A little help from the collectors....

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks guys! The only markings I can find on the barrel read "1883" and "Torino". I haven't figured out how to remove the bolt for a serious inspection but the bore that I can see looks good and the rifle still functions. It's missing the rear sight and apparently the cleaning rod that rides in the stock under the barrel.....
On the stock, stamped into the wood, are CA or QA 1497. There's also a round symbol stamped into the wood but it's illegible...

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
OK, a good cleaning/wipe down with Barricade showed the markings I found on your links and showed this to be a matching number rifle. Numerous patches down the bore also showed that to be in really nice shape. LOL, what are my chances for finding ammo or would this be best suited as a wallhanger? Any real collector's value?

Last edited:

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
OK, a good cleaning/wipe down with Barricade showed the markings I found on your links and showed this to be a matching number rifle. Numerous patches down the bore also showed that to be in really nice shape. LOL, what are my chances for finding ammo or would this be best suited as a wallhanger? Any real collector's value?

I owned the Swiss version back in the 60's, manufactured in 1881 in Bern, Switzerland. The firing pin is two piece, the main firing pin striking the smaller horseshoe shaped pin situated in the front of the bolt which in turn struck the rim on both sides. That's right, it's a rimfire and 50 years ago the cartridges (.41 caliber blackpowder) were collectors items. There are a number of them out there which have been modified by drilling an opening in the center of the bolt face and then an extension to the main firing pin being welded up and shaped. Seems like I remember them using 30-30 brass or something similar to size and fireform cases from. Google should put you on the right track to read about the conversion should you ever want to fire it. So far as value, Gun Brokers should give you a good idea.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Pretty cool, thanks Blackwater! I'm not much on military rifles, I'll probably just use it as trade fodder for some kind of CC pistol....

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Pretty cool, thanks Blackwater! I'm not much on military rifles, I'll probably just use it as trade fodder for some kind of CC pistol....

After doing a little research I think your rifle might already be a centerfire which simplifies things considerably should you want to fire it. The Swiss rifle I had was of the rimfire version. Some of the Vetterli's were modified to shoot the 6.5 Carcano round, but if you can stick a lead pencil down the barrel then it's still the 10.4mm.

If it's in pretty good shape you might be surprised what it will bring at auction.

Last edited:

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
You may have to make a chamber cast to be absolute sure of the cartridge, but it very well could be chambered for the 10.4mm x 47 Rimmed round. If it is cahmbered for the 10.4mmx47R rounds, ammunition may be very hard to come by.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
I owned the Swiss version back in the 60's, manufactured in 1881 in Bern, Switzerland. The firing pin is two piece, the main firing pin striking the smaller horseshoe shaped pin situated in the front of the bolt which in turn struck the rim on both sides. That's right, it's a rimfire and 50 years ago the cartridges (.41 caliber blackpowder) were collectors items. There are a number of them out there which have been modified by drilling an opening in the center of the bolt face and then an extension to the main firing pin being welded up and shaped. Seems like I remember them using 30-30 brass or something similar to size and fireform cases from. Google should put you on the right track to read about the conversion should you ever want to fire it. So far as value, Gun Brokers should give you a good idea.

You must have had one chambered in the 10.4mmx38 Rimfire round, then.

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
One more question and I'll quit bothering you guys. Being an antique does any sale/transfer have to go through an FFL?

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
You must have had one chambered in the 10.4mmx38 Rimfire round, then.

Yep, mine was the 10.4 x38, and weighed a ton. I was given it by an older cousin who thought his Dad brought it back from the Great War, but they were imported in high numbers back in the 20's and 30's so I suspect that's where it came from. I had it with me when stationed out in the Mojave Desert and let a sergeant fool me out of it for six dollars when it meant putting a couple of meals on the table for me and my wife until payday came on Monday. I tried to buy it back from him later and he was holding out for 25 dollars so I told him to stuff it. Now it's worth several hundred.