Adios Coach Mo

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
The OL line depth is horrible. DL depth is thin but in much better shape than OL. Those 2 groups are the hardest for ECU to recruit depth. On OL, we are playing a bunch of young guys. No program can be successful suiting up 18-19 year olds against 21-22 year olds. That extra 2-3 years in the weight room and practice is just too valuable.

Until ECU can get depth and older on OL and DL, it is going to be a struggle.

But I am excited about Houston. I think he is the exact type of coach we need for a complete rebuild. Now to see what staff he puts together...

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Thread starter #33
I'm excited about Houston coming to Greenville. However, he made it clear that he "has career aspirations"....aka, "ECU is a stepping stone toward my end goal". Enjoy him while he's here!!!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I'm excited about Houston coming to Greenville. However, he made it clear that he "has career aspirations"....aka, "ECU is a stepping stone toward my end goal". Enjoy him while he's here!!!
that's good for ecu cause if he don't win and win quick those career aspirations can be set back.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
After the last 4 years of this bull shart, I hope he does restore ECU to glory and leave for greener pastures. That's a hell of a lot better option than being the conference door mat.

DC-DXT

Ten Pointer
In today’s college football environment, most coaches are using their current school as a stepping stone or future pay raise if another school shows interest in the coach. Saban & Dabo are anomalies in college football, they’re already getting paid top $$. FSU lost their coach last year, as did Oregon, to other schools and they are 2 programs with very deep pockets.

Most coaches either get fired or leave for more money. As long as Houston leaves ECU in better shape than it was when he got the job, then I’m fine with it.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Can't not root for ECU until Coach Houston moves on. :p

I've been around Coach Houston for a few years. He was the HC of TC Roberson High when I played. That was the last time TCR has ever been great in football. He moved on to Brevard College as I went there as well. He was DC under Bobby Poss. I also noticed he hired Coach Tesh as an assistant at ECU. Tesh got his start at BC as the defensive line coach. Anyone that ever played for them loved them.

They were some young dudes back then but they know this state really well. They'll do well in Greenville.

1544716391326.png

DC-DXT

Ten Pointer

I've been around Coach Houston for a few years. He was the HC of TC Roberson High when I played. That was the last time TCR has ever been great in football. He moved on to Brevard College as I went there as well. He was DC under Bobby Poss. I also noticed he hired Coach Tesh as an assistant at ECU. Tesh got his start at BC as the defensive line coach. Anyone that ever played for them loved them.

They were some young dudes back then but they know this state really well. They'll do well in Greenville.

View attachment 23315
You can go online to Dowdy Student stores or UBE and buy some ECU t-shirts now. You might like that purple & gold!!!

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Thread starter #42

View attachment 23315
Not sure why, but after reading your post I now have a solid sense of confirmation regarding ECU's hire, and my own personal excitement about this one.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure why, but after reading your post I now have a solid sense of confirmation regarding ECU's hire, and my own personal excitement about this one.

I think it's a great hire.

Houston is a coaches coach, a blue collar guy. He's been successful everywhere he's been, at every level. He went to TC Roberson High (Roy Williams HS :)) in the 1990's when they weren't known for much then except being a rich kids school in the Biltmore Park area of Buncombe County. He turned them into a football school and got every ounce out of those kids. They've struggled to replicate that success since.

During his time at TCR he coached against Bobby Poss. If you don't know Bobby, he's one of the greatest HS coaches to ever coach in NC. He won five 4-A state championships at 3 different schools in NC, everywhere from Fayetteville to Asheville. Bobby built AC Reynolds HS into a power, even took them down to Florida and beat a power out of Texas. Anyway, when Bobby was called about starting up the Brevard College football program one of the first people he called was Mike Houston to come be his defensive coordinator. Bobby thought Mike was one of the greatest young coaches in the game at the time, so he told the local media. Brevard at the time didn't have a football program and they were an NAIA school. They announced they wanted to field a football program in less than 12 months.......... oh, and they were bumping up to D2 at the same time. :oops:

What they did in that first year with a team full of freshman was nothing short of amazing. They only won 3 games but nobody expected them to win any let alone be competitive! Mike's defense was stout. After the season, the rumor was that Coach Poss didn't feel like the school was taking football seriously and essentially lit them a new one about what was needed to elevate the program. They didn't like it, and fired him. That was probably the dumbest move they ever made, they were never going to find a staff as good as that one again and haven't.

Anyway, the old Duke coach Fred Goldsmith was coaching at Lenoir Rhyne at the time. Fred before coaching at L-R was coaching at Franklin HS, Mike Houston's alma mater, against Mike when he was at TCR. He brought Mike in to be the DC after seeing what he did at Brevard in just 1 year. Mike ultimately got the HC gig at L-R after Fred retired. He led to them to the Division 2 national title game in 2013 and the rest is history.

One thing I've also noticed about Mike's teams is that they always succeed even after he is gone. Lenoir-Rhyne went 14-1 the season after he left, Citadel went 10-2, and obviously JMU will be fine. Compare that to Larry Fedora and Southern Mississippi who after he left went 1-23 in 2 seasons following. What that tells me is that Mike truly knows how to build a program and coach those kids up to be successful, even if he wasn't there. I think that'll bode well for ECU.

(Sorry for the long winded response, just wanted to provide what little insight I had. I never played football for BC, I went with the opportunity to walk on for basketball. It never came to fruition, as the cost was too steep. After 2 semesters I never went back. However, 3 of my best friends from high school went to play football on that first team. 2 of them were an LB and DT, who played for Mike's defense. The other was an OL. We shared a suite together. David, the DT who not only played on Mike's defense but Roy Tesh was his position coach. Coach Tesh is now the Special Teams Coordinator/Bandits coach at ECU. They all loved playing for those guys. I think ECU is in good hands.)

Last edited:
Houston is a darn good coach, but he isn't dialing up miracles. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
from 70-0 (or whatever it was) this year to a win next year would just be outstanding. Biggest back to back turn around in ncaa history maybe?
Jug go to this one instead of a mid season game. I think you are bad luck on state college. :)