Adopted Another Marlin

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I have too many projects and too many irons in the fire but I couldn't pass up a pre-safety Marlin 336 for under 250 bones. It is a plain Jane 336 made in 1976 with the bullseye missing from the rear stock and a few blemishes where it looks like a previous owner used a red Scotch-Brite pad on the barrel that removed some bluing and added some fine scratches. The wood could use a good refinish job also. It functions and fires so onward to making it suit my needs and working on making it look better.

I am going to put a Williams peep on this 336 and use a small 4x Leupold scope with Leupold QRW rings. I cut down the scope rail tonight to accommodate the peep sight and still use a scope. I hope to get the peep and scope sighted in the coming week. After the season closes I'll start work on the appearance package.

If any of you are using a Williams 5D peep what height front sight are you using? And are you using a standard brass bead sight, patridge style or fiber optic front sight?

<>< Fish

EhnLbNH.jpg

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If any of you are using a Williams 5D peep what height front sight are you using? And are you using a standard brass bead sight, patridge style or fiber optic front sight?

I have used both patridge style and a slim post with ball on top with the 5d,,,both worked for me

generally I don't like fiber optic sights on rifles (it seems to work in reverse for me - when it gets dusky, the "glow" of the fiber optic obscures my site picture),,,,,

I like the 5d,,,,good choice

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
^^ Yeah it is. LOL. Some folks are just built backwards.

Good find on the rifle and interesting sighting set up. Be looking forward to the finished product.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I cleaned the bore in prep for shooting and it was copper fouled beyond any Micro-Groove bore I have ever cleaned. I started with Montana X-Treme bore cleaner and switched to Sweets 7.62 after three cleanings with Montana. It is now very clean and looks to be in great shape through the smartphone bore scope I was using. Shooting it tomorrow if I have time.

<>< Fish

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Cool deal. I would have snatched it up too, prefect donor rifle for a .36 RPP. I have rifles with all the front sight types, but I prefer the 1/16" ivory bead sights. I think my front sights are .450" and .500" tall. I like the FP over the 5D though, easier to make fine adjustments. I have rifles with all the front sight types.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Finally shot the 336 today. I sighted the Williams in at 50 yards and got it down to around a 2" group and could hit the bright orange 6" gong at the 100 yard berm standing with the rifle resting in my hand braced on the shooting bench post. With the Leupold 4x it shot a sub 2" group at 100 yards with 150gr Winchesters and 160gr Hornadys. With a lot of luck I'll have it in the woods soon for a few hunts.

<>< Fish

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
After this deer season ends I am going to switch to a lower set of rings for the scope because I have plenty of clearance between the scope tube and the top of the peep. Then I'm going to refinish the stocks and get the metal finish looking nicer. Replacing the front sight is on the list also.

Edit: A Happy trigger is in the works too.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I have no experience with a Marlin. My son inherited a Marlin when his father-in-law passed away. We were up at the Caswell Shooting Range and there was a fellow there that was telling Garrett all about Marlin's. Apparently, Garrett got a good one. The guy was talking about the serial number, the hand carving on the stock and some other things. Regardless, it is a very sweet shooting 30/30..

Congratulations on your purchase.