ACC Football

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The hilarious part, to me (and everyone in this forum who knows your M.O.....is....

....if we were discussing a 7-6 Duke team.....your attitude would be completely different.

I absolutely ADORE that you think 7-6 is acceptable. I couldn’t be more sincere in that.

Have a good one.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
For a team thats been preseason ranked in football for ~15 of the last 20 years.... Any 7 win season should SUCK.

But again, perception isn’t reality at OCCC.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
The hilarious part, to me (and everyone in this forum who knows your M.O.....is....

....if we were discussing a 7-6 Duke team.....your attitude would be completely different.

I absolutely ADORE that you think 7-6 is acceptable. I couldn’t be more sincere in that.

Have a good one.

Speaking of M.O.'s, we all remember how you guys were talking about an 11 win UNC team as well. But carry on with that speculation about how my attitude would be :ROFLMAO:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I had to google to find out who that was.
i figured. old stuff. which fits slingin sam. if your boy (tossing trevor) keeps regressing sam may be considered the best in the acc by year end.
if your DE hadnt have made a terrific play on sam last year and caused him to make a poor read he would have broke your hearts in CH last year. Just sayin. :)

Last edited:

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
i figured. old stuff. which fits slingin sam. if your boy (tossing trevor) keeps regressing sam may be considered the best in the acc by year end.
if your DE hadnt have made a terrific play on sam last year and caused him to make a poor read he would have broke your hearts in CH last year. Just sayin. :)

If a frog had wings, he’d be getting bird p%}#y.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Carolina won’t be a great team by national standards, but they likely never will be. It’s a basketball school, that won’t be changing. They are however significantly better than in the past and are recruiting very well. Sam is a better QB than they could ever hope to recruit and should have a solid run over the next two years.

UNC will be the best football team in the ACC not named Clemson in 2020, but by “great” team standards, that means absolutely nothing.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer

My comment wasn’t against UNC and yes they played a heck of a game last year. Just the nickname is lame. I don’t like UNC but I have a ton of respect for Mack.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Carolina won’t be a great team by national standards, but they likely never will be. It’s a basketball school, that won’t be changing. They are however significantly better than in the past and are recruiting very well. Sam is a better QB than they could ever hope to recruit and should have a solid run over the next two years.

UNC will be the best football team in the ACC not named Clemson in 2020.

Maybe the best in the Coastal.... But isn't that a stretch? Even for you? Typically the 2nd best ACC team is top 18 or better? Wouldn't that be a "banner" year?

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ll leave this here to debate if Sam is worthy of any “hype”.

Howell passed for 3,641 passing yards, threw 38 touchdowns and only seven interceptions as a freshman in 2019. His 38 passing touchdowns was a FBS true freshman record and the third-most passing touchdowns thrown by an ACC player in a single season. Only Clemson’s Deshaun Watson in 2016 and Florida State’s Jameis Winston in 2013 threw more.

Howell threw at least two touchdowns in every game last season and was voted ACC offensive rookie and ACC Rookie of the Year.

Along with Howell, the Tar Heels will return their top four receivers from last year’s team that finished 7-6, including Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome, who both finished with more than 1,000 yards receiving and 10 touchdowns.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Sure it would be a banner year, but the ACC is garbage, so yes I believe UNC will be the 2nd best team in the ACC.
Based on what Butch was about to accomplish, before the lid got blown off, makes me believe Mack will have similar and even greater success since he knows the formula. I think second best in entire ACC is a stretch, but 2021 and 2022 could be that good, assuming the "wheels" stay on. :)

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
thank you for that blinding glimpse of the obvious.
ole sam got your boys last year too didnt he? USC?
dang he could have took care of the whole state of lower carolina.

Yes. The team that Sam plays for.....beat one of my alma maters.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ll leave this here to debate if Sam is worthy of any “hype”.

Howell passed for 3,641 passing yards, threw 38 touchdowns and only seven interceptions as a freshman in 2019. His 38 passing touchdowns was a FBS true freshman record and the third-most passing touchdowns thrown by an ACC player in a single season. Only Clemson’s Deshaun Watson in 2016 and Florida State’s Jameis Winston in 2013 threw more.

Howell threw at least two touchdowns in every game last season and was voted ACC offensive rookie and ACC Rookie of the Year.

Along with Howell, the Tar Heels will return their top four receivers from last year’s team that finished 7-6, including Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome, who both finished with more than 1,000 yards receiving and 10 touchdowns.

