ACC Football

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
First of all, I am both extremely critical of LOTS of things (most movies suck, etc) as well as being very pessimistic (not only is my glass half empty, I demand to know who drank the half that's gone!).
You should start thinking like an engineer. An optimist will tell you the glass is half-full; the pessimist, half-empty; and the engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
Its early...trust me I know its early...but what if, just what if, the old Demon Deacons win out? They have NC State and Clemson in back to back weekends in November, but if they can get by Louisville this weekend they have a good shot being undefeated going in to those games. UNC could always turn it around but their defense is hot garbage and I don't think people took in to account the loss of their best playmakers last year. Howell looks a lot different when he doesn't have those backs that are now playing on Sundays.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Its early...trust me I know its early...but what if, just what if, the old Demon Deacons win out? They have NC State and Clemson in back to back weekends in November, but if they can get by Louisville this weekend they have a good shot being undefeated going in to those games. UNC could always turn it around but their defense is hot garbage and I don't think people took in to account the loss of their best playmakers last year. Howell looks a lot different when he doesn't have those backs that are now playing on Sundays.
why not wake? in this year of upside down teams all across the nation this could be wake's year. I thought they looked outstanding against VA at VA.
they have lville and state at home. of course if they were to beat clemson in death valley it would be the end of the world so we better not get too excited. :)
Their kicker is amazing- he wont be the reason they fall out of a game. unlike the poor kid in raleigh.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
why not wake? in this year of upside down teams all across the nation this could be wake's year. I thought they looked outstanding against VA at VA.
they have lville and state at home. of course if they were to beat clemson in death valley it would be the end of the world so we better not get too excited. :)
Their kicker is amazing- he wont be the reason they fall out of a game. unlike the poor kid in raleigh.
Wake, Oregon, Penn St. and Georgia…now wouldn’t that be a nice change of scenery come CFP time?

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
Replace Georgia with Oklahoma or Iowa or Bama and I'm in.
I’m on the Anybody But Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio St. train…barring some kind of absolute shocker, we know an SEC team will be there and quite honestly, probably 2. IMO for Wake to get there they have to win out no doubt, and have each of the BIG conferences beat each other up a bit.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I’m on the Anybody But Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio St. train…barring some kind of absolute shocker, we know an SEC team will be there and quite honestly, probably 2. IMO for Wake to get there they have to win out no doubt, and have each of the BIG conferences beat each other up a bit.
Normally I would agree. But not Georgia. Never Georgia. Ever. ;)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
ACC just needs basketball to start more this year than ever. Y'all know Clemson is gonna win out now and win conf which ain't saying much but they'll still miss playoffs. 3 teams loved that Clemson loss Ohio st, cincy and Oregon. Oregon now has a game they can lose then they will get pounded by whatever SEC team they play. Cincy still gotta win out but they very well can. this is best year for team like them get in if they beat ND who has now earned some respect for being decent to my surprise. Long way to yet but Okl looks so bad no way I see them winning out. Gonna be fun rest year if Ga can get passing game to compliment best defense in country they could for sure win SEC but that might be lot ask out that offense against Bama that is if they beat Fla

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'd have better chance win million that Wake winning ACC but they are nice story to a young season but I believe reality will set in and they end up with 3 losses

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
They got the defense to win it all I'm just not a believer in their passing game I can seem Fla having chance knock them off

I think Florida is going to give them all they can stand. But if they beat Florida and make it to the sec championship game and get beat by alabama they will be in the cfp right along with alabama and they will play alabama for the national championship and I believe they will lose again.

Dear Lord no Okl this year I've watched them twice they are not playoff worthy I'd rather see Iowa or cincy

I am in the same boat. Oklahoma is absolute garbage. They can score but only against the big 12 teams, none of which have any defense. That conference is pitiful. There isn’t a single team that has any defense. Oklahoma would get beat by alabama or georgia by 28+ points.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I think Florida is going to give them all they can stand. But if they beat Florida and make it to the sec championship game and get beat by alabama they will be in the cfp right along with alabama and they will play alabama for the national championship and I believe they will lose again.

