Accura MR ?

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I have used the older style bolt action MZL and had an Encore in rifle calibers as well as shot an Encore in MZL. I am not a huge fan of the sensitivity the Encore has in the forearm to pressure though I haven't played with a MZL setup enough to know if it is as bad. I even had a Bullberry Custom built of the Encore and it shot better but those tiny forearm screws and TC ( Now S and W ) CS left a lot to be desired on the Encore and on a limited edition Icon I had. I am looking at the Accura MR and thinking it looks nice. I have read reports the trigger is in the 1.5-2 lb range and not the advertised 3 lbs. I like a light trigger as long as it is safe. My Bullberry Encore was crazy light in the ounces and never a lick of trouble. I also want something light enough my son can shoot it. It seems like the Accura MR fits the bill for what I want but never having owned a CVA I am not sure. What do you guys think of them?

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I also like the XTP bullets in a sabot for the hunting I do and I read somewhere CVA has a looser bore than TC but that saboted your ok.

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
I have a V1 Accura w/ thumb hole stock. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but would estimate the pull being around 2# and fairly crisp with little over travel. The bore is slightly looser than the TCs that I have seen, but nothing like a White. A .452 bullet with a HPH-24 (or equivalent) should be close to perfect, and if not, a HPH-12 would work. I have never tried XTPs, but it shoots T-EZs with factory sabot well and .452 300gr Deep Curls do ok with HPH-24 sabot. My current load is an all lead slug in HPH-24 sabot using 90 gr BH209 (modified the breech plug for BH use). Accurate load with the first clean bore shot not being out of the group.

CVA's manual doesn't recommend conicals over 400gr and saboted loads over 300gr unless they have changed. That shouldn't be a concern if you are planning on XTPs. One of the built-in sling swivels broke early on and CVA made it right with no hassle. I like mine well enough but would consider a Knight Ultra-light if they weren't so expensive. The nitrided MR looks pretty sweet.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have 2 of the apex rifles from CVA and the triggers are great. The accura MR is basically the same gun without the ability to change barrels. I went the apex 45-70 smokless conversion route with mine and am shooting sabotless with extreme accuracy. I can shoot bp subs out of it too if I ever go to a state that doesn't allow smokeless

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

cwcook68

Eight Pointer
Last year I purchased a CVA Acurra V2 in 45 cal. and its a shooter, ammo is a little more difficult to find but Carlos at Eds gun shop keeps plenty on hand.I shoot 90 gr.of BH loose powder. Its light weight and shoulders great.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I also agree that 45 Cal is the way to go. I've got one of my apex's set up with the 45 cal barrel for my wife and shoot 110 grains of Blackhorn and the 195 Gr Barnes MZ with smooth blue harvester sabot. I killed a doe last year at 210 yards. She went about 25 steps with a Ray Charles blood trail.