ACC Football

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
You're kind of making my point.

Not at all, there are so many other factors that are at play here, the biggest being that it wasn't Mack Brown that promised them anything as recruits. They weren't his recruits. He offered them a clean slate, he knew none of them and he sorted out what was needed to correct the course and he did. I can promise you that building a winner and getting the kids to the NFL will overshadow whatever negative you're trying point out with Fedora's recruits transferring out of the program.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Alt - I'm an Auburn alum and know a bit about the football program. You're correct about the loss of talent on the lines and secondary. However, let me make a couple points:

Auburn had the #7 recruiting class last year. Ohio State, #5,LSU #4, Clemson #3. I'd say Auburn is recruiting just like Ohio State, LSU and Clemson. It’s actually Georgia who has recruited better than anyone the last few years. Meanwhile, Auburn has beaten Alabama in 2 of the last 3 Iron Bowls. We don't care how they recruit...

When you say stuff like this, you know there must be a reason. His name is Tank Bigsby, and he’s going to tote the rock from day 1. Whitlow is transferring because he knows this, and honestly should be a #2 RB on a Power 5 team.

That said, I would not be surprised to see UNC win if the game is actually played this Fall. My wife is a CH grad, and wants revenge from Auburn’s Sweet 16 win over the Heels last Spring ;)

Well this is a welcome addition to the sports forum.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns

You're reaching right now! :ROFLMAO:

I didn't discredit anything Auburn was doing, I called it exactly as it happened. They're an average 8.8 win team under Malzahn who ended last year with a loss to Minnesota and lost 12 starters heading into this year yet I'm being told that UNC stands NO CHANCE because they are Auburn. Losing perspective doesn't mean I'm reaching when I reel it back in. Just like the post you referenced where we're being convinced that what Mack did last year shouldn't be commended. It's all about context.

My quote you referenced was in response to DBC who couldn't understand that we weren't saying 7 wins was a great year but rather a good start to correcting a very wrong ship. Do you disagree with anything I have said in this post?

Last edited:

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
8.8 wins per year in the SEC west ain't too shabby - every win is precious...

Very true which makes Bama's appearance in 5 of the 6 playoffs that much more incredible. Like I said, I wasn't trying to knock Auburn. Far from it actually. I was simply placing into perspective that Auburn has not been on that level and that there is nothing that should give UNC pause heading into that game. Yes they're "Auburn" but so was "Clemson" last year and I for one think this UNC team will be much more improved with it being the 2nd year in the system.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Not at all, there are so many other factors that are at play here, the biggest being that it wasn't Mack Brown that promised them anything as recruits. They weren't his recruits. He offered them a clean slate, he knew none of them and he sorted out what was needed to correct the course and he did. I can promise you that building a winner and getting the kids to the NFL will overshadow whatever negative you're trying point out with Fedora's recruits transferring out of the program.

I didn't say that he did. I was only responding to the person who said UNC can bring players to play right away instead of teams like Clemson where they have to wait until their junior or senior year. This ignores the fact that even teams like Clemson have freshman starter. Truly great players have the mentality that they will start right away no matter where they play. If UNC is recruiting someone away from Clemson because that player thinks he'll sit until his junior season at Clemson, that player doesn't think he is an exceptional player and might not have the attitude to rise to greatness.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Very true which makes Bama's appearance in 5 of the 6 playoffs that much more incredible. Like I said, I wasn't trying to knock Auburn. Far from it actually. I was simply placing into perspective that Auburn has not been on that level and that there is nothing that should give UNC pause heading into that game. Yes they're "Auburn" but so was "Clemson" last year and I for one think this UNC team will be much more improved with it being the 2nd year in the system.
Fair enough. The Heels had Clemson beaten last year. If they learn how to win, they will be good for several years. The talent will certainly be there, but closing-the-deal is a learned skill that some talented teams never quite get.

Every year teams like South Carolina and Ole Miss have talent all over the field, and yet...

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fair enough. The Heels had Clemson beaten last year. If they learn how to win, they will be good for several years. The talent will certainly be there, but closing-the-deal is a learned skill that some talented teams never quite get.

Every year teams like South Carolina and Ole Miss have talent all over the field, and yet...