If 7-6 is something to be proud of, then I hope they reach their goal, again.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Compared to the year before? Absolutely. The discussion wasn’t whether 7-6 is something to be proud of or how good the entire UNC team is, it was about the hype around Sam. His individual numbers are stronger than any ACC freshman QB ever, while being surrounded by significantly inferior players when compared to the “great” teams. We will see how he progresses over time, but plenty to be excited about regarding his numbers.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Compared to the year before? Absolutely. The discussion wasn’t whether 7-6 is something to be proud of or how good the entire UNC team is, it was about the hype around Sam. His individual numbers are stronger than any ACC freshman QB ever, while being surrounded by significantly inferior players when compared to the “great” teams. We will see how he progresses over time, but plenty to be excited about regarding his numbers.

Don't waste your breath.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
In the coastal, it’s harder to get 6 or fewer wins than it is to get 7 or more wins.

Is that why the Atlantic is only 38-34 against the Coastal in the last 4 years (including Clemson's 5 ACC championship wins in that time)? Wouldn't that mean the Atlantic has a losing record versus the Coastal during the regular season in the last 5 years?

Don't confuse being top heavy, with being a good division. The Atlantic outside of Clemson has been relatively pathetic as well.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Is that why the Atlantic is only 38-34 against the Coastal in the last 4 years (including Clemson's 5 ACC championship wins in that time)? Wouldn't that mean the Atlantic has a losing record versus the Coastal during the regular season in the last 5 years?

Don't confuse being top heavy, with being a good division. The Atlantic outside of Clemson has been relatively pathetic as well.

With the recent collapse of the FSU program, the ACC has been terrible top to bottom. ND is always over ranked and can never seem to win a game that matters. Clemson is and will be king for the foreseeable future.....but after that it’s just a melting pot of bad.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
With the recent collapse of the FSU program, the ACC has been terrible top to bottom. ND is always over ranked and can never seem to win a game that matters. Clemson is and will be king for the foreseeable future.....but after that it’s just a melting pot of bad.
now wait you just told me in the original post how unc was gonna test my theory.
To test my theory they gonna have to be better than a melting pot of bad. With all those 4 stars they better be winning. :)

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Common ground

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
now wait you just told me in the original post how unc was gonna test my theory.
To test my theory they gonna have to be better than a melting pot of bad. With all those 4 stars they better be winning. :)

I would agree, which is also why I feel they’ll be the 2nd best team in the ACC and better than the melting pot.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer

this isn’t about the Atlantic

the ACC only has 1 football team

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns

I had to read that twice to believe it.....(y)

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had to read that twice to believe it.....(y)

Why? I’ve never had rose colored glasses for UNC or NCSU. They’re both bad at football, but only one of those fan bases is ok with it. UNC & Duke can fall back on being a blue blood and an elite basketball program, from time to time they’ll have their moments in other sports, but ultimately they’re a stepping stone job in football. The Mack Brown and David Cuttcliff situations are unique. Those are both solid coaches with good recruiting connections that aren’t looking to build careers. UNC is going to be as good as they’ll ever have potential to be under Mack Brown until he retires. NCSU doesn’t have that luxury, they’re mediocre across the board when it comes to a top tier program who regularly contends for championships in the major sports. They’re an upper tier stepping stone job in football or basketball, same will go for ECU.

Clemson is rock solid for the future, FSU and Miami will be back by reputation and recruiting alone, those are destinations jobs. ND will always be one step away, they’re like a less desirable Georgia.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Why? I’ve never had rose colored glasses for UNC or NCSU. They’re both bad at football, but only one of those fan bases is ok with it. UNC & Duke can fall back on being a blue blood and an elite basketball program, from time to time they’ll have their moments in other sports, but ultimately they’re a stepping stone job in football. The Mack Brown and David Cuttcliff situations are unique. Those are both solid coaches with good recruiting connections that aren’t looking to build careers. UNC is going to be as good as they’ll ever have potential to be under Mack Brown until he retires. NCSU doesn’t have that luxury, they’re mediocre across the board when it comes to a top tier program who regularly contends for championships in the major sports. They’re an upper tier stepping stone job in football or basketball, same will go for ECU.

Clemson is rock solid for the future, FSU and Miami will be back by reputation and recruiting alone, those are destinations jobs. ND will always be one step away, they’re like a less desirable Georgia.

Pretty spot on.