I am in the same boat. Oklahoma is absolute garbage. They can score but only against the big 12 teams, none of which have any defense. That conference is pitiful. There isn’t a single team that has any defense. Oklahoma would get beat by alabama or georgia by 28+ points.
In the 2 games I watched Okl offense was terrible no where near their usual had trouble scoring against West Va that QB isn't living up to his hype

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Since this is a thread of wishful thinking, my wishful thinking is that Penn St., Ohio St. and Notre Dame are nowhere in the final 4 mix. Other than that I will be OK.
Odds are you'll get that wish Ohio st is only real chance but they got lots holes and 1 more loss will sink them. I never ever trust Penn st to win out

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
At this rate I feel like if the ncaa could they would put bama Georgia and Florida in the cfp if Ohio st, oregon, Oklahoma and penn st finish with 1 loss 😂 especially as bad as everyone else is.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Florida is not that good. We will likely finish with 3 losses. Bama, Georgia, and one of LSU, Missouri or Kentucky. Yes, Missouri or Kentucky. Its what dumb Dan does. He Mullens games he should win.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Everyone is going over the season...but give the Pack a chance. They haven’t folded yet. The Mississippi state game.....they haven’t shown a ton of hope yet, but they might not be terrible. If they knock off one of their coming up games....that loss won’t look as bad.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
If Oregon wins out, they'll be paired against Alabama.
My team is out, Wake does have a chance to make it. They just gotta keep doing what they've been doing.
Florida is tough. Score alot of points.
Georgia is good but. Like said they have holes in their game right now.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I have not watched a "can't lose" team this season. I do think UGA and Bama are the 2 best. Seems to be a lot of parity this year. Not because everyone has gotten better but because everyone seems down to me. Maybe we are just spoiled having 2 great teams the last 2 years run the table. I think the team that can improve the most over the course of the year will win it all. Several fit this bill but my money is on Bama or UGA as I do feel they are the best now and have the most complete coaching staffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I don't see a path for Wake to even be close to the discussion for the playoffs. Who are they going to play the rest of the season that would make you think they are a top 4 team? They are 4-0 now and barely in the top 25....

The ACC is out this year unfortunately.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
I don't see a path for Wake to even be close to the discussion for the playoffs. Who are they going to play the rest of the season that would make you think they are a top 4 team? They are 4-0 now and barely in the top 25....

I understand your thought process and I don't think Wake running the table is a plausible scenario, but I would argue if they did, how can an undefeated ACC Team in Wake Forest not get in over a 1 loss Cincinnati, 1 loss Oregon, or 1-2 loss Big 12/10 team. Sure the cards have to fall perfectly, but a power 5 school running the table and not getting in... I just don't see the committee leaving them out

**And if they got an invite, they likely meet an Alabama or Georgia squad ready to go to pound town 🤪

We'll see what happens, exciting season so far

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

There is a path just no way its gonna happen if they went undefeated and other teams with loss they'd get in but again ain't gonna happen. lot teams have these good starts then come Nov reality of how hard it is to win and be consistent has set in. Hey but I'm all for them winning I like the team that comes outta no where

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I have not watched a "can't lose" team this season. I do think UGA and Bama are the 2 best. Seems to be a lot of parity this year. Not because everyone has gotten better but because everyone seems down to me. Maybe we are just spoiled having 2 great teams the last 2 years run the table. I think the team that can improve the most over the course of the year will win it all. Several fit this bill but my money is on Bama or UGA as I do feel they are the best now and have the most complete coaching staffs.
I saw stats on that yesterday/ most top 25 losses in first month than any time since 1936.
not too predictable this year.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

where is swofford when we need him? :) He could probably still get clemson in this year.

IF wake won out they would have beaten clemson in death valley, a ranked state team, ranked unc team.
An undefeated power 5 champion would be hard to leave out.
Surprisingly they are favored big over lville this week.
Go Deacs!