It’s why UNC botched the 2PC and NCSU kicker shanked a chip shot to beat Clemson. They don’t expect to be in that situation and praying they hold on. You’ve got to win those games and create that culture.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
You're looking at the wrong part of the post. You said "I'm moving on to another topic." You're still posting in this thread.

I never said another thread, I said another topic (i.e. moving on from the one about whether or not the 2019 UNC season should be celebrated). This is the catch all ACC football thread, I wasn't leaving it. Lol.

Last edited:

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
It’s why UNC botched the 2PC and NCSU kicker shanked a chip shot to beat Clemson. They don’t expect to be in that situation and praying they hold on. You’ve got to win those games and create that culture.

To be fair, those are 2 completely different scenarios. That kick was a chip shot, something that you practice 1,000x a week, hell it's the only reason a kicker is on scholarship. It was 20x easier that completing a 2pt conversion against one of the nation's best defenses.

UNC shouldn't have even been in a position to win that game on a 2pt conversion anyways. It shouldn't have even been close. Mack knew that and that's the reason he went for 2 in the first place. He knew he would have to play to win at some point and what better time to do it than from 3 yard line versus getting it at the 25 to start OT. The fact that they were even in that game showed a changing tide in culture.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Alt - I'm an Auburn alum and know a bit about the football program. You're correct about the loss of talent on the lines and secondary. However, let me make a couple points:

Auburn had the #7 recruiting class last year. Ohio State, #5,LSU #4, Clemson #3. I'd say Auburn is recruiting just like Ohio State, LSU and Clemson. It’s actually Georgia who has recruited better than anyone the last few years. Meanwhile, Auburn has beaten Alabama in 2 of the last 3 Iron Bowls. We don't care how they recruit...

When you say stuff like this, you know there must be a reason. His name is Tank Bigsby, and he’s going to tote the rock from day 1. Whitlow is transferring because he knows this, and honestly should be a #2 RB on a Power 5 team.

That said, I would not be surprised to see UNC win if the game is actually played this Fall. My wife is a CH grad, and wants revenge from Auburn’s Sweet 16 win over the Heels last Spring ;)
pigs fly way before unc beats auburn. UNLESS sam pulls a miracle.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
To be fair, those are 2 completely different scenarios. That kick was a chip shot, something that you practice 1,000x a week, hell it's the only reason a kicker is on scholarship. It was 20x easier that completing a 2pt conversion against one of the nation's best defenses.

UNC shouldn't have even been in a position to win that game on a 2pt conversion anyways. It shouldn't have even been close. Mack knew that and that's the reason he went for 2 in the first place. He knew he would have to play to win at some point and what better time to do it than from 3 yard line versus getting it at the 25 to start OT. The fact that they were even in that game showed a changing tide in culture.
and i'm telling you all- it took a stellar defensive play to cause sam to pull the ball. Clemson cat made an amazing fake inside and sam bit. Otherwise..... :greenjump:

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Saving that, too.

Does that include the Lay’s Potato Chip bowl win over VMI?

Who they beat in a bowl is irrelevant. Any bowl outside of the playoff is irrelevant and if by some chance they go undefeated on the season, the only possibility of a playoff spot would be beating a top 5 team in the ACC tourney.

Either way, they’re a 9 win team IMO. I think they’ll win one they shouldn’t and lose two they shouldn’t.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Yall see where Eddie Smith(unc grad) donated 10 million to unc ch football? Buddies with Mack Brown.... Looks like they are going to rename Kenyan Stadium to Chris Smith Stadium? IMO that is a positive. Nothing bad to say about the Smith Family. Good people.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Yall see where Eddie Smith(unc grad) donated 10 million to unc ch football? Buddies with Mack Brown.... Looks like they are going to rename Kenyan Stadium to Chris Smith Stadium? IMO that is a positive. Nothing bad to say about the Smith Family. Good people.

Heard it was $25mil and it was for the naming of the field, stadium name will stay Kenan. Very generous family.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Heard it was $25mil and it was for the naming of the field, stadium name will stay Kenan. Very generous family.

I heard $25mil but the article I read said 10. Missed opportunity to rename the stadium IMO. Lots of controversial namesakes on that campus.