A little Firearm Value help.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Hey everyone. One of my nephews inherited a few firearms from a relative. He has no interest in keeping them and was asking about values on the firearms. Below is what he inherited. Any help with a basic value would be helpful. I know that the value depends on what type of shape they are in. Just looking for a general value.

Springfield Trapdoor 1884 45/70cal Serial# 22860
Krag-Jorgensen 30-40 cal govt Springfield armory serial #5737 model 1984
Ithaca double barrel 20 gauge snipe grade serial # 385116
1879 Winchester low-wall 22 short serial # 129483

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks MarkIMG_0107.jpgIMG_0108.jpgIMG_0110.jpgIMG_0109.jpg

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Hard to tell from pictures.
I do see a lot of the Krags and Trapdoors for sale at the range.
Most them the market is in the 450 to 650 for the normal trapdoor.
Market range from 550 to 800 on the Krag.
Those look dark, maybe were on display or storage. The bores on most are not the best based on the primer and powder. Sometimes on the trapdoors the chambers are pitted to the point they eat brass but still shoot.
Price range only. If you take the time to clean them up and get some facts on them as to history they could be worth more if conditions are very good.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
sniper grade
That would be "snipe". So much depends on the condition of these doubles, which cannot be seen in the pics. Any cracks or chips in stock, recoil pads added, barrels cut, rust inside or out, refinish of wood or metal, will cause big value drops. Also barrel length and chokes. Shorter and more open = more value. This is potentially a very nice gun, more info/pics would help.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
That would be "snipe". So much depends on the condition of these doubles, which cannot be seen in the pics. Any cracks or chips in stock, recoil pads added, barrels cut, rust inside or out, refinish of wood or metal, will cause big value drops. Also barrel length and chokes. Shorter and more open = more value. This is potentially a very nice gun, more info/pics would help.
Thanks for the correction.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
Cherry's Fine Guns in Greensboro gave me some good appraisals when I had some old guns I was looking to sell.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Also depends on date of manufacture.

Some folks like to collect guns made in or before 1898 as they are not considered firearms by the feds

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Cherry's Fine Guns in Greensboro gave me some good appraisals when I had some old guns I was looking to sell.
Did they extend the offer or just appraisal?
Thing I have ran into many times is places that will do the appraisal charge for it and want to make you happy for handing over money then pad the price because they are not going to buy it.
Works great for insurance but they have priced many items high only to have the person that owns them try to sell based on that to find out the same thing In local shops sell for lots less.
Been seeing that a lot with military guns.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
Did they extend the offer or just appraisal?
Thing I have ran into many times is places that will do the appraisal charge for it and want to make you happy for handing over money then pad the price because they are not going to buy it.
Works great for insurance but they have priced many items high only to have the person that owns them try to sell based on that to find out the same thing In local shops sell for lots less.
Been seeing that a lot with military guns.
They did a free appraisal, and offered to take it to sell on consignment. I can't remember what their consignment fee was, maybe 20 pct? I didn't take them up on it, sold the guns myself.

double

Twelve Pointer
The absolute best way to appraise a gun imo is look at completed auctions on gunbroker. That will show you what it sold for and how much shipping was. If selling local your selling price plus shipping plus a $20 ffl fee is you selling price. With very old guns it is best to find a forum online strictly about that gun and let them know you have it. They bring more money to people who specifically are looking for that gun than just guns in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roughrider

Six Pointer
Contender when you settle on a price for the ithaca let us know I would definitely be interested. Like LW said though it may be out of my range.

Thanks!