Adding another aspect to things this year

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
It was 97 when I pulled outta work in Gatlinburg at 4 o’clock. This weather is making me feel a little better about not running the pup while she’s in heat. Gonna try to get @Bluedogman ’s gargantuan blue tick beagle started Saturday evening. No shortage of rabbits around here

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Did some running/training this evening. She’s getting a little more figured out each day. Still can’t believe how well she responds to toning. She was 100 yds from me down a draw in the timber and I was up the hill on the other side of a buncha overgrown honeysuckle. Couldn’t see each other and I couldn’t hear her working. Toned her a few times and she headed right back to me.

Reactions: DRS

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Man oh man. What a good evening. She jumped and ran two separate rabbits tonight. The second one was hilarious. They’ve got a driveway half mile long with a steep bank going up on one side and a steep bank going down on the other side. I had her back on her lead and my wife hollers “there’s a rabbit!”. I turned around to see where she was talking about and there’s one hauling butt down the middle of the driveway right towards me n the pup. It gets 5 feet from us before it notices us and hooks a sharp right up the bank. She saw it and I turned her loose and she got on it. Fortunately I was able to run up right behind her to see what she was actually doing. I had also seen where the rabbit went so I’d get to see if she barked regardless or only when she was actually on it. Just like before, she only opened up when she finds/re finds the track . @Bluedogman text me from up the hill Saying she sounded good . So he got to hear the race too(and all his coon dogs did too. lol sorry). Grateful for him to have the opportunity to have a great place to train her. She’s a fun little dog! Come hunting season I think I’ll be able to kill a few for the skillet

also I was rereading some of the stuff in the thread and this really made me laugh for a second time @woodmoose and @DRS
6309E516-2D8A-4A45-9071-FF0605840B92.jpeg

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Just got done workin with the beagle some more. The heat sucks. She don’t have an ounce of quit in her so I finally had to cut it off and take her to get water and lay in front of the kennel fan. Had her circle one back to me . Woulda been a dead rabbit during season. The way she hunts surprises me sometimes. I’ll watch her lift her head up on track and turn on the after burners and I’ll think she is 100% gonna miss her check. At the last possible second , she will drop her nose and turn on a dime where the rabbit turns. And I know she wasn’t sight chasing because she was 10’ down a steep bank , I was on the gravel road, and the rabbit had already crossed and was out of view Of me and definitely her . Good times. Ready for cooler weather

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Just got done workin with the beagle some more. The heat sucks. She don’t have an ounce of quit in her so I finally had to cut it off and take her to get water and lay in front of the kennel fan. Had her circle one back to me . Woulda been a dead rabbit during season. The way she hunts surprises me sometimes. I’ll watch her lift her head up on track and turn on the after burners and I’ll think she is 100% gonna miss her check. At the last possible second , she will drop her nose and turn on a dime where the rabbit turns. And I know she wasn’t sight chasing because she was 10’ down a steep bank , I was on the gravel road, and the rabbit had already crossed and was out of view Of me and definitely her . Good times. Ready for cooler weather

bring her down this way this winter,,, got a spot or three,,,

Wake native

Six Pointer
Sounds like she is coming along nicely! If she can run one right by herself

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Sounds like she is coming along nicely! If she can run one right by herself
Thanks man! It’s funny I tried to start her with a really good group of experienced rabbit dogs. All she did was play grab ass, go the opposite way of the dogs when they found a track, chase me around, and eat grass lol. Soloing her was the best advice I got from an old timer a couple months ago

Wake native

Six Pointer
Thanks man! It’s funny I tried to start her with a really good group of experienced rabbit dogs. All she did was play grab ass, go the opposite way of the dogs when they found a track, chase me around, and eat grass lol. Soloing her was the best advice I got from an old timer a couple months ago
I have heard of dogs that were only soloed never want to pack up. you may want to get her some of both if you can if you plan to hunt her with a pack any.
Just my 2cents:)

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Holy humidity Batman! I went over to Cherokee yesterday afternoon to meet the downeast wrecking crew and the weather was mild. Don’t think I really broke a sweat at all. Was up early sitting on the porch overlooking the river and it was 63°.

