ACC Football

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Acc bowl games look interesting.
How many ACC teams do you think win their bowls?- I'll go with three. And hope I am wrong.
After the basketball beatdown so far this season I have lost confidence in acc teams in any sport.
I got no faith in Wake its why I said while back they'd lose 3 of last 4 their sched helped them look better than are I think. I think Howell is playing so I give UNC and state good chance. I think BC wins I hope they all win but .500 if think would be realistic

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Hey who don't like Dukes mayo petfect game for couple mediocre southern teams
The ones laughing about the Mayo bowl are the organizers
Probably the most seats they could sell for that bowl. I went to one though when unc played WV. Now that was a trip.

It was like Loyd said about the Santa Fe rodeo on Yellowstone

“If you even thought about a fight you could get one. “.
I saw one at the gate going in ; one in my row at the game and one on the bus back home.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm usually not a fan of players sitting out of bowl games, but.......

If you had ANY realistic hope of playing on the next level, why in the world would you suit up for a Duke's Mayonnaise bowl between two 6-6 teams?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I'm usually not a fan of players sitting out of bowl games, but.......

If you had ANY realistic hope of playing on the next level, why in the world would you suit up for a Duke's Mayonnaise bowl between two 6-6 teams?

If a player is a possible late round draft pick and doesn't have an overinflated view of one's abilities, then it gives the player another chance to show off their skills.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If a player is a possible late round draft pick and doesn't have an overinflated view of one's abilities, then it gives the player another chance to show off their skills.
So, the scouts haven't been able to see what they need to see in his previous 48-50 games......and he hasn't been able to show them what he can do in that span?

I suppose that's plausible for about 1 in ?????? players. Who do you reckon that describes on either (UNC or So. Carolina) roster? I'm not discounting your premise, and I'm usually against the sit-outs. In this instance, though, I'm surprisingly not (against the practice). This bowl means nothing. The only "prize" for either is UNC would get to say they beat an SEC team, if they win.

Wooooo.

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
So, the scouts haven't been able to see what they need to see in his previous 48-50 games......and he hasn't been able to show them what he can do in that span?

I suppose that's plausible for about 1 in ?????? players. Who do you reckon that describes on either (UNC or So. Carolina) roster? I'm not discounting your premise, and I'm usually against the sit-outs. In this instance, though, I'm surprisingly not (against the practice). This bowl means nothing. The only "prize" for either is UNC would get to say they beat an SEC team, if they win.

Wooooo.

Well, if a player is a marginal draft pick and decides to sit out, it may tell the scouts that this is a player that isn't willing to put in the extra effort. Also someone who isn't a team player. Scouts do look beyond just the athletic skill.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
yeah it's just a travesty that a player would stay loyal and make a personal sacrifice for the good of the team.
Sad that we dont expect it anymore.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
yeah it's just a travesty that a player would stay loyal and make a personal sacrifice for the good of the team.
Life doesn’t work that way. Business doesn’t work that way. Why should we expect football or any other sport to be any different?

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd feel differently, if they were 9-3 even......or, if the game meant ANYTHING.

They're not....and, it doesn't.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'd feel differently, if they were 9-3 even......or, if the game meant ANYTHING.

See your point, but of course if 9-3 they would be playing in a better bowl. I think UNC has a lot to lose in this game, certainly much more than USC does. Heels started with very high expectations, Cocks with very low. USC can loose and still have a better than expected season, not so with UNC, that option is no longer on the table. If UNC loses it will produce the unexpected losing record, and grumbling about Mack will intensify. So for UNC (Mack that is) I think this game is VERY important.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
See your point, but of course if 9-3 they would be playing in a better bowl. I think UNC has a lot to lose in this game, certainly much more than USC does. Heels started with very high expectations, Cocks with very low. USC can loose and still have a better than expected season, not so with UNC, that option is no longer on the table. If UNC loses it will produce the unexpected losing record, and grumbling about Mack will intensify. So for UNC (Mack that is) I think this game is VERY important.
The only thing the UNC players and fans care about.....is the chance to brag about beating an SEC team.

Woooo.

They started the season ranked in the top 10, and fell to their current position. But, a win against an SEC school would have them "back".

You know I'm right ;)

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Life doesn’t work that way. Business doesn’t work that way. Why should we expect football or any other sport to be any different?
i dont think life works like that. Life is full of individual sacrifice for other's benefit. Family, Church, Charity, Military , even work.
Team sports being a prime example of individual glory not being foremost. imo. YMMV.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

from what i read and see it means a whole lot more to USC- this is their first bowl in several years. They and their fans seem very happy to be in and to win a bowl, any bowl; after being on the outside for so many years.
No mayo bowl win salvages this disappointing year for unc.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
which bowl games mean anything past the playoffs? I am asking not arguing.
Well, any of the prestigious bowls means you’re playing for a top 10-20 spot. That’s worth risking your future over (IMO).
But risk your future…..just to be 7-6?

I never thought I’d say it…..but no.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
The only thing that could make Carolinas season better is if Mack either A. Got fired B. Retired or C. Ended up in the obituary……winning the dukes toilet bowl would just cap off another underachieving season. But, I have a feeling that South Carolina is going to win….they we’re heading the right way in the second half of the season while unc started at the bottom and proceeded to go down.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The only thing that could make Carolinas season better is if Mack either A. Got fired B. Retired or C. Ended up in the obituary……winning the dukes toilet bowl would just cap off another underachieving season. But, I have a feeling that South Carolina is going to win….they we’re heading the right way in the second half of the season while unc started at the bottom and proceeded to go down.

dang. Thats a little rough

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
dang. Thats a little rough
It is rough, because it's just a "bit" inaccurate.

They started damn=near the top (I think they were ranked #9 in the country, at the beginning of the season).

The rest is accurate.

I didn't graduate from So. Carolina, but I went to school there. They have NOTHING to gain by playing in this game. I understand why they accepted the bid, but there's nothing to be gained. So....you finished 7-6?

whoop-D-doo

You beat an un-ranked team that will tout winning against an SEC opponent. Let's face it......EVERY team who plays an SEC opponent and wins, will brag about it as if they beat GA, AL or (most years) LSU & Auburn. "We're so-and-so against the SEC", you'll hear. They'll say that, and not mention the opponent. It's their Super Bowl. Always is.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
They have NOTHING to gain by playing in this game.
Actually, they have nothing to lose by playing. Even if they lose the game, their total season still exceeds initial expectations. It's UNC that can come out looking even worse than they do now, if they lose.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I'll go one step further. If you get a scholarship, and leave early for the pros, all that money you were given should be paid back off the top of your 1st contract.
dont forget that now the players can earn unlimited money off their name and likeness while they are still in school.,,,, money they wouldnt get without the college career- not that they should forfeit that but it's just another reward for their efforts.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Actually, they have nothing to lose by playing. Even if they lose the game, their total season still exceeds initial expectations. It's UNC that can come out looking even worse than they do now, if they lose.
they (usc) definitely have something to gain. probably some coach incentives plus at least being bowl eligible is an improvement. Without Spurrier USC has always been challenged in football. They should take post season wins whenever they can get them.
Unc and their fans know they blew this season- They had pitt and state beat and blew it- and beat wake, the three strongest teams this side of clemson this year.
Beating a sub par sec school wont change that.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
you gonna miss mack when he goes.
he had you a few plays from winning a lot of games. Just no luck for the heels this season.