Acorn Report...

Aaron871

Four Pointer
I hunt in Ashe, Allegheny, Wilkes, and Grayson Counties.

I don’t see much of anything for white oaks this year.... seems odd to me, am I alone?

Whatcha got in the trees this year?

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
We had a storm yesterday evening and it blew a bunch off the trees. White and red. I’m in Stokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
In yall's opinion or experience will deer utilize acorns from trees that have been cut, acorns that would normally fall in several weeks?
They are Clearcutting now laying down tops filled with acorns near where i can hunt.
You think/know if they will be of interest to the deer?

Aaron871

Four Pointer
In yall's opinion or experience will deer utilize acorns from trees that have been cut, acorns that would normally fall in several weeks?
They are Clearcutting now laying down tops filled with acorns near where i can hunt.
You think/know if they will be of interest to the deer?

Yes!

IMHO.....

They will especially enjoy the leaves of red oaks. Should have the same affect as “hinge cutting”. I would expect the deer to be all over them immediately.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
The red and white started falling in Orange County a week or more ago. Every storm we get knocks more down.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I was doing some bushhogging on the property I hunt last Tuesday. The sawtooths were loaded, as they were last year, the year before that, and the year before that. That’s why I love’em. Native or not, they will have acorns every year. Only acorn they’ll bypass the sawtooths over are whiteoaks, which on that property, I’ve seen no acorns this year.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
how about some feedback?
I aint seeing many whiteoak acorns at all. Saw some loaded beech trees that are in play.
Plenty of red oak acorns.
what's your take on the mast?

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
how about some feedback?
I aint seeing many whiteoak acorns at all. Saw some loaded beech trees that are in play.
Plenty of red oak acorns.
what's your take on the mast?

I've seen red oaks on the ground in two different spots, I think the wind blew em out, no white oak acorns yet.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Haven't seen any white oaks here that had much on them, but I haven't broken out the binos just yet. I can usually see them from the ground if they've got a good crop though, and every one I've seen has been empty.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In Polk, Rutherford and Cleveland counties, they are about moderate plenty on the trees, but not just a bumper crop.

In Surry, Stokes, and Rockingham counties, about the same, maybe slightly heavier crop.

In Stanly, and Rowan counties they are spotty. I’ve got one property that’s loaded, and another that’s very sparse, almost non existent. My other properties fall somewhere in between

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Small acorn crop in western Harnett this year. I have not seen any tree in the wild that is covered up with acorns. Seen a few that get consistent fertilizer that are loaded in Lee and Harnett county.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This is what all the trees on our new lease look like. Very sparse!!

Attachments

• 20190824_175934.jpg
    20190824_175934.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: jug

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Woods,are,loaded with acorns,around,home,had a tornado,come,by Friday and,it blew,acorns off all,over the woods,at least there is a ton where I have my stand,going be slim pickings on hinting corn,for awhile.