Fast forward to tonight. Just got done running the dogs at 930pm and it’s 82 and super humid. Beagle female was too wired up and missed a boatload of checks. She was trying to wind them more than hunt the ground. The dachshund beagle aka the silent killer circled one really good . He thought he’d stay quiet and run all night but I had the garmin on him with the strobes flashing lol. Bout 2 min before I went and caught him, beagle female started hunting the way she’s supposed to and was burning one up in the dark. There was an area where a rabbit had been feeding and she covered every inch of it till she lined it out. Every little subtle variation the rabbit made side to side or back n forth , she was checking her little heart out. I was thrilled. But Once she realized she was bout to get put back in the kennel, she decided to be quiet too and disappear in the timber . But she stayed inside 75 yds and came back to me. Good times

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I was hoping to build you up a big rabbit supply out here, but right now the ospreys are taking a toll on anything that hops into the open.

Doesn't help the hunting forecast, but it makes for good back porch rocking chair beer drinking entertainment.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I was hoping to build you up a big rabbit supply out here, but right now the ospreys are taking a toll on anything that hops into the open.

Doesn't help the hunting forecast, but it makes for good back porch rocking chair beer drinking entertainment.
Lol hey it’s the thought that counts! We’ve got a few owls around but still rabbits everywhere

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Biggest issue we are having right now(and I’m NOT complaining) is how covered up we are with rabbits right now. She gets one jumped and runs it good and ends up jumping a different one and running that one and so on and so on and so on. Sometimes it works out ok cuz my dachshund beagle will pick up one of the tracks. Really wish he’d bark. Been keeping a tracking collar on him and am able to see what he’s doing , which helps me decide whether to go to him or her first. Cannot wait for cooler temps this weekend to do some morning running

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Its hard to get a good chase out of young rabbits.
Well I’m relieved to hear it’s not a unique situation lol. I’m grateful for her progress. She’s a little more than a year old and 3 months ago showed no signs of hunting. I really get tickled when she comes back towards me and meticulously checks the ground around me and looks up to make sure I’m watching lol

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Ran her solo while it was cool out. She did good. Like @Wake native said…those puppy races can be short lived lol. She ran a few, one of which she really did a great job being consistent with her checks. I just love the beagle temperament and she’s got enough pup in her to still switch between rabbit beagle and goofy pup. She helps me not take my stuff too seriously. She discovered my wife’s 2 young ducks for the first time today. I was 65 yds from her in a thicket down in the bottoms. I had an inkling she was headed to them so I called my wife and told her to lemme know what she does. She ran the ducks under one of our vehicles and I bumped her with the continuous voltage and she squealed like a stuck pig and shot back into the woods. Later she was on a track behind @Bluedogman ’s goat pen. The track was 3’ behind their pen and they both went up on their hind legs “baaaaaaaaaaaaa”. She took one quick glance and decided to stick with her rabbit track. Looking forward to the upcoming season

Wake native

Six Pointer
Ran her solo while it was cool out. She did good. Like @Wake native said…those puppy races can be short lived lol. She ran a few, one of which she really did a great job being consistent with her checks. I just love the beagle temperament and she’s got enough pup in her to still switch between rabbit beagle and goofy pup. She helps me not take my stuff too seriously. She discovered my wife’s 2 young ducks for the first time today. I was 65 yds from her in a thicket down in the bottoms. I had an inkling she was headed to them so I called my wife and told her to lemme know what she does. She ran the ducks under one of our vehicles and I bumped her with the continuous voltage and she squealed like a stuck pig and shot back into the woods. Later she was on a track behind @Bluedogman ’s goat pen. The track was 3’ behind their pen and they both went up on their hind legs “baaaaaaaaaaaaa”. She took one quick glance and decided to stick with her rabbit track. Looking forward to the upcoming season
Nice cool morning here. Mine did ok. Only had one chase that was decent. Maybe 40 minutes long. A couple short chases that i think were young rabbits. My pups are 11months and are doing ok for the amount of time put on them. I wouldnt expect them to solo as good as yours

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Nice cool morning here. Mine did ok. Only had one chase that was decent. Maybe 40 minutes long. A couple short chases that i think were young rabbits. My pups are 11months and are doing ok for the amount of time put on them. I wouldnt expect them to solo as good as yours
Haha you may be giving us too much credit, but thanks. We are def jumping young rabbits too. I believe she is maybe 14 months. Been in the field since February but only really started hunting in may. She’s still got a lot to figure out. I’d bet that there’s a lot of times where she starts one and ends up on different ones because of the way her tracks look