A Special Tail and Beard Mount, Remembering a Special Season

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
IMG_0549.jpg I wrote earlier about my plan to do a memorial turkey hunt as a tribute to my father. The season was exciting and hunting with my dad's shotgun I was able to take two gobblers while woods hunting, which is by far my favorite place to hunt these birds. Neither bird was especially outstanding as far as beards and spurs go but both came to my call in full strut and both came from long distances- and the first bird had a short second beard. I pondered what sort of double tail mount I might do and came up with this. A little buckskin in red and in brown accented with some blue glass beads. It was indeed a very special turkey season for me and the memories of those early mornings with the sounds of the Whippoorwills and those hearty gobbles in answer to my 40 year old box call still play through my mind. I will think of all of that and a father that taught me to love and respect all of the things out there in Nature when I look at this mount.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
View attachment 66264 I wrote earlier about my plan to do a memorial turkey hunt as a tribute to my father. The season was exciting and hunting with my dad's shotgun I was able to take two gobblers while woods hunting, which is by far my favorite place to hunt these birds. Neither bird was especially outstanding as far as beards and spurs go but both came to my call in full strut and both came from long distances- and the first bird had a short second beard. I pondered what sort of double tail mount I might do and came up with this. A little buckskin in red and in brown accented with some blue glass beads. It was indeed a very special turkey season for me and the memories of those early mornings with the sounds of the Whippoorwills and those hearty gobbles in answer to my 40 year old box call still play through my mind. I will think of all of that and a father that taught me to love and respect all of the things out there in Nature when I look at this mount.
Good experience & memories for you and memorial to your Father
👌

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
View attachment 66264 I wrote earlier about my plan to do a memorial turkey hunt as a tribute to my father. The season was exciting and hunting with my dad's shotgun I was able to take two gobblers while woods hunting, which is by far my favorite place to hunt these birds. Neither bird was especially outstanding as far as beards and spurs go but both came to my call in full strut and both came from long distances- and the first bird had a short second beard. I pondered what sort of double tail mount I might do and came up with this. A little buckskin in red and in brown accented with some blue glass beads. It was indeed a very special turkey season for me and the memories of those early mornings with the sounds of the Whippoorwills and those hearty gobbles in answer to my 40 year old box call still play through my mind. I will think of all of that and a father that taught me to love and respect all of the things out there in Nature when I look at this mount.
Great story. And great idea on that fan mount.
might have to copy that if you don’t mind.
That’s really sharp

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
While ago Aaron? A great way to bring back those memories and when you look at it, think of the memories to come, God willing. Your Dad still living?

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
While ago Aaron? A great way to bring back those memories and when you look at it, think of the memories to come, God willing. Your Dad still living?
My dad died in 1993. I inherited his shotgun- killed my first turkey with it years ago. These days I don't hunt with that old Browning much but this turkey season it was every bit as good as ever.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Aaron, we about same age. My Dad died in 1991 I believe. He fought cancer for 6 years. He didn't hunt but could shoot a 22 rifle. As a kid I remember he could sit down on the ground and stick a match in the ground few yards out and light that match with a 22 single shot. Lot of memories with that little short barrel Winchester. My brother got it when Dad died. Dad let an older black gentleman use it once, and he committed suicide with it. You get a bird this year?

gobbler

Eight Pointer
My dad died in 1993. I inherited his shotgun- killed my first turkey with it years ago. These days I don't hunt with that old Browning much but this turkey season it was every bit as good as ever.
Looking good, tss would breathe some life back in that browning

who made your box call

who made your box call

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Aaron, we about same age. My Dad died in 1991 I believe. He fought cancer for 6 years. He didn't hunt but could shoot a 22 rifle. As a kid I remember he could sit down on the ground and stick a match in the ground few yards out and light that match with a 22 single shot. Lot of memories with that little short barrel Winchester. My brother got it when Dad died. Dad let an older black gentleman use it once, and he committed suicide with it. You get a bird this year?
I would like to have seen him light that match. Yes, I killed 2 gobblers this season, both Chatham Co birds and each taken on different land that I've turkey hunted in the past but had never gotten a bird at either place before. It was a special season for me in more ways than just taking a gobbler.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Aaron, I have some land in Chatham like 2 miles from Harnett/Chatham line on 42....backs up to lake dam. Killed my first bird there in 97 believe it was.

Redman6

Four Pointer
Awsome story and memories that can't be taken! I hope my boy's take my old shotgun one day and kill things with it.
I am intrigued by the mount as that is one of the coolest 😎turkey fan mounts I've ever seen. What did you use to hold the beards? I can't quite tell from the pic. Great job!

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Awsome story and memories that can't be taken! I hope my boy's take my old shotgun one day and kill things with it.
I am intrigued by the mount as that is one of the coolest 😎turkey fan mounts I've ever seen. What did you use to hold the beards? I can't quite tell from the pic. Great job!
The beards are wrapped with deerskin and a strap of deer hide that goes through the backing board which is covered with the red leather.