About done with the LC Smith

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Had wanted to open the dove season with my Elsie but it wasn't quite done and we were quarantined because of exposure to someone who was exposed to someone else who came down with Covid so we cancelled doves, cancelled my wife's birthday gala tomorrow and so I jumped on the Elsie and just finished it about 6:30 this afternoon.

She looks pretty good with the new stock and maybe I'll break it in Monday.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 87

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
So...who is enforcing this quarantine and the subsequent requirements to cancel everything?
ME! My wife isn't in the best of health and I've no doubt a raging dose of Covid would be fatal to her so we lock down every time there is a whisper of anyone testing positive in our sphere of friends and family.

We got word yesterday evening that the suspect person tested negative so tomorrow the doves in Davie County are in grave peril.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Are those the shells you will be using? Most of the the folks I’m around only want to put 7/8oz pipsqueak loads through them......but I don’t think the old hunters used baby buckshot and swan loads.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Are those the shells you will be using? Most of the the folks I’m around only want to put 7/8oz pipsqueak loads through them......but I don’t think the old hunters used baby buckshot and swan loads.
No, they just happened to be handy so I grabbed them. I'll go with some lighter loads and learn to give passing birds more of a lead than I'm used to.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nice old shotty!! Makes me want to dig out my great grandfathers 1916 Ithaca. It hasn't been out of the safe in 20 years other than to wipe it down with gun oil a few times.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Very nice, I'm jealous! Does yours have the 2 or 3 position safety, and what are the barrel lengths/chokes?

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Very nice, I'm jealous! Does yours have the 2 or 3 position safety, and what are the barrel lengths/chokes?
Three position, 28 F & M. It's a featherweight but doesn't feel all that light, kinda nose heavy, but maybe it's because I'm not as young and rank as I used to be. The splinter fore end doesn't give you much to hold onto and I'm anxious to see how long it takes me to get used to switching and selecting triggers in the heat of the moment.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
ME! My wife isn't in the best of health and I've no doubt a raging dose of Covid would be fatal to her so we lock down every time there is a whisper of anyone testing positive in our sphere of friends and family.

We got word yesterday evening that the suspect person tested negative so tomorrow the doves in Davie County are in grave peril.

I can understand protecting the wife, but quarantine AFTER possible exposure protects others, not you or her - need to quarantine BEFORE exposure to protect yourself,,,

why I hunt alone - (y)

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I can understand protecting the wife, but quarantine AFTER possible exposure protects others, not you or her - need to quarantine BEFORE exposure to protect yourself,,,

why I hunt alone - (y)
We were trying to protect our kids and grandkids and we rarely interface with others in order to protect ourselves to the degree that I quit my job over a year ago when Covid reared it's ugly head and our social life is near non existent so maybe we can skate by until things get better. Problem is we can't always expect everyone else to be as diligent.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Took the Elsie up to Mocksville today to shoot some doves with my son and grandson but by the time I got there most of the morning flying was about over though we could hear the farm across the creek erupt a few times sounding much like the Tet offensive in Nam but they must have shut their hunt down about 10:30 'cause it went deathly quiet.

I did pattern both barrels on some cardboard; full barrel at 40 yards using 7 1/2 target loads threw a pattern a humming bird couldn't have made it through, but the modified pattern had holes in it a banty rooster could have navigated. I moved up to 30 yards and shot the modified again and there were pigeon sized holes in it. I'm gonna have to experiment with some different loads after I mike out the muzzle and check it for problems before turning it over to a gunsmith.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Three position, 28 F & M. It's a featherweight but doesn't feel all that light, kinda nose heavy, but maybe it's because I'm not as young and rank as I used to be. The splinter fore end doesn't give you much to hold onto and I'm anxious to see how long it takes me to get used to switching and selecting triggers in the heat of the moment.
The splinter fore-end is for keeping the barrels on, more than a grip, or so I'm told. But really nice work on that stock!

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
The splinter fore-end is for keeping the barrels on, more than a grip, or so I'm told. But really nice work on that stock!
Thanks for the compliment, and yeah, it hardly qualifies as a fore end considering most of what I've carried afield were Remington and Browning semi's and my O/U, all of which have a piece of firewood up front.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm gonna have to experiment with some different loads after I mike out the muzzle and check it for problems before turning it over to a gunsmith.
By all means drop those 7 1/2's in favor of 8's. Doves are not hard to kill (hard to hit, but not to kill when you do hit them) and #8 are plenty big to do the job, and the number of shot increases greatly over 7 1/2. There will be far fewer holes in your pattern when you switch to #8..