ACC Commissioner

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
It was surreal. Felt like comedy.

I don't think people realize how terrible of a job Fuente has done. Or maybe I can because it's nearly identical to Fedora.

He inherited some good talent and great coaches from the previous regime and had a couple of good years. Now that talent is leaving, Bud is gone, he's recruiting at the very bottom of the ACC and he's already lost to ODU, Liberty and UVA in state in the last 2 years. Now his best players are transferring and he's having to offer guys with G5 and FCS offers to try and make up the gap. These next 2 years are about to be a swift kick in the nuts for that program. The fans hate him, they have no money to invest, their recruiting the last 2 cycles has been the worst in the Coastal if not the ACC, their best players are transferring and the coaching is abysmal. They have nothing to build on.
Thanks for the info. Always respected Beamer and the way he did things. By far my favorite school in the Coastal Division. I sure would like to see them back at the level they used to play.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
i sure wasnt informed on that program to that degree. That's why you need to hang around @alt1001 . You know this stuff.

It hasn't been readily apparent to many until the recruiting started tanking overnight. They finished last in the ACC last year and are 3rd from the bottom this year. It seemed to coincide with Bud Foster leaving. Many within VT say he has the personality of a brick and it was becoming obvious that something was amiss with all the internal issues and head scratching losses. Now you have this presser, players transferring and no talent coming in, along with many detailing how many bridges he has burned in the state of Virginia. He was able to keep it together for a little bit when he still had Bud and Bud's connections but not anymore. It's off the rails at this point. Remember this thread these next couple of years when watching VT. They're going to be a shell of their former self if they don't rid themselves of Fuente.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like some Signees are jumping ship at Michigan. That program is in trouble.
Yup that Harbough experiment did not even come close to working out he was done while back but they let this go to 1 year on contract left which surprises me they got the cash to buy him out

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
A lot of people hate Swoff for various reasons but there is no doubt the ACC thrived under his leadership. The TV deals left a lot to be desired here at the end of his tenure but he got rid of deadweight (remember Maryland's athletic budget debacle, they needed the Big 10) and added some viable pieces along the way, exponentially growing the conference. Just since 2000, Miami, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College and Louisville were all added, along with ND in all sports except football permanently.

I think Swoff did a great job for growing the conference but his time is growing stale. We need someone to better manage that growth, to maximize what the ACC can get out of it. I think Phillips can and will be that guy.
He was great for Chapel Hill. Not so much for everyone else. Good riddance. The new guy sounds good. Time will tell.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
He was great for Chapel Hill. Not so much for everyone else. Good riddance. The new guy sounds good. Time will tell.

You can say what you want but the ACC thrived and grew into the most complete conference in the country. If you can't see beyond UNC, oh well.

Last edited:

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
It just keeps getting worse for VT. One of your most treasured former players publicly saying he wouldn't send his kid to VT. Sheesh!

(DeAngelo Hall)

1608304610996.png

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
You can say what you want but the ACC thrived and grew into the most complete conference in the country. If you can't see beyond UNC, oh well.

His landmark achievements are making a terrible deal with Notre Dame, bringing in Syracuse, BC, Louisville, and Miami, and letting the SEC beat him to their own network. Oh, and don’t forget the whole UNC scandal happened on his watch, both figuratively and literally. Excuse me if I don’t bow at his feet. I don’t see where he’s done anything that anyone else in his shoes wouldn’t have done. He wasn’t exactly a bold and creative problem solver. He did get rid of Maryland, so I’ll give him credit there...

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
if he doesnt bring in those teams there is no ACC.
Swofford saved the ACC.
I always wondered if he was as bad as some propose, how did he keep his job? 🤷‍♂️

You don’t get in a position like that without making friends in high places. As far as those other teams coming in, he didn’t preserve the ACC. He just maintained the organization. The ACC has been dead for 20 years.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
You don’t get in a position like that without making friends in high places. As far as those other teams coming in, he didn’t preserve the ACC. He just maintained the organization. The ACC has been dead for 20 years.
i would agree that some schools within the acc have been dead for 20 years. ;)
But I dont believe swofford held them back.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns

"the ACC has been Dead for 20 years" so what about the PAC 10, Big 12, are they mummified in a Pyramid???
The ACC aint dead. I dont know what you have been watching.............

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I sure hope ND stays in.
I think swofford may have ordered dabo to take it easy the second half. :mek: :D
he wants unc in the orange and two in the playoffs from the acc.

ND in mainly because of their quality wins over UNC and Clemson.........A&M doesnt have those 2 quality wins.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
"the ACC has been Dead for 20 years" so what about the PAC 10, Big 12, are they mummified in a Pyramid???
The ACC aint dead. I dont know what you have been watching or smoking.

The original ACC died a long time ago. What we have now is a corporate monstrosity. You can argue it was necessary for the organization to survive and you’d probably be right, but you won’t convince me that the super conferences are better than the small ones.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
His landmark achievements are making a terrible deal with Notre Dame, bringing in Syracuse, BC, Louisville, and Miami, and letting the SEC beat him to their own network. Oh, and don’t forget the whole UNC scandal happened on his watch, both figuratively and literally. Excuse me if I don’t bow at his feet. I don’t see where he’s done anything that anyone else in his shoes wouldn’t have done. He wasn’t exactly a bold and creative problem solver. He did get rid of Maryland, so I’ll give him credit there...

