A long story with no point

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have a friend who owns about seventy acres about a half hour outside of town where he will one day build a home. A few years ago I asked him if I could hunt and shoot there, and he said sure, he appreciated having someone on the property. It’s become quite a refuge for me; often I bring friends to help me set up a stand, or clear shooting lanes, or bang some gong targets. And sometimes, I just go there to be alone, walk the property, and read my Bible.

Today, I headed out there with my M&P 15-22 and Sig M400 AR-15. Just at the driveway, I saw the neighbor’s younger son Ethan, a middle schooler, on the Polaris heading down the road. I rolled the window down to say hello, and then I heard a .22 coming from their farm, and Ethan said it was his brother Evan, 15. I decided to pull into their farm because I’d been wanting to show them the 15-22.

Jack, the father, has been teaching them some shooting with a traditional .22, but those boys instantly loved the 15-22. It’s just the stock FDE version with a Vortex Sparc II. We were making mud hole explosions like it was Apocalypse Now. Then I brought out the M400 and we went to work on the reactive targets. Every time one popped up in the air, they just roared with laughter.

Then we took the Polaris over to my land, and started banging away on the gongs. Evan was quite a shot. Ethan got a bruise on his shoulder but told his dad he didn’t want it to go away because he wanted to show it to his buddies. Those boys were a delight to be around. They were respectful and consistently said “yes, sir” to me and their dad. They listened to instruction and showed good discipline around the rifles.

Jack offered to pay for the ammo but I told him no, he’s probably going to have to buy a couple of rifles now because of my visit. I did ask him if he had ever tried to find out what fish were in his pond, and he told me I could come by and fish it any time. On the way out we did a couple of doughnuts in the Polaris, took it up to 50 mph, and got back to his farm just as the rain started again.

What’s the point of this story? I dunno. Maybe that men need to spend time alone, friends are good to have, shooting and making new shooters and being outdoors is fun. It’s encouraging to see that some families are still doing it right. I’m blessed to live in a great country. God loves me and gives me all I need. Except now I need a Polaris.

Last edited:

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
WHAT!! You mean you were shooting guns around KIDS!!...and letting THEM shoot those dangerous things too! OMG! and flying around on those dangerous motorbikes to boot! Kids that age should be laying around the house watching video games and shooting up drugs! ;)

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Well done! I'd say your story's point was to give us all a good example of a wonderful afternoon invested in the lives of some model youths and in the future of the great outdoors. Thanks for sharing.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Now it’s time to show those boys how to fish!
I'm afraid they wouldn't catch anything but frustration with me. Want to catch more fish than your buddy? Invite me along. But hey, I'm out there, maybe one day I can stand in the lure section at Bass Pro and not feel totally stupid.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
If it’s any indication of everything else here and elsewhere, I kept waiting for the negative part. I don’t know why, I was just sure it was coming. What a great story and I enjoyed it thoroughly!!! Thank you!!!

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Sounds like freedom...

Every time I hear the neighbors banging steel, it sounds like freedom.
I had both those boys shooting at the same time and they were emptying magazines as fast as they could load them. We were in a low place where the sound bounced around so you heard every shot multiple times. It sounded more like Fallujah than freedom. But that only added to the fun.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for sharing. I'm a bit of a loner but I train Jiu-Jitsu with some really good people. A few of us have boys around the same age from 8-12. I just invited a group to grill and shoot .22's at the farm. Nothing like seeing a bunch of boys being boys and reliving our youth. It's good for the soul.