ACC football

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
No...no...no

Dre Bly? He's never coached.
Tim Brewster? Another retread that previously coached at unc 20 years ago.
Tim Cross? Ummm....
Tommy Thigpen. Lol
Dre Bly? College HOF, All American, Pro Bowler, All Pro, Super Bowl Champion. He's forgotten more about playing corner than an NCST coach will ever know. LOL. Oh and let's not forget his footprint in Charlotte recruiting scene.

Tim Brewster? Retread? LMAO! He's STILL one of the most proven recruiters in football. Fail.

Tim Cross? Coached on multiple top 25 rush defenses, anchored by the DL and has developed multiple all conference D-lineman. Fail.

Thigpen? Lol is all you have? Figures. ELITE. RECRUITER.

I do find all of this humorous though. Rumors of Drinkwitz and Ledoford leaving, Pratt and Harmon, sitting out, and all you can think to talk about is UNC coaches. LMAO!

Living rent free.

Dre Bly? College HOF, All American, Pro Bowler, All Pro, Super Bowl Champion. He's forgotten more about playing corner than an NCST coach will ever know. LOL. Oh and let's not forget his footprint in Charlotte recruiting scene.
"NFL potential isn't a prerequisite for future coaches. It's just the opposite. Only one current coach had a substantial NFL career; that dude wears khakis now. Most coaches weren't elite players. Steve Spurrier's resignation at South Carolina removed the lone Heisman Trophy winner from the coaching rankings."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ng-fbs-college-football-coaches-players-1-129

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
"NFL potential isn't a prerequisite for future coaches. It's just the opposite. Only one current coach had a substantial NFL career; that dude wears khakis now. Most coaches weren't elite players. Steve Spurrier's resignation at South Carolina removed the lone Heisman Trophy winner from the coaching rankings."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ng-fbs-college-football-coaches-players-1-129
I've seen this argument many times before and one consensus is the reason you don't see many great NFL guys in the coaching ranks is not because they don't make good coaches, but simply because they don't want to get into collegiate coaching after the workload of an NFL career. An analyst, pro-football coach or something similar is much more suitable.

I think a more honest assessment would be to look at how many NFL guys (5+ years) have even attempted to get into collegiate coaching, rather than assuming they simply don't make good coaches.

That's what makes the Bly hire even more special. Even with his career, his accolades, earnings and such, he wanted to be at UNC. He wants to coach raw players. He wants to recruit. How lucky for UNC fans.

Last edited:
I've seen this argument many times before and one consensus is the reason you don't see many great NFL guys in the coaching ranks is not because they don't make good coaches, but simply because they don't want to get into collegiate coaching after the workload of an NFL career. An analyst, pro-football coach or something similar is much more suitable.

I think a more honest assessment would be to look at how many NFL guys (5+ years) have even attempted to get into collegiate coaching, rather than assuming they simply don't make good coaches.

That's what makes the Bly hire even more special. Even with his career, his accolades, earnings and such, he wanted to be at UNC. He wants to coach raw players. He wants to recruit. How lucky for UNC fans.

The argument I've heard for multiple sports is that the average player has to study the game harder to get onto the field. The extra work put in to get a chance to play benefits them when they become coaches.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Homebrewale, I can't find it right now but there was an article a few years ago that discussed why football had so many fewer NFL players as coaches than the MLB, NBA and NHL. I think it referenced at the time that only 15% of NFL head coaches had NFL careers as opposed to 85% of MLB managers. The premise of the article wasn't that former NFL players didn't make great coaches, that obviously doesn't align with every other professional sport, but that simply former players DID NOT attempt to get into coaching. One theory is that better salaries and better money management, better bargaining agreements had allowed players more freedom post NFL. However, that theory did not align with other professional sports. Another theory was that the game of football was so physically demanding and tolling that most of players distanced themselves from the sport altogether after retirement. That was an interesting angle.

No matter which way you put it however, the truth is simply that the overwhelming majority of NFL player chose not to get into coaching for whatever reason.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
The argument I've heard for multiple sports is that the average player has to study the game harder to get onto the field. The extra work put in to get a chance to play benefits them when they become coaches.
You could also turn that around and argue that the best players studied harder, hence why they had better careers. Also the average player has less playing experience that can in turn be used to coach individual position groups. Give one, take one. Like I posted above, football is the only sport that has numbers in regards to former professional players becoming coaches, as low as it does. There is simply another factor other than them not being good coaches.

Thread starter #2,078
urban is helping mack brown this spring.
this per an interview with mack published yesterday.
What other team has two NC coaches around in the spring?
the article was in the news observer.
they don't give me many looks for free at their stuff so I aint wasting a hit to provide a link.

Mack Brown
Roy Williams

2 Hall of Fame Coaches
Who else in the Acc has 2? In FB & BB

Exciting times in Chapel Hill.
Laugh all you want. Heels are going to be Rocking.

