A great first season!

KrisB

Ten Pointer
This was my first season trapping and small game hunting and it turned out to be quite the season! I shot my first squirrel and loved it. Would have liked to get on some more squirrels, but I kept hesitating and messing up my shots. Will definitely put in more shooting practice with the .22 for next season. But I loved spending time in the woods hunting for them anyway!

I trapped my first 2 beaver and my first coon, thanks to @lasttombstone. The 2 beaver furs dried beautifully (at least to me), thanks to @QuietButDeadly's mentorship and help. Waiting for them to get back from the tannery so I can make them into something special.

The coon is still drying in my "shur shed" (coined by @Tom cat: she shed + fur shed = shur shed), but will hopefully be done soon. It is the first fur I fleshed and put up all on my own with my new Sheffield fleshing knife and my very own PVC fleshing beam (big thanks to Tom cat for the beam!). I feel like a real trapper now!

I had some great adventures this season with and learned a lot from some amazing people. Many thanks to @41magnum for the traps and trapping gear and answering my questions. Thank you to Kenton (he is not on NCH&F, but is on the NCTA forum), QuietButDeadly, and @RPD689 for the trapping ride alongs! Special thanks to @YanceyGreenhorn for being patient with my new trapper frustrations and always encouraging me not to give up.

Can't say thank you enough to all of you. I wouldn't have had the success I did without y'all's mentorship, guidance, and immense patience answering my many questions!

It was a great season and I am so looking forward to the next one!

Last edited:

RPD689

Spike
I still chuckle at your reaction when the coyote let out that loud bark/howl warning.

I regret that you saw the bad side of people at that last set that we checked. You can't let things like that take you out of your game.

Having you along was enjoyable. You are welcome anytime.

Tom cat

Spike
I just paid back a little bit of the help I received when first starting out... I'm still learning myself. But it's been a fun experience to say the least. If you think I'm a mentor Kris...... you set the bar pretty low..... lol just holler at me I'll help you out anyway I can.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I still chuckle at your reaction when the coyote let out that loud bark/howl warning.

I regret that you saw the bad side of people at that last set that we checked. You can't let things like that take you out of your game.

Having you along was enjoyable. You are welcome anytime.
Man, Kris told me she did some ride alongs, but she didn’t tell me it was with the Old Goat himself. Thanks for keeping us newer folks going !

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I just paid back a little bit of the help I received when first starting out... I'm still learning myself. But it's been a fun experience to say the least. If you think I'm a mentor Kris...... you set the bar pretty low..... lol just holler at me I'll help you out anyway I can.
I feel the same way but like you said, we do what we can