A Henry with a side loading gate!

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Henry has upped the ante with the side loading gate on the carbines chambered in Win. .30-30, .35 Rem and the .38-55. It is going to hard for me to resist the one in .38-55, to go with my Marlin CB in the same caliber.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That page was talking about the advantages of the side gate. What are the advantages? I’ve never had a tube magazine for anything other than .22lr, but is it a problem on bigger guns?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That page was talking about the advantages of the side gate. What are the advantages? I’ve never had a tube magazine for anything other than .22lr, but is it a problem on bigger guns?
Krag's were side loaders. Not really a problem but not exactly ideal for a military rifle.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Posted the page to show the rifle. The theory of the loading gate was you could take a shot and put one back in the magazine without rendering the rifle useless. I do like loading gates on lever rifles, they just don't look right without them. There is no other reason for me. It is easier to unload the Henry made rifles, with the tubes.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Krag's were side loaders. Not really a problem but not exactly ideal for a military rifle.
Yep the Krag was a great rifle but better as a carbine.

One of the big advantage to the Krag and side loading gates waz it made it fast and easy to reload. The Krag you could pop it open drop a few more rounds in and keep shooting. The guy was still able to fire at any point of reloading.