Thread starter #2,080
Mack Brown
Roy Williams

2 Hall of Fame Coaches
Who else in the Acc has 2? In FB & BB

Exciting times in Chapel Hill.
Laugh all you want. Heels are going to be Rocking.
get back with us after September 21st. you may not be rocking after losing to lower Carolina and asu in back to almost back weeks.

Tim Brewster? Retread? LMAO! He's STILL one of the most proven recruiters in football. Fail.

Tim Cross? Coached on multiple top 25 rush defenses, anchored by the DL and has developed multiple all conference D-lineman. Fail.

Thigpen? Lol is all you have? Figures. ELITE. RECRUITER.

I do find all of this humorous though. Rumors of Drinkwitz and Ledoford leaving, Pratt and Harmon, sitting out, and all you can think to talk about is UNC coaches. LMAO!

Living rent free.
Dre Bly has accomplished zilch in the college coaching game.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Dre Bly has accomplished zilch in the college coaching game.
Well Nostradamus, that's because he's never been a coach. It's hasn't stopped the ABCers from talking him into a failure either. It goes both ways. :)

The one thing that isn't an assumption however is the fact that Dre Bly has achieved football glory at nearly the highest level possible, at every level he's ever played. I think he'll do just fine in articulating that knowledge on a group of eager young men.

Well Nostradamus, that's because he's never been a coach. It's hasn't stopped the ABCers from talking him into a failure either. It goes both ways. :)

The one thing that isn't an assumption however is the fact that Dre Bly has achieved football glory at nearly the highest level possible, at every level he's ever played. I think he'll do just fine in articulating that knowledge on a group of eager young men.

Achieving greatness as a player in the NFL doesn’t translate into achieving success as a college coach.

Before crowning him, let’s see what he can do.

If bill cowher was named states head coach and brought in Tori holt as wr coach state fans on here would be predicting a national championship within 2 years lol. I don't blame lil Carolina fans for being excited. They know they can't get any worse than this year.

Maybe it’s bc he needs the $...and since he was paid so well to play there, he figures they’ll pay him well to coach there, too.

Or maybe it’s bc his name only has 6 total letters and 2 syllables, which makes it easier for the UNC afleetz to read

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Or maybe it’s bc his name only has 6 total letters and 2 syllables, which makes it easier for the UNC afleetz to read
2 is also the number of environments one is able to live in when described as 'amphibious'.

Or if you're an NC State afleete, 'I playz ball gud with bof hands'.

:)

Thread starter #2,092
Speaking of NC State athlete intellect..... didn't Chris Washburn make less than 500 on the SAT? I met him the other day actually...
well I just gotta ask, what would you guess his sat to have been?
but you never know, we had a RB in high school that was offerd free rides across the state but couldn't go because he wouldn't take the sat. He had a physical disability related to his appearance that pigeonholed him into the special ed program.
long story short, he wasnt mentally challenged at all and is fact a reelected politician, state employee for decades.. sats can be useless.
legends abound on low sats for local athletes.

2 is also the number of environments one is able to live in when described as 'amphibious'.

Or if you're an NC State afleete, 'I playz ball gud with bof hands'.

:)

Bingo. No UNC player has used the word amphibious when referring to shooting left or right handed. I laugh every time ESPN refers to it as if you watch it late enough at night after a ball game and a player that night made a left handed Hook shot then a right one they say in the Highlights "Lebron was Amphibious tonight"

well I just gotta ask, what would you guess his sat to have been?
but you never know, we had a RB in high school that was offerd free rides across the state but couldn't go because he wouldn't take the sat. He had a physical disability related to his appearance that pigeonholed him into the special ed program.
long story short, he wasnt mentally challenged at all and is fact a reelected politician, state employee for decades.. sats can be useless.
legends abound on low sats for local athletes.
No way Washburn didnt get help with his classes at ncsu. Feel bad for him but he wasn't the Brightest. When he got let go from the Hawks he was living on the street and would go by Spud Webbs place to bum money. Now as a UNC fan I really like Spud Webb. Saw UNC fans cheer him once. Unc was killing the pack and at garbage time they let him have an easy drive to the basket and he dunked it. The UNC fans applauded him.

Did Kelly Bryant decide on unc yet?I figured with Mack landing Kingsbury, and Cheatzik, it would be a done deal. Anybody heard anything?
Fedora recruited heavily.

Mack recruited heavily.

He picked Missouri.
No on Bryant.

No on Kingsbury.

No on CHeatzik more than likely.

Brown also tried to flip a couple of State commits and got a "thanks but no thanks" from those recruits.

Brown is also going deep on Sam Howell, a 4 star QB out of Sun Valley. He's been an FSU commit forever, but has recently wavered due to coaching instability at FSU and his OC, Walt Bell, leaving and taking another job. The stars are aligning up for him to flip, so let's see if Mack can close the deal.

Edit to add: If Howell doesn't flip, unc will have exactly ONE recruit in the 2019 class in the top 50 of NC.

That's a huge gap on the roster that will take years to recover.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: