ACC Football

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
8 mins. to go and we still have a game.
That last called TD was overturned(rightfully so) then kicker missed FG and UNC is still in it.
Looks like this one is gonna go down to the wire.... Va Tech is fired up for this one !

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It appears I over estimated their chances. lol.... Sorry DM. You were right.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
This one did not age well 😂

Over rated as usual (not talking smack, just a fact)

Hey, if you were to look at it from an outside perspective at that point in the game then 9 out of 10 people would probably assume that unc would come back and win. But, I know this team and program better than anybody. This team is so predictable it isn’t even funny. They’re extremely overrated which I said all along. Their qb is the most overrated player in college football and has been since the beginning. This is an 8 win team just like they are every year. Their season is already over and it just began. I don’t want to hear any more from you hopeful unc fans. This team sucks…..end of discussion.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Well at least we put any undefeated or elite talk to bed in game one. They can rebound for a solid season sched is still easy which is best they can hope for most every year.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
UNC better be glad that the VT offense didnt get going in the 2nd half or it would have been a blood bath in Blacksburg.

The VT coaching was far superior to UNC and if they would have executed the plays according the calls the Tarheels would have left there highly embarrassed.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
UNC better be glad that the VT offense didnt get going in the 2nd half or it would have been a blood bath in Blacksburg.

The VT coaching was far superior to UNC and if they would have executed the plays according the calls the Tarheels would have left there highly embarrassed.

Agreed with this. It should have been much worse than what it was. We could have easily gotten beat by 17-21 points. But let’s be real. Va tech isn’t that good. They’ll go on to get beat by slippery rock university at some point in the coming weeks. It was the perfect storm. A pissed off fired up fan base on their own turf and a feisty defense kept a very overrated QB and offense completely off balance the whole game. I doubt va tech keeps this up consistently all season. But I could be wrong. Their QB did make some very high level passes.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
And I am looking forward to Clemson Georgia tonight. Georgia is just like unc. So much hype every year but they always lose to a team they should beat easily and they never beat the elite teams. I don’t expect that to change tonight. I hope Clemson rolls. Georgia is the second most overrated team in the country just about every year.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Agreed with this. It should have been much worse than what it was. We could have easily gotten beat by 17-21 points. But let’s be real. Va tech isn’t that good. They’ll go on to get beat by slippery rock university at some point in the coming weeks. It was the perfect storm. A pissed off fired up fan base on their own turf and a feisty defense kept a very overrated QB and offense completely off balance the whole game. I doubt va tech keeps this up consistently all season. But I could be wrong. Their QB did make some very high level passes.
I do believe your right Va tech is a program that has been on slide for while they are not that good I'd be shocked if they didn't have 3-4 losses at end year. In no fan of their coach at all he played that game scared at end if 1st half and part of 2nd half one thing that kept it close

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes,

Mack is on fire on the recruiting trail. UNC got pushed around in the first half, but solidified things in the 2nd half quite well. What I didn’t expect was the poor offensive line play and the terrible drops. Howell hit 8-10 folks right in the hands that didn’t result in catches. I agree, VT isn’t that good and UNC was heavily overrated if that’s the quality of play we can expect from their offensive line. The drops will settle out and the offense will open up once Howell gets his top 2 WRs back in action. None of that will matter if he has 1-2 seconds before someone is in the backfield.

This aged very well 😂😂 what did I tell you? And is Mack still “on fire”??

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
They better learn how to tackle with a D returning 9 or 10 they looked soft and pitiful tackling. I expected them to be better there

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
They better learn how to tackle with a D returning 9 or 10 they looked soft and pitiful tackling. I expected them to be better there

The problem with that is their defense was horrendous last year especially in the secondary. The secondary defense appeared to be no better last night than last year. I was hoping with some of those players that sat out due to covid actually playing this year it would make a difference but it didn’t last night. They can’t stop the big plays on 3rd down. It has been their Achilles heel since the 5th of forever.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Yes,

Mack is on fire on the recruiting trail. UNC got pushed around in the first half, but solidified things in the 2nd half quite well. What I didn’t expect was the poor offensive line play and the terrible drops. Howell hit 8-10 folks right in the hands that didn’t result in catches. I agree, VT isn’t that good and UNC was heavily overrated if that’s the quality of play we can expect from their offensive line. The drops will settle out and the offense will open up once Howell gets his top 2 WRs back in action. None of that will matter if he has 1-2 seconds before someone is in the backfield.

This aged very well 😂😂 what did I tell you? And is Mack still “on fire”??

Idk which game you were watching. Yes they were without a couple of receivers. Yes there were a couple dropped passes. But a couple dropped passes do not make up much for Howell going 17-32 with 3 ints. A couple dropped passes would not have changed the outcome of that game. Howell can’t throw under pressure and if he keeps running the ball he is going to have career ended by one of these de’s or a linebacker. The quality of most of his passes wasn’t that great. 2 of the 3 ints were completely on him and the other one was tipped which still could be blamed on him. Some of this a testament to play of the vatech defense. The smacked him in the mouth right out of the gate and never let up. He didn’t adapt and neither did Mack brown which is typical. If they had tried to make more short passes for smaller chunks of yards it would’ve opened up the run game and vice versa. But didn’t happen. But thankfully we go all these “top tier recruits” to go along with our 0-1 record. Just give me wins.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
The problem with that is their defense was horrendous last year especially in the secondary. The secondary defense appeared to be no better last night than last year. I was hoping with some of those players that sat out due to covid actually playing this year it would make a difference but it didn’t last night. They can’t stop the big plays on 3rd down. It has been their Achilles heel since the 5th of forever.
Reminds me of the old saying " good news is we got 10 returning" " bad news is we got 10 returning" experience doesn't always equate to good play lot seniors riding bench

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
wow- one game in and clemson and duke have their seasons ruined.
I sure hope FSU manages to take care of ND's season tonight.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
wow- one game in and clemson and duke have their seasons ruined.
I sure hope FSU manages to take care of ND's season tonight.
Clemson's season ain't ruined yet. All they gotta do is run the table and win their conference (which they probably will) and they're in the playoffs. Bama and UGA will weed one of the two out.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah Clemson ain't no where near done look at rest their schedule lot scrimmage games to improve till ACC champ game then who is really gonna compete with them? If a team had hit it right this might been year but they would have have better D than what I seen from Carolina tigers couldn't score against Ga SEC D but they are really good they'd hang 30 on UNC D and Clemson strength is D which from UNC O line wouldn't be hard to manhandle them. I gotta see it to believe it. After ACC well just have see if they can improve if not playoffs might not be pretty like their last one

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A first game loss rarely comes back to bite the big boys. If UGA were to win the SEC...it def wouldn’t hurt them.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Unless you are NC State....they could go undefeated and beat 10 top 10 teams and get snubbed lol. They get snubbed in the basketball tourney then COVIDed in the baseball.

I do believe they would have added a CWS championship to the trophy room too.