AAF Tank Museum

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
Last weekend my family took a trip to Danville to visit the AAF Tank Museum because they were having their "Flamethrower Day".

I have to tell you that we spent most of the afternoon in the museum and watched two of the flamethrower demos and want to go back soon. There is so much stuff to look at it was overwhelming. My son and I are going to schedule a "climb on" tour so we can get up close and personal with some of the vehicles.

If you have some time I highly recommend making a visit.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I’ve passed by the signs on the way to the racetrack for years but never have found time to stop in. May have to make day over the upcoming holiday.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
That place is cool.
They carried a tank and the flame throwers to a place not to far away.
Did live demonstration and also live fire of mortars. Really cool.
Pamplin park if I remember.

Uwharrieman

Ten Pointer
We have been there several times with one G-son. Like you, that place is big and so much to see.
We saw the flamethrower which was neat to see, but oh so hot with the heat inside already.
I was born in Danville, most family still live there, three of my uncles pics are on that wall of local vets.
I would advise people to stop by when they can, but I would do it after the summer as the building is hot.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've been told that the guy who runs Triangle Shooting Academy in Raleigh is trying to get it moved across the street from TSA.

Uwharrieman

Ten Pointer
We have been there several times with one G-son. Like you, that place is big and so much to see.
We saw the flamethrower which was neat to see, but oh so hot with the heat inside already.
I was born in Danville, most family still live there, three of my uncles pics are on that wall of local vets.
I would advise people to stop by when they can, but I would do it after the summer as the building is hot.
Another thing is the tank battles the kids have. They have a lot of fun doing them.
You can get on their emailing list and receive updates on upcoming events.

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
I'd never heard of this until stumbling on this post last Friday. Checked out the website and went on Saturday for the vehicle run day. Had a blast, stayed for almost 4 hours. Huge thanks for posting this thread. I am planning to go back for flamethrowers or the tank battles.

Johnnie

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
My first year of Army life I was an M60A-1 crewman/gunner,,,,,

You can have ‘em

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
Please tell me about the vehicle run day.
About once every other month they have a vehicle run day where they select a handful of vehicles and drive them through the warehouse three times per day. When I was there, run times occurred at 11:30, 1, and 2:30. They have a raffle where you can buy tickets (tickets are good for the whole day) to get prizes, including a chance to ride in one of the machines. On my trip, they first had a small atv-like machine with an RPG mounted to the back, then they drove a small rubber tired tank/infantry support machine, third was a fully tracked open top personnel carrier with about 10 lucky raffle winners, and last a 155mm (maybe 8", not sure) self propelled howitzer. They didn't have placards out for these machines so I don't know the models. My understanding is that they do not always drive the same machines, but not all of the machines in the museum are operable. For $10 you could climb up on a German WWII tank (can't remember if it was a Panzer or a Tiger) for a photo opp. It was not crowded (no a/c though) and I would guess there were around 200 people at most.

Johnnie

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Went this morning and holy bajeezus. I could have stayed most of the day just in the machine gun room, much less the tanks on display. It took us 3ish hours to get through it and it would have been longer if it wasn’t so hot today in there. If you’ve not walked 330,000 square feet before, it’s a massive amount of room to cram tanks in to and he’s done a heck of a job at it. He’s got uniforms, guns, tanks, armored vehicles. There’s something for all military collectors.
For anyone looking for a place to eat in Danville, the gal at the gift shop recommended Nikki’s Family Restaurant and I too will recommend them. Probably the best southern home style cooking I’ve ever paid for.