will give the landlord more power to fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ako_deerking

Twelve Pointer
Don't call the cops personally but have the landlord do it. They can come ask you questions but you don't have to disclose anything to the neighbors except what you want to tell them. That way you have the ability to truthfully tell them you didn't call the police so there is no deceit there. If speaking to them as adults hasn't happened than legal route is the only way.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I have 2 properties on the Outer Banks that are year round rentals...We sign a lease each year...This gives us the option of keeping the current tenants or letting them know we will not be leasing to them for the following 12 months...

So, I guess it depends upon how the landlord has the contract set with the current tenants...

Forget the black/white thing and just deal with all the same.......

If they were causing the type problems you mentioned and lived in my neighborhood, I would have already let my buddies in the police department know...

With the parties you mentioned and if they are really smoking pot on the property they could also be dealing...If so and they get busted then the landlord could lose the property...

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
If they are playing loud music at midnight call the PoPo. They should respond and see what the problem is. Constant calls about the same thing will give the landlord ammo to have them removed from his property. If they are smoking dope on the porch, call the PoPo and let them smell it there selves.

Last edited:

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Like other have said if the across the street noise is bothering you call the police, you dont have to give them your name just give the address where the music is coming from and they will respond. If you can get enough of your neighbors to call something will get done.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How about a neighborhood meeting to discuss the problem and possible solutions? A united front from all the neighbors should give you some power as well.

nc rabbit hunter

Good Luck,renters have more control than the landlord nowadays.Im surrounded now by trailer parks and all the trash that comes along with it,if they know the system they can be heck on the landlord!!!We use to have rentals and it was a mess.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
I live in a old single loop develpment (if you wana call it that) from the 50's outside city limits, it butts up agaisnt a small woods and farm fields with maybe dozen houses total. It is mostly older folks that live in the development with 2 families with kids (mine, which are 6 weeks old and 3 boys a crossed the street). We just had a new renter move in about a year ago, directly next to the family with 3 boys. The new renters have been causing problems since they moved in (speedy up down the road, smoking dope on the porch,dogs loose, parking cars in other people property, loud partied that over flow into other peoples yard at midnight, etc, etc) I have never complained to the police or the land lord, my neighbor with the 3 boys has numerous times. The land lord actually lives about 20 minutes away and his 84 year daddy looks after his properties. The land lord's daddy has flat out told me he is afraid to kick out the tenant b/c they are a minority. The 84 year old daddy had to go over and break up the party at midnight where kids were running everywhere dancing to booty poppin music. Everyone in the neighborhood is white other than a old minority lady that is a great neighbor (so you can see how this all could be percieved). Can anyone on here tell me what rights the land lord has if complaints are being made to him and not the police? Can he kick tenants out for these numerous complaints from different people? Or do we have to get the police involved if the tenant don't calm down and if police reports are filed can that kick them out? I dont want to start a war with people a crossed the street and it turns into a police calling pissing match b/c my chickens broke out of their coop and went into their yard. Any advice, ideas? I would like to handle this as a mature christian adult.

That right there (in bold and underlined) is your problem. The only way you are going to resolve this problem is if everyone affected by the disrespectful neighbors action, calls the law and the land lord, every single time they are partying to late, loud music, trespassing, using drugs, etc. Do it every single time. Also start a journal are well (advice given to me by a LEO buddy that worked narcotics), documenting everything as stated above, to include make model, plate #'s, type of occupants, time/date arrival & leaving, of vehicles coming and going from that residence. That could indicate drug dealing going on at the residence as well. If they are engaging in drug use and have children in that home call the county child services department.

rem1148

There is probably a county noise ordnance. Ours is after 11pm. If dope is involved I`d be sitting in a deputies car with him feeding details about what I`d seen! We had the same problems on our street. One lady just got out of jail and is trying to get her kids back after a meth lab bust. Also there is an occasional loud party but know one cares anymore because the noise stops promptly at 11pm. Also, anybody who owns a pet keeps them confined unless they are watching them while their out! 40% of our residents are 50 yrs. or older. The younger generation has been taught to respect them and their peace!

E Knight

I had the same problem 5 years ago with a rental neighbor called the law serval times called their land lord with no results. One night after calling the law three times and watching them leave and they would turn the music back up and it after 1:00 in the morning with two youngens trying to sleep I walked over with my 870 and shot there radio and asked if there was a problem in two weeks they moved problem solved may only in Johnston county but some times you got to do what you got to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Get their actions on video if they are acting crazy or smoking dope because the police, sheriff, etc. could view the video and see you are not making it up. It might even give them probable cause to search...it worked on a bad neighbor I had many years ago...

Baxter

Twelve Pointer
The 84 yr old landlord can get eviction notice and county law enforcement will serve it the landlord wont have to after that the minority has 30 days or its tresspassing and goes up from their.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I would talk to them 1st. Then if they do not comply I would call the police. And I would call the police so much that they would be as tired of it as I was.