Everything you said is subjective.
-How was the deal with ND terrible? You haven't said once how so and I'll gladly debate you on it.
-To your second point, yea those teams he added lead to the biggest expansion in the Power 5. How on earth are you trying to spin that into a bad thing when conference realignments nearly gutted other conferences?
-The Big 10 and Texas beat everyone to a Network. It's as cut and dry to simply point fingers at a timeline and it be the reason he sucks. There were a lot of moving parts that had to be sorted out for the ACC, based on prior TV deals, before there ever were networks.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Everything you said is subjective.
-How was the deal with ND terrible? You haven't said once how so and I'll gladly debate you on it.
-To your second point, yea those teams he added lead to the biggest expansion in the Power 5. How on earth are you trying to spin that into a bad thing when conference realignments nearly gutted other conferences?
-The Big 10 and Texas beat everyone to a Network. It's as cut and dry to simply point fingers at a timeline and it be the reason he sucks. There were a lot of moving parts that had to be sorted out for the ACC, based on prior TV deals, before there ever were networks.
This entire conversation is subjective, what’s your point? Here’s my reasoning.

Notre Dame- That was a great deal.... for Notre Dame. They get all the perks for being in the best basketball conference in the country, but they don’t have to give up any revenue from football. They literally just threw him a bone saying they would play x number of football games with the ACC, which they basically treat as their non conference slate. They aren’t a part of the ACC yet they still get to play for the ACC title? That’s BS and you know it. You should either be all in or out. None of this half-ass crap.

Expansion- I already conceded that it was likely inevitable. That doesn’t mean I have to think it was a good idea for any conference. It was a cash grab, nothing more. The conference expansions certainly haven’t made any sport better. All they do is put more money in corporate pockets.

Networks- Good for them. You just reinforced my point. Swoff wasn’t some sort of visionary. He literally did what everyone else did. You don’t get points for following the leaders. Did I miss anything?

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Notre Dame- That was a great deal.... for Notre Dame. They get all the perks for being in the best basketball conference in the country, but they don’t have to give up any revenue from football.

Newsflash: Indiana is now considered within the ACC footprint when it comes to subscribers and subsequent TV payout. In other words, while you are correct, ND football does not have to revenue share (they do this year) in every other year, them being in the ACC immensely contributes to the payout and the network revenue share for everyone else, which is about to top $10m this year.

Getting ND to kill their NBC deal and join ANY conference in football, would have been pipe dream for everyone. Getting ND to join in the ACC in any capacity has been beneficial to the ACC. It has been been beneficial in football in strengthening the SOS for ACC schools which strengthens the conference resume come playoff selection time, and has been beneficial in strengthening the overall brand of the ACC in every other sport.

I can't find any negative when the alternative was no ND in any capacity.

Expansion- I already conceded that it was likely inevitable. That doesn’t mean I have to think it was a good idea for any conference. It was a cash grab, nothing more.

If it was inevitable then it was out of their control, so how exactly does this reflect badly on Swoff? Conference realignment WAS inevitable and the ACC came out looking the best. That's pretty damn good leadership if you ask me.

Networks- Good for them. You just reinforced my point. Swoff wasn’t some sort of visionary. He literally did what everyone else did. You don’t get points for following the leaders. Did I miss anything?

He didn't have to be visionary, so what was your point? He just didn't need to screw up the Network deal and he didn't. Again, the ACC Network was delayed for many reasons, one of which was allowing existing television deals to run their course. Well before the generation of conference networks, was the ACC establishing it's own television branding with the likes of Raycom and Jefferson-Pilot Sports, and later on selling their tiered television rights to ESPN, which laid the foundation for the current network.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Simply put, the ND deal was a no risk situation for the conference. The ACC had everything to gain considering the alternative was ND simply not being a part of the ACC in any capacity, the same way it had always been.

ND was the one who assumed the risks of joining the ACC and having their football scheduling agreement in place.

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Newsflash: Indiana is now considered within the ACC footprint when it comes to subscribers and subsequent TV payout. In other words, while you are correct, ND football does not have to revenue share (they do this year) in every other year, them being in the ACC immensely contributes to the payout and the network revenue share for everyone else, which is about to top $10m this year.

Getting ND to kill their NBC deal and join ANY conference in football, would have been pipe dream for everyone. Getting ND to join in the ACC in any capacity has been beneficial to the ACC. It has been been beneficial in football in strengthening the SOS for ACC schools which strengthens the conference resume come playoff selection time, and has been beneficial in strengthening the overall brand of the ACC in every other sport.

I can't find any negative when the alternative was no ND in any capacity.

If it was inevitable then it was out of their control, so how exactly does this reflect badly on Swoff? Conference realignment WAS inevitable and the ACC came out looking the best. That's pretty damn good leadership if you ask me.

He didn't have to be visionary, so what was your point? He just didn't need to screw up the Network deal and he didn't. Again, the ACC Network was delayed for many reasons, one of which was allowing existing television deals to run their course. Well before the generation of conference networks, was the ACC establishing it's own television branding with the likes of Raycom and Jefferson-Pilot Sports, and later on selling their tiered television rights to ESPN, which laid the foundation for the current network.

Didn’t screw it up is not exactly a high bar. I think you overstate how valuable ND is, especially considering that they got a sweetheart deal that would not have been offered to anyone else. You love Swoff because he was at UNC before, and tended to favor them during his tenure as ACC commissioner. I despise him for the same reasons. It is what it is.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Man I'm on your side 100% wanting ND win but that spread is gift this is nothing more than tune up for Bama they'll be resting starters in 4th. Now saying that I'd love to be eating my words
We are going down.......hard

wish it was true fans just got Cincinnati in bowl game