ACC Football

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
@oldest school your theory on NC recruiting is officially dead. Mack brown is on fire.
well let's review that theory.
No NC college has EVER consistently fisinshed ranked in top twenty year after year. Never EVER. Our colleges suck at football historically.
Reason the weak talent pool of NC high schools is so small and diluted by the huge number of in state schools and sec raiders (real football schools) that they never will compete. At the time i first mentioned this the entire state was producing 62 D1 players annually. The only reason that has improved is that we have more "programs" to offer scholarships.
Get back with me when you think a NC school disproves my theory.
And I hope it's all of them for the next decade but it aint happening.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
@oldest school your theory on NC recruiting is officially dead. Mack brown is on fire.
Getting 1 top 5 recruit does not make you ā€œeliteā€ or ā€œon fireā€ā€¦..winning 10-12 games a year does along with not losing to ecu, wfu and app st and a mile long list of other things. When we do that you can say ā€œheā€™s on fireā€

Last edited:

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Getting 1 top 5 recruit does not make you ā€œeliteā€ or ā€œon fire"
Disagree. Elite is a status, "on fire" is a trend. Only about 5% of D1 programs have landed one or more the top 5 players in the nation, year and year out for the last decade. UNC now being one of those, along with having a top 10 recruit average in the country, is the definition of being on fire in recruiting.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Disagree. Elite is a status, "on fire" is a trend. Only about 5% of D1 programs have landed one or more the top 5 players in the nation, year and year out for the last decade. UNC now being one of those, along with having a top 10 recruit average in the country, is the definition of being on fire in recruiting.

Which ranking service are you looking at? According to 247 Sports and Rivals, UNC has not finished in the top 10 rankings back to 2016. I looked at 2016-2022 rankings. If you are stating UNC does have a top 10 recruiting average, you should be able to post a link and not just say trust me.

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/
https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2022/all-teams/football

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Which ranking service are you looking at? According to 247 Sports and Rivals, UNC has not finished in the top 10 rankings back to 2016. I looked at 2016-2022 rankings. If you are stating UNC does have a top 10 recruiting average, you should be able to post a link and not just say trust me.

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/
https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2022/all-teams/football

I am not saying "trust me". I said "recruit average", not the overall class ranking. Reading helps.

I use 247 because it is the class of the market but solely looking at rankings does not give the context of what you are seeing. The rankings are based on an overall accumulation of the individual recruit scores, so it's skewed on many occasions to the schools that sign the most players. For example, a team signs 15 three-star players, can theoretically be ranked higher than the team that signed 7 five-star players. UNC hasn't had much attrition since Mack came on board therefore the classes have been relatively small. What you need to look at the is the individual quality of the players they are signing and you can see that under the "average" tab. UNC would be ranked 9th currently with regard to average recruit ranking. Last year they would have been 10th. Despite not being able to sign a bunch of players, Mack is able to build depth with quality talent, not fillers.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I am not saying "trust me". I said "recruit average", not the overall class ranking. Reading helps.

I use 247 because it is the class of the market but solely looking at rankings does not give the context of what you are seeing. The rankings are based on an overall accumulation of the individual recruit scores, so it's skewed on many occasions to the schools that sign the most players. For example, a team signs 15 three-star players, will likely be ranked higher than the team that signed 7 five-star players. UNC hasn't had much attrition since Mack came on board therefore the classes have been relatively small. What you need to look at the is the individual quality of the players they are signing and you can see that under the "average" tab. UNC would be ranked 9th currently with regard to average recruit ranking. Last year they would have been 10th. Despite not being able to sign a bunch of players, Mack is able to build depth with quality talent, not fillers.

Excuse me. My reading ability is very good. Rivals doesn't provide recruit average. 247 Sports does provide the ability to sort by recruit average. I look at both overall ranking and recruit average. When I looked this morning, I thought the list could be sorted by average. Since an update has occurred since then, that function is definitely not there.

Eyeballing the list, UNC is #10 in 2021 and 2022. Since 2022 is still a work in progress, let's wait for the final rankings. Ohio State recently dropped when a 5-star CB decommitted. As for UNC having landing at least one top 5 player in every year of the last decade, that is not true. Now if you mean by decade, you mean 202x, then sure since there are only two years so far. If you mean looking back 10 years, name the one in the class of 2017.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Excuse me. My reading ability is very good. Rivals doesn't provide recruit average. 247 Sports does provide the ability to sort by recruit average. I look at both overall ranking and recruit average. When I looked this morning, I thought the list could be sorted by average. Since an update has occurred since then, that function is definitely not there.
I quit using Rivals years ago, not because they weren't favorable to UNC (they were usually very comparable) but because their evaluations and rankings updates usually followed that of 247. They even copied 247's Crystal Ball method. 247 has been the standard of evaluations, recruiting insights and predictions for quite a few years.

My apologies if I came across as a smart-a**, I haven't been over to Rivals.com in years.

Shannon Terry broke away from 247sports this year and created On3Sports which has been billed as the next generation in recruiting platforms. Rivals and Scout were definitely the original. Scout is no more. I feel Rivals is falling further and further behind as the years go on.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Recruiting don't mean jack without big wins and they might get them only time will tell but till then questions remain
well recruiting brings hope. Remember how one local coach came into town and declared they were going to own the state of NC when it came to recruiting? In fact isnt that the slogan of every new hire?
It's a nice slogan. Worth millions to a coach that can sell it. You dont have to really win in NC because no one nobody expects it.
We cherish the flash years for the programs when they seem ready to be significant - then they all fade away.
ecu
even duke
unc
ncsu
asu
wfu

in the end all they can do is beat each other. and claim a state championship..

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
well recruiting brings hope. Remember how one local coach came into town and declared they were going to own the state of NC when it came to recruiting? In fact isnt that the slogan of every new hire?
It's a nice slogan. Worth millions to a coach that can sell it. You dont have to really win in NC because no one nobody expects it.
We cherish the flash years for the programs when they seem ready to be significant - then they all fade away.
ecu
even duke
unc
ncsu
asu
wfu

in the end all they can do is beat each other. and claim a state championship..
I'm just the prove it type I don't care at all for preseason hype or recruitment hype seen it hundred times when after said and dinebteam still mediocre or touch above. When they beat Clemson I'll listen because no one else on their sched is more than mediocre this year. They have the chance most all the D returning heisman candidate QB time to prove it and easy sched.we'll know in 3 months

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I'm just the prove it type I don't care at all for preseason hype or recruitment hype seen it hundred times when after said and dinebteam still mediocre or touch above. When they beat Clemson I'll listen because no one else on their sched is more than mediocre this year. They have the chance most all the D returning heisman candidate QB time to prove it and easy sched.we'll know in 3 months
clemson isnt on their schedule. The odds of them playing are remote. Plenty of powerhosue teams in clemson's division. Or so we've been told. Time for clemson to stumble.
Pigs may fly before unc wins their division. Aint that right duck? :)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
clemson isnt on their schedule. The odds of them playing are remote. Plenty of powerhosue teams in clemson's division. Or so we've been told. Time for clemson to stumble.
If they got any plans on being a elite team Clemson will be on their schedule last game before playoffsšŸ˜ if they can't win their side of ACC then all this talk is moot. And they may very will win ACC to be honest I expect more craziness with covid this fall not anywhere near as bad but I could see an outbreak weakening Clemson to point where NC could win but it'd take something out of norm like that at least that's my guess. All I know is I'm ready for season to start and as long as Ohio st don't win I'm good with any one else

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
If they got any plans on being a elite team Clemson will be on their schedule last game before playoffsšŸ˜ if they can't win their side of ACC then all this talk is moot. And they may very will win ACC to be honest I expect more craziness with covid this fall not anywhere near as bad but I could see an outbreak weakening Clemson to point where NC could win but it'd take something out of norm like that at least that's my guess. All I know is I'm ready for season to start and as long as Ohio st don't win I'm good with any one else
i would add any big ten team to that list. But that is just my bias.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
You can say that again. Well pigs will fly before we win an acc championship. Pigs will fly before we have a 12 win season. Pigs will fly before every Carolina football fan stops saying ā€œyou just wait til next yearā€ after we get beat by wfu, ecu, app st or Duke šŸ˜‚ Letā€™s be realisticā€¦ā€¦pigs will likely never fly.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
It would take a physical act of God almighty.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
As I saidā€¦ā€¦physical act of God. This team absolutely sucks just like always. Regardless of outcome we are garbage per norm. Please go back into retirement Mack. We could spend a whole lot less on a coach and still suck just as bad. And that heisman qb looks just like he always does against a decent defenseā€¦..like crap. Although heā€™s not getting a lot of help. This game is going exactly like I thought it would.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
As I saidā€¦ā€¦physical act of God. This team absolutely sucks just like always. Regardless of outcome we are garbage per norm. Please go back into retirement Mack. We could spend a whole lot less on a coach and still suck just as bad. And that heisman qb looks just like he always does against a decent defenseā€¦..like crap. Although heā€™s not getting a lot of help. This game is going exactly like I thought it would.
Right on cue a 37 yard TD. Relax DM...UNC ain't gonna lose this one.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Right on cue a 37 yard TD. Relax DM...UNC ain't gonna lose this one.

As I said regardless of outcomeā€¦..this team is garbage. If this team was really a top 10 team or top 25 team for that matter this would be a steam roll. But itā€™s not, itā€™s like every other game that we lose against teams that should handle. We get behind by 14-21 points and before you know itā€™s the end of the 3rd quarter and we finally get a little something going and we do just enough not to win. I can only imagine what way they will invent to lose this game. I canā€™t wait to find out. I canā€™t wait to hear all the unc fans say ā€œjust wait til next yearā€

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
As I said regardless of outcomeā€¦..this team is garbage. If this team was really a top 10 team or top 25 team for that matter this would be a steam roll. But itā€™s not, itā€™s like every other game that we lose against teams that should handle. We get behind by 14-21 points and before you know itā€™s the end of the 3rd quarter and we finally get a little something going and we do just enough not to win. I can only imagine what way they will invent to lose this game. I canā€™t wait to find out. I canā€™t wait to hear all the unc fans say ā€œjust wait til next yearā€
Have you broken out the bourbon? I find that always helps when watching my team play.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Howell does seem to be outplayed by the VT QB...Burmeister I think? At least stats wise.