Accutip 20ga vs 450 Bushmaster?

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Both are 260gr I assume the 450 BM is .450" does anyone know off the top of their head diameter of the 20ga accutip? I was thinking about a Ruger American in 450 BM but already own a Savage 220.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I believe they use the same bullet. The 450 is a little faster, thus shoots a little flatter. I doubt there is much difference at realistic ranges. Neither is meant to be a long range round. The cost of slugs is much higher but you can buy a lot of slugs with the money saved not buying a new gun.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
With a 22" barrel the 20ga Accutip is 1850-1900fps, the specs on Remingtons site has the 450BM at 2100fps but that's out of a 24" barrel, out of a Ruger Ranch with a 16" barrel probably gonna be less, don't think it would make much sense for me to buy a 450BM seeing as how in the real world they would probably have same result on a Deer.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I had kicked around the idea of buying a 450bm a few months back and came to the exact conclusion the op did since I already had a rifled 20 slug gun.

Dinny

Button Buck
The 3" Rem Accutips average only 1720 fps from my Savage 220. I was surprised to see the lower velocity so I shot 5 more with the same results.

Thanks, Dinny