Adding another aspect to things this year

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Got the dogs out today. It was pretty hot but they needed to get out. Kept em watered good and sat down with em every time they decided to find a patch of shade and cool down. Right as we turned loose, 3 very small young rabbits went shooting different directions bout 80 yds out. The dogs put on the afterburners and decided the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze lol. Finally got a good race going with an adult rabbit . It bout ran in a perfect figure 8 and found a hole to disappear into. The female beagle is getting a deeper bawl to her voice. Sounds good. I brought a water bowl with me and every 30 min or so they’d circle back and drink and lay in the shade. Also got to do some chicken training. They are at the point where I don’t have to even hit the tone or shock. Raise my voice and they’ll shy away from them. Except for the dachshund beagle. He’s always been great with yard birds. I’ve seen him run into the flock and roll on his back and let the birds peck at him

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Dogs didn’t wanna run too much in the summer heat. Can’t blame em. I’d turn them loose but limited where/how long could. Had water staged in a few areas.

Weather has gotten a lot cooler. Cut them loose for the first time in 2 weeks yesterday . They were wide open for the first hour or so just enjoying the weather and the woods. I was just glad they were getting some exercise. But she will have me convinced she doesn’t remember what a rabbit smells like or how to find one. After that, they all split up. Female beagle got one jumped and her and the dachshund mix ran it pretty good together. Once it found a hole, they split back up. He took the ridge above the driveway and she took the brushy bottoms below. Never got on another one but they did their due diligence. Finished the day with a little over two miles. That last 45 min she checked every brush pile, log, blowdown, cedar thicket etc.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Dogs have been doing great with this cold weather. Rabbits been really active. Just watched 2 of the dogs figure out a pretty confusing track. I gave them till last light and the rabbit crossed in front of me. Hooked up leads and brought them up to lay by the woodstove. Don’t really want em running too late. Coyotes been hunting like crazy

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Decided to turn the dogs loose and just let them work while I did some stuff in the yard. 80°+ here so I had the water bowls and the kiddie pool on standby. The little black mutt just wanted to hang out with me while did yard work. But the beagle female and the dach beagle mix hunted their butts off for 2.5 hours . The last race felt way too much like a mountain bear hunt for my liking. I heard her open up and I walked over to the garmin to take a gander and they were at 372. They got on the side of a ridge with some cedar and pine blowdowns and found them one. Wasn’t a whole lot of places for it to hide so they went round and round for awhile. Finally pulled them off of it and put ‘em in the kennel for shade and water.
IMG_4265.jpeg
IMG_4266.jpeg
IMG_4268.jpeg

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I should also add I appreciate the guys that told me to spend some time training with tone. The dach beagle is stubborn about it a lot of the times but my female responds super well to it. Since she’s the closest thing to a real rabbit dog that I have, I can tone her off a track (or her looking for a new one) and that’ll prompt the other to head back with her

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
.....the dach beagle mix.....
You have one of those low riders?

I had one, named Liz (after a recent ex).

Best rabbit and squirrel dog I ever had, especially for an indoor kept dog. I was single at the time, and I didn't have a problem with the dog on furniture....

Sadly, she was such a hunter, she climbed a 4' chain link fence in order to run a squirrel. I almost caught her before she threw herself over the top.

She ended up getting hit in the road.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
You have one of those low riders?

I had one, named Liz (after a recent ex).

Best rabbit and squirrel dog I ever had, especially for an indoor kept dog. I was single at the time, and I didn't have a problem with the dog on furniture....

Sadly, she was such a hunter, she climbed a 4' chain link fence in order to run a squirrel. I almost caught her before she threw herself over the top.

She ended up getting hit in the road.
That dog has zero quit in him. When it’s warm I gotta go get him and make sure he gets cooled down. He will run and run and run and run. I killed quite a few woodcock with his help. Hate to hear that about yours 😔

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Had a dach/beagle for a pet. He loved running rabbits and the occasional deer on our woods walks. I decided to take my shotgun one day. He was blistering a rabbit. Rabbit made a swing around me and I rolled it. Here came Beamer, dog's name, he got to the rabbit and was like WTH, that was my buddy. He tucked his tail and started home. He would still run the heck out of one on our walks. Problem was he would not leave the house, if I had a gun. Well, I did enjoy those walks and races, so I agreed no guns.