A visit to the Devil's Tramping Ground..

Panthera

Eight Pointer
Rode with my brother to Bear Creek to pick up some tires, and on the way home we stopped at the Devil's Tramping Ground. We had been there before, we both ran the area for Fedex Ground in the past, and sometimes stopped there for lunch. Never saw the Devil, but this time there was a billy goat skull, and a pile of beer cans, complete with Slim Jim wrappers. But this one that that intrigued us.. Deer tracks all around the circle, but none inside it! I followed one set of tracks for about 40 yards up to the circle where the deer took a right and passed without setting one hoof in it! Now I am not ignorant enough to believe that Satan uses the spot to conjure up mischief, there has got to be a natural reason for it. I heard it was a salt lick, and that's why nothing much grows there.
If that is the case, why are no deer tracks inside it? Just wondered if anyone else has visited there.

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I had and relatives living close by and I never put much stock into the place, good bad or other. I camped there with friends when I was in high school to humor them and it was entirely uneventful. There's plenty of other stories and opinions about the place.

<>< Fish

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
What’s strange is animals won’t go near it.. I’m not from there and have never been but I’ve heard stories my entire life. It’s interesting coming from the locals that y’all don’t think much of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I’ve been there and the Maco Light and Brown Mountain and they’re all a bunch of nothing. There is always a logical explanation for what is thought to be supernatural if one looks hard enough. If some people want to believe otherwise that’s no skin off my nose just don’t expect me to buy into it.

22LR

Twelve Pointer
As a teenager my friends and I would place objects in the circle and they all ways got moved outside the circle the next morning. I don't have an explanation but that's what really happened. I have went back one time since and it looked the same. Private property now.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I’ve been there and the Maco Light and Brown Mountain and they’re all a bunch of nothing. There is always a logical explanation for what is thought to be supernatural if one looks hard enough. If some people want to believe otherwise that’s no skin off my nose just don’t expect me to buy into it.
Bold talk for a one eye'd fat man.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
What’s the brown mtn lights like? I’ve always wanted to witness that as well. The stories around that are pretty wild!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Rode with my brother to Bear Creek to pick up some tires, and on the way home we stopped at the Devil's Tramping Ground. We had been there before, we both ran the area for Fedex Ground in the past, and sometimes stopped there for lunch. Never saw the Devil, but this time there was a billy goat skull, and a pile of beer cans, complete with Slim Jim wrappers. But this one that that intrigued us.. Deer tracks all around the circle, but none inside it! I followed one set of tracks for about 40 yards up to the circle where the deer took a right and passed without setting one hoof in it! Now I am not ignorant enough to believe that Satan uses the spot to conjure up mischief, there has got to be a natural reason for it. I heard it was a salt lick, and that's why nothing much grows there.
If that is the case, why are no deer tracks inside it? Just wondered if anyone else has visited there.
[/QUOTE
Haven't been back since my divorce :D

Panthera

Eight Pointer
Both times we saw them was in October about ten years ago from Wiseman's View off of hy 181. First time there were five or six red ones that came out of the gorge and moved back and forth across the face of the mountain. They would appear to wink out, then reappear. They were visible for about an hour then winked out. Second time they were greenish, and around ten were seen. Sometimes they ran together and formed a mass, then split up and went in a line.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
As a boy growing up in NC the traditional 'ghost stories' and mysteries were firmly implanted in our minds, and I remember a small book that detailed all the ones mentioned here, and more. The only one I got to experience first hand was the Maco Light, while on a Boy Scout camping trip. The Scout Master stopped the bus, we all piled out and started walking down the tracks Then the light appeared in the distance and started slowly heading in our direction. The entire Troop saw it, and we were all very impressed that it matched exactly what had been written about it.

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Having grown up hearing about it i was disappointed when i finally saw it. It has been a while since i saw it. But its just kind of a small rocky like opening in the woods right? My dad camped out there in high school and put out trip wires. 2 drunks got tangled up in them in midfle of night looking for the devil. My brother camped out there and drank a beer someone had left sitting in the midfle of the circle.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
There must be more than one Devil's Tramping Ground. There's a grove of trees just across the Caswell-Person County line on the edge of a farmer's field in Caswell County that my Dad said is called the Devil's Circle. He said people would say when he was a kid that if you threw a stick into the circle, the devil kicked it back out.

He grew up in Caswell & Gates Counties, but he hasn't been back to Caswell in 50 years until now. Either he misremembered where it's at or there is more than one?