Admin contact

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
In people elsewhere in the US don’t eat the stuff on that list...what the heck do they eat??

Tofu, bean sprouts, mudbugs, red beans and rice, poke, pot roast and potatos, blackened redfish, duck al 'orange, fried gar and carp nuggets, spinach, mixed greens salad, and don't forget rice-a-roni and chef-boyardee ! :ROFLMAO:

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
If anyone on here knows what "burgoo" or "chocolate gravy" is, please enlighten me. :ROFLMAO: 🤷‍♂️

Oh my lordy....chocolate gravy...if heaven ever were truly on earth its chocolate gravy.

It is true gravy, made the traditional way, my grandmaw used bacon grease and flour, then added the chocolate. Eaten over fresh biscuits. Guess you could use butter and flour but it aint for me.

Good on pancakes too...or toast...or you could pinch off dough and make chocolate dumplings.....dear lordy I miss grandmaw.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
A favorite sweet at our house was butter stirred into sorghum syrup on a plate or saucer and then sopped with or spooned onto a hot biscuit. Don't ever remember hearing a specific name for it though but it sure was good!

I used to do the same thing but ate it with crackers.
Butter stirred into honey with them Saltine's is jam-up good, too. (y)

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I can not imagine crackers even being in the same ball park as a fresh hot made from scratch home made biscuit.

They ain't.
I was a hyperactive kid and usually woke up at the crack of dawn. Sat and Sun mornings is when I'd usually eat that.
My mom raised my sister and I by herself. She worked all week, and was a little tired on the weekends.
I'd also eat that as a snack sometimes after school. Elementary school age.

Besides, my mom hardly ever made biscuits from scratch.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Heavy White Trash a'int included, but you ain't southern until you've tasted it once, and lernt to never try it again.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m at 31 on the list I think, honestly never heard of a few

Who doesn’t eat corn bread though ?

Tomato sandwich has been my lunch several times last few weeks with the good dukes mayonnaise of course

timber

Twelve Pointer
Tomato sandwich is something i never cared for. Was a staple here when growing up. I would put the tomato along with lettuce bacon and mayonnaise on the bread. Then mash the bread down with everything in. Then take the tomato off and throw in trash can

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Thin sliced spam, fried, with eggs. Took the place of bacon plenty of times at our house. Potted meat on a cracker or a can of sardines....... always kept some of each in the tool box back when I dog hunted down home.

And Woodmoose,......... had Rice-a-Roni last week............. the San Francisco treat.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You really want something good, google and make blueberry dumplings....sorry Im getting carried away. I like to eat.
My dad used to make those for us. Haven't had them in years. I need to make a batch. We had more blueberries on our bushes than we could give away this year.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Y'all are killing me this virus has stolen my taste and smell and I'm starving to taste something good anything on that list would due but the mater sandwich

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fried apple pies was our go to in the winter time. Made all the work gathering, slicing and drying the apples all worth it. Spread them out on a white sheet on the south facing tin porch roof, no ladder required. Just went upstairs and crawled of the window onto the roof. I helped with all of it but the roof work was all mine.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Fried apple pies was our go to in the winter time. Made all the work gathering, slicing and drying the apples all worth it. Spread them out on a white sheet on the south facing tin porch roof, no ladder required. Just went upstairs and crawled of the window onto the roof. I helped with all of it but the roof work was all mine.
I love fried apple pies probably my favorite sweet but I'm not real big on them made with dried apples I like them with canned apples better. Always had them around Christmas been family teadition forever

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I’ve had 37 on the list and most of that is just a rotation menu around here. We eat good when I’m in the kitchen. I was blessed to be raised by two very talented cooks but my grandfather was famous in town for many items he cooked. I was with him every second in the kitchen.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Have eaten most on the list. My mom had the distinct pleasure of ruining gizzards for me though. She ate them steamed...and the whole house would fill with that delicious aroma.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Dad used to call it "spotted meat" or "spotted dog" Bolony was "lips and peckers" Vienna Sausage was "puppy peters"

Yes, sir.
I have heard several names for them that can't be posted here. :ROFLMAO:

What always killed me was, some guys would open vienna sausages and "slurp" the congealed(juice) off the top...
🤮 🤮🤮

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
What always killed me was, some guys would open vienna sausages and "slurp" the congealed(juice) off the top...

1 - I’ve been hungry enough to “slurp” that juice or similar when every calorie is needed to keep the machine going

2 - don’t ya know thats were all the vitamins and minerals are!!

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
1 - I’ve been hungry enough to “slurp” that juice or similar when every calorie is needed to keep the machine going

2 - don’t ya know thats were all the vitamins and minerals are!!

Oh, I understand being that hungry !
There have been times I would have cleaned the can out myself. Luckily for me that wasn't the first thing I got to that was edible.
I did eat Spam one time. It was fried. It was consumed like it was backstrap steaks off the grill ! The Spam was the only thing there to eat.

ETA..... I find the old MRE dehydrated pork patties more appealing than the canned meat in this discussion.

Last edited: