Accuracy after barrel taken out of stock

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
What is your result of your accuracy if you zero your gun at say 100 yds at 2" high, and you take said gun out of the stock to clean it.....when you put it back in stock will it still be 2" high when you shoot it again? Had this come up with a guy other day and what you say.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
What is your result of your accuracy if you zero your gun at say 100 yds at 2" high, and you take said gun out of the stock to clean it.....when you put it back in stock will it still be 2" high when you shoot it again? Had this come up with a guy other day and what you say.
Well, short of any issues with pressure points, screw tightness causing some weird harmonics, or any of that business commonly associated with centerfire rifles, as long as the sights are attached to the barrel and not the stock, it should shoot to the condition it was before dismounted.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I have had big accuracy deviations with just having forearm screw not being tightened to the same torque on some rifles. Maybe if you mark the screw or put a torque wrench on it you could get close but after the problems I have experienced I would want to shoot it to be sure

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I have had big accuracy deviations with just having forearm screw not being tightened to the same torque on some rifles. Maybe if you mark the screw or put a torque wrench on it you could get close but after the problems I have experienced I would want to shoot it to be sure

At the end if the season ( Jan ) I break all of my hunting rifles down and clean them well.

After cleaning them I use a torque wrench to reinstall any screws.

Also , before hunting with any of them I spend some time checking scope zero.

It's never a bad thing to just be sure AND confident your equipment is ready.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
had a mossberg 12 ga that had 2 barrels. one with cantilever mounted scope for deer. did not changed when switched.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Being a muzzle loader the barrel should be more rigid than some pencil barreled centerfire, synthetic stock will be a little more forgiving than wood so that may help. Still a big maybe though. Being set up 2 inches high suggests they are counting on longer ranges accuracy and at 200 yards it's a big maybe

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As others have said, it SHOULDN’T really change… BUT anytime I take ANY rifle, centerfire, rimfire or muzzleloader out of the stock, I check my zero.

It always pays to err on the side of caution when it comes to things like this. Personally, I’d rather be 100% sure than “pretty sure”….

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
As others have said, it SHOULDN’T really change… BUT anytime I take ANY rifle, centerfire, rimfire or muzzleloader out of the stock, I check my zero.

It always pays to err on the side of caution when it comes to things like this. Personally, I’d rather be 100% sure than “pretty sure”….
This X infinity.