Adding another aspect to things this year

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I’ve said it a bunch but I don’t think I’ll know what hunting I enjoy and what I don’t till I’ve had a taste of it all. Feller from down the road invited me to church and eat a Buncha food with some folks yesterday morning. Had a great time and ate dang good. We were just about to leave when he got to asking who I bear hunt with. The conversation evolved into him telling me he’s kept rabbit beagles for years and would love to take me. He showed me a Buncha videos of them hunting big Christmas tree farms and some other places. I’m really looking forward to it. The other day someone had posted on her asking what shotgun to get for his daughter. 28ga was the most popular answer. Well yesterday the guy asked what guns I had and he said “no problem those will be fine. But if you REALLY wanna enjoy yourself, get a 28ga.” I said yeah I’ve been hearing that a lot lately 😂

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
You're a lucky man for the opportunity.

I ain't gonna lie, even though it kinda takes away from me getting another gun.

I started rabbit hunting with a single shot 20 gauge and 40 years later, I haven't really changed that at all.

Birds I've gone to SxS, and a pump for waterfowl, but I've ran a single 20 or 410 on rabbits since dot.

Maybe I need a single shot 28? :unsure:

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
You're a lucky man for the opportunity.

I ain't gonna lie, even though it kinda takes away from me getting another gun.

I started rabbit hunting with a single shot 20 gauge and 40 years later, I haven't really changed that at all.

Birds I've gone to SxS, and a pump for waterfowl, but I've ran a single 20 or 410 on rabbits since dot.

Maybe I need a single shot 28? :unsure:
I've had an H&R single shot 28 gauge since 1976,,,, love that gun,,,
@Bluedogman was kind enough to gimme a H and R single shot 20 for the boy to tote when he hunts with me. It will definitely get some time with the beagles and rabbits this year

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
@Bluedogman was kind enough to gimme a H and R single shot 20 for the boy to tote when he hunts with me.
I had an H&R 20 I kinda grew attached to; it was choked so full, it would wad a rabbit up inside of 30 yards. Had to aim off just to avoid major carnage.

i ended up giving it to a kid, but before I did, I took 2" off the stock and 1" off the barrel, just to open the choke a little.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I had an H&R 20 I kinda grew attached to; it was choked so full, it would wad a rabbit up inside of 30 yards. Had to aim off just to avoid major carnage.

i ended up giving it to a kid, but before I did, I took 2" off the stock and 1" off the barrel, just to open the choke a little.
Heck yeah. Bluedog said he’s dropped turkeys consistently at 30 yds with that choke. Good point tho about not damaging rabbit meat. Got my wife a sig pistol so I’m just biding my time till I come home with a 28 lol

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I grew up rabbit hunting with dogs. We had a pack and it was a family affair on Sat and holidays. Sadly I grew up and got deer fever and that fell by the wayside for 30 years. I got back into it with some friends after my dad passed but wished I had never seen a deer and would have continued on with the family hunting.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
oh man, don't do it. If you want to retire, you don't need to do this.

When I was 14, we would deer hunt or rabbit hunt and then coon hunt. It went something like this. Load coon dogs of Friday evening, unload coon dogs Saturday morning, load deer dogs or rabbit dogs. Hut all day Saturday. Unload dogs, load coon dogs, hut till sometime Sunday morning (never done before midnight), Unload Dogs Sunday morning.

That was the good ole days of hunting. Summer after I turned 16, I figured out what that little Redhead girl smelled like.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Rabbit hunting with dogs has a lot longer to go than deer hunting with dogs does. The thought has crossed my mind a time or two....Its a ton of fun with a good pack.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Rabbit hunting and skirl hunting is what I did mainly from 10-16 years old. then The man i rabbit hunted with got out of it and and didnt hunt them much with dogs until 10 years ago or so. Now, it is back as probably my favorite thing to do. we have an "annual" hunt up in the mountains that I do not miss. fun times. I got some videos on some of those hunts on both my channels. I am biased but I have 2 friends who I hunt with alot and they have some of the best dogs around. fun stuff watching those dogs hunt them wabbits.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Rabbit hunting and skirl hunting is what I did mainly from 10-16 years old. then The man i rabbit hunted with got out of it and and didnt hunt them much with dogs until 10 years ago or so. Now, it is back as probably my favorite thing to do. we have an "annual" hunt up in the mountains that I do not miss. fun times. I got some videos on some of those hunts on both my channels. I am biased but I have 2 friends who I hunt with alot and they have some of the best dogs around. fun stuff watching those dogs hunt them wabbits.
Heck yeah that’s awesome

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have a H&R Topper junior model 28 gauge I got for Christmas when I was 10 years old, I love a 28 gauge but a box of shells are high

I had one of those as a kid in high school,,, shot many a winter squirrel with it,,, then sold it (1979),,, bought another in like 2010 just for memories sake,,,

yes, at times 28 gauge shells are higher priced than 12 or 20,, but by watching sales and reloading you mitigate that

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Won’t be going to Allegheny county to hunt tomorrow BUT I will be turning loose with a guy in Mitchell county . Just ready to hear some beagles strike a track and a good race. If I get to shoot the new gun it’ll be a bonus

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Won’t be going to Allegheny county to hunt tomorrow BUT I will be turning loose with a guy in Mitchell county . Just ready to hear some beagles strike a track and a good race. If I get to shoot the new gun it’ll be a bonus
Had an absolute blast today with the 7 beagles. It was their first hunt of the seaso . Mid 20s and frozen ground when we started this morning. Shortly after we wondered whether the frozen ground would affect the dogs, they had one jumped. We had shot opportunities on all 7 that they jumped, but only took 3. Two minutes after the first rabbit was killed they bumped another one and I had an easy pop shot in the pasture. I lowered my gun and my buddy asked if everything was alright. All was well…I just wanted to see/hear a good race lol. I didn’t raise my gun the rest of the day. Of the 7, they had one really good long loud race at the end of the day once they seemed dialed in and warmed up. We had so much fun. Ended up hitting 40 degrees. It was a nice change of pace from chasing bear dogs all over the country. Also excited cuz they said I could run my beagle dog with their pack next time.

EBF49CA0-D74E-4C61-9A0E-CD8F3C5A46A0.jpeg
4418B3BB-BC32-4D8C-AA6D-ADD8262ABF81.jpeg

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Nice. That's a lot of fun when when you have rabbits. Them little beagles are a blast.
Definitely Scott. I wasn’t use to it at first. They’d blow up on a track and get moving . Kept reaching for the garmin and then I’d realize, never mind they’re only 70 yds and I can see em plain as day. Had to turn off the bear hunting brain.