adjustable choke tube

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Had one on a mossberg 12g. Hated it. Couldn't ever get it to pattern the same twice in a row. Sold it and bought another mossberg with standard screw in chokes.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Back in the day, there was no such thing as a short barreled SG with much barrel restriction. I was always of a mind that a "riot gun" could benefit from some tighter patterns that were not possible with a CYL or IC choke.

I took a 28" vent-rib barrel and had them cut it off near the legal minimum so as to allow for the rib to be perfectly mated to a (permanently mounted) Poly-Choke adjustable choke. That ended up being between 19 and 20 inches.

It was a very clean looking (and quick handling) arrangement and it shot reasonably well with smaller shot ..... say #4 through #8. But, my mission for this gun was personal protection so I was only interested in buckshot performance and the Poly-Choke never really delivered in that regard.

I too would be interested to know how effective the newer offerings like the TRUGLO Titan are.

Last edited:

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Back in the day, there was no such thing as a short barreled SG with much barrel restriction. I was always of a mind that a "riot gun" could benefit from some tighter patterns that were not possible with a CYL or IC choke.

I took a 28" vent-rib barrel and had them cut it off near the legal minimum so as to allow for the rib to be perfectly mated to a (permanently mounted) Poly-Choke adjustable choke. That ended up being between 19 and 20 inches.

It was a very clean looking (and quick handling) arrangement and it shot reasonably well with smaller shot ..... say #4 through #8. But, my mission for this gun was personal protection so I was only interested in buckshot performance and the Poly-Choke never really delivered in that regard.

I too would be interested to know how effective the newer offerings like the TRUGLO Titan are.
You must have been a rabbit Hunter In the 80s
I have seen some pretty a5s and Remington's version barrel cut with poly chokes on the